How do you solve the hunger issues?

AdamSean

Aug 11, 2011
I am new to trying to watch what I eat. I am trying to lose 15 to 20 lbs during my triathlon training. I have been able to lose the weight in the past by lifting weights. I have plenty of workouts planned and will drop the weight in a couple of months. What I want to know is a good way to push aside those boredom hunger cravings. If I am sitting at home resting, I tend to go looking for a snack. And end up doing that all day. Then I hate myself.

How do you 'Punch hunger in the face'?

A way to solve boredom hunger pangs...

... don't become bored. ;)

Seriously, do something. Go wash the bike and do some basic maintenance. Go do some stretches or go for a gentle ride on the bike if you're bored and fancy some relaxing time. If you've been carrying the bike around in the back of the car, go see if there's any oil stains from the chain on the interior that could do with a wipe down. You get the idea :p

Often, when I'm in that situation I figure that I'm actually over-tired and a snooze will take care of things nicely and I never wake up hungry or have a desire to snack as long as I've had my "3 square" that day.

If I'm completely bored to the point where I can't be bothered doing anything - I'll just go chill in a hot bath and listen to some music.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Have some healthy snacks at hand so that when you are feeling hungry, what you grab is something you will not be guilty of upon eating. It is also a mind over matter thing in which you have to avoid thinking of food when you are hungry and think of all the training and effort to went through in order for you to lose all that weight. Eating small and frequent meals throughout the day also helps in keeping you full without overeating and triggering cravings and pigging out. [/SIZE]

Finding healthy snacks is a great suggestion. However, when I try having small, frequent meals throughout the day I eat more than I should. I think this is mostly due to how I typically eat. I like feeling full after a meal and eating a lot. Moreover, when I begin eating I have difficulties stopping, but if I don't eat at all I am able to retain self control.

You can try a pre-workout supplement. Most of those are effective in decreasing appetite. I also suggest having a glass of water with a tablespoon or two of apple vinegar cider. It may seem gross, but you get used to it after awhile. My appetite was notably smaller after doing this.

Eat lots of fruit and eat fruit as snacks. I eat 3-4 bananas a day plus an apple. An hour after dinner I'll usually have a bowl of fruit salad and yoghurt. I've dropped 5kg since the start of the year and pretty close now to my target / lean weight. Currently 75.4kg 182cm tall. Looking to get to 72kg. I weigh myself every day and enter my weight into my training log. Couple of years ago I was 102kg.

Lift weights to lose weight? Seems an inefficient way to lose weight. I think you're much better to do high intensity short trainer workouts e.g. 30 minutes where you're heart rate is in zone 4 and 5. Great for weight loss plus great for your fitness. Today's workout for me was 2 of these even though it's warm and sunny outside.

I agree with keeping yourself busy. It seems like we've gotten to the point where relaxation is accompanied with eating something. So, keep busy. If you need to eat, eat well. I like to prepackage a lot of the things I'm going to eat so it's readily available when I need to eat a meal & it's properly balanced as well as measured out. Helps a lot on the go.

You can actually eat to beat boredom hunger pangs and still lose weight. Eat extremely low-calorie fruits like Pears. The extra high dietary fiber takes care of any cholesterol build-up from fat meats like beef. Nothing wrong in healthy snacking. It would bring down the quantity of food you consume in your regular meals.

If you eat whenever you are bored, which is what I do, then you need to occupy yourself and keep your mind off of eating. It will help you tremendously, whether you know it or not.

I hate to deprive myself of the things I like and in this case craving for food. You do not have to be strict in your diet really. I still eat whatever I like but in moderation. Life is an experience make every moment count.

Keyan said:
I hate to deprive myself of the things I like and in this case craving for food. You do not have to be strict in your diet really. I still eat whatever I like but in moderation. Life is an experience make every moment count.
I agree with that, but modertaion for things like donuts means not eating many donuts lol.

Meh. I don't believe in trying to punch hunger in the face. If I'm hungry, then I'll eat whatever I'm craving and that's that. I'll work out harder the next time to try to offset that consumption, but I have a pretty big appetite for food throughout the day. I gain a few pounds here and there, but it hasn't proven difficult to stay at a moderate weight range and stay in shape .

Yes, impossible to be riding the bike wanting to eat. Better carry some energy bars so that we can face that lack of energy and enjoy the ride after that.