How do you stay in shape in the winter?

Micheal Artindale

Guest
"Rick Osborn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

Normally the bike goes away when the snow hits the ground.

I x-ski on a groomed trail, hike on trails. There is also the local Y for
some swimming.

I also put on some winter body fat.

This year, i am biking until i get a vehcile.

Micheal

In Canada

Rick Osborn wrote:
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

Ride!!! It's a mountain bike for god's sake! Don't be like the wimps
who didn't show up for today's ride because it was 48F. These are the
same losers who'll ski when it's 10F. What the f*ck's the difference?
Dress in layers, use a glove liner, wear thermal socks, and put a skull
cap on under your helmet. Some of the best riding I have ever done has
been in sub-freezing temps. The ground is hard and fast and the trails
are near empty, not too mention NO BUGS!

'Nuff said, now go have some fun!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Rick Osborn wrote:
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

I ride until I really can't 'take the cold any more. After that I ski and
spin.

~Penny S

Cyclocross! High intensity, short duration and you rarely get cold. And yes,
you can Cyclocross on an mtb.

Mike

"Rick Osborn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

RE/
>Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

I ride as low temps as my bronchs can take it before the coughing starts to bug
my Better Half.

Then it's strength training and swimming.... For me, I think it's good to get
away from biking and windsurfing for a few months.
--
PeteCresswell

Rick Osborn wrote:
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

I eat lots and drink beer.
That way when the weather warms up and the riding is perfect, I can
justify spending an unnatural amount of time with my bike with the
approval, nay, blessings, of the wife just by saying that I need to lose
a few pounds.
--
Westie
"A plan so cunning..."

"Rick Osborn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

rode yesterday and today with 4" of powder snow on the ground.

a few tracks around but much less traffic than usual.

too bad for them -- winter ridings a blast

DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Wait a sec. I thought you said you do that all year round. :)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

wrote:

> Rick Osborn wrote:
>> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

> I eat lots and drink beer.
> That way when the weather warms up and the riding is perfect, I can
> justify spending an unnatural amount of time with my bike with the
> approval, nay, blessings, of the wife just by saying that I need to lose
> a few pounds.
> --
> Westie
> "A plan so cunning..."

hehehe :) Pure genius.. I love it.
--
Slacker

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:56:31 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Slacker wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:42:32 +1300, Westie
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I eat lots and drink beer.
>>> That way when the weather warms up and the riding is perfect, I can
>>> justify spending an unnatural amount of time with my bike with the
>>> approval, nay, blessings, of the wife just by saying that I need to
>>> lose a few pounds.
>>> -- Westie
>>> "A plan so cunning..."

>> hehehe :) Pure genius.. I love it.

> Wait a sec. I thought you said you do that all year round. :)

I do, but I'm not married :) :)

--
Slacker

On 14 Nov 2004 15:57:35 -0800, [email protected] (Rick Osborn)
wrote:

>Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

Just ride,
Bill

[email protected] (Rick Osborn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

If the trails are rideable, I'll ride even if it gets cold. Just
dress appropriately.

If the trails are too wet, but it's not raining or snowing outside,
I'll ride the road and run.

If none of that works, I use indoor equipment such as the stair
stepper, nordic-trak, treadmill, and bike trainer.

If that doesn't work, there's always beer and chips on the couch.

xc skiing now and then is good, too.

paladin

Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rick Osborn wrote:
>> Do you train indoor (rollers), run, dress warmly and ride anyway??

> Ride!!! It's a mountain bike for god's sake! Don't be like the wimps
> who didn't show up for today's ride because it was 48F. These are the
> same losers who'll ski when it's 10F. What the f*ck's the difference?

:) but true. Skiers wear heavier clothes though. I ride 'til it's below 35
deg.F
outside.

> Dress in layers, use a glove liner, wear thermal socks, and put a
> skull cap on under your helmet.

Good advice.

--
- Zilla