How do you remove rust?

babybunny

Oct 5, 2004
What should I use to remove rust from an old chain, crankset, and cassette? I asked the LBS if I should replace the parts but he said that it was just surface rust.

Hoping to save some money over replacements by de-rusting my parts...

babybunny said:
What should I use to remove rust from an old chain, crankset, and cassette? I asked the LBS if I should replace the parts but he said that it was just surface rust.

Try fine grade steel wool. You can also find some polishing compounds at the auto parts stores that may be easier to work into some of the hard to get places. You can also try using some Naval Jelly rust remover but be sure to follow the directions as it is very caustic.

Chances are that if you lube the chain well, the friction of it moving will work off much of the surface rust. But fine steel wool (0000 grade) should be a good choice or else autosol metal polish. It will dull your parts though as it creates a fine network of scratches. This will also leave your parts more vulnerable to rust int he future so make sure to keep things good and lubed from now on.

Dry bunny pellets can remove rust.

babybunny said: