How do you set your computer?

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
My computer (cateye) has 2 settings for timing. One keeps the clock running even when I stop, and the other stops the clock when I stop riding and resumes when I resume riding. While this makes no difference for the ride itself in measuring my speed, distance or cadence, when I keep track of my average speed for training purposes, it can make a difference of up to 5%, depending on whether I make or just miss some long red lights en route.

I was curious as to how people deal with the issue for training purposes.

I keep mine on the stop/start setting, I like to know my average speed while riding, not stopped at red lights.

I too set mine to stop/start. The average speed calcuations are a better comparison for the effort that I have used.

--Jeff

I user the auto-timer setting.

I got a new bike and computer recently, and I accidentally had the computer on the manual start/stop setting. In the middle of my first "real" ride on the bike, I got a phone call from work. (I know, I know, why the hell did I answer it?) I was on the phone for quite a while -- with the timer still running. When I finished my ride, my average speed was AWFUL!

Two lessons:
- Use the auto timer on the computer.
- Don't answer phone calls while on a ride, especially ones from work! ;)