How do you stay motivated?

brad g

Jul 22, 2006
I have been in a slump for about a month now. I just can't get back into the swing of things. I pinched a nerve in my neck by running in the Relay for Life on November 4th, and have only ridden the bike a couple of times since then. It seems that I just don't have the motivation to go through the pain again of getting back in the saddle, especially with my neck still hurting. Before this happened, you would have been hard pressed to find a time that I wasn't on my bike. I rode to work, rode to town, rode for recreation, rode for exercise, and averaged about 20 miles a day. I probably haven't ridden 20 miles in the last month and it's really starting to impact my morale. I just want to know if anyone has been through something like this and how did you motivate yourself to get back in the saddle.

brad g said:
I have been in a slump for about a month now. I just can't get back into the swing of things. I pinched a nerve in my neck by running in the Relay for Life on November 4th, and have only ridden the bike a couple of times since then. It seems that I just don't have the motivation to go through the pain again of getting back in the saddle, especially with my neck still hurting. Before this happened, you would have been hard pressed to find a time that I wasn't on my bike. I rode to work, rode to town, rode for recreation, rode for exercise, and averaged about 20 miles a day. I probably haven't ridden 20 miles in the last month and it's really starting to impact my morale. I just want to know if anyone has been through something like this and how did you motivate yourself to get back in the saddle.
I took a LONG time off, but in short-I got chubby, thought about bike racing and got the urge to do it again. But i know where your at cause Ive been there more than a few times since the 90's!!! I wish I could help more.

I just always feel refreshed after I ride and I tend to feed on that feeling. It helps me to surround myself with cycling related stuff... surfing cycling related web pages, reading magazines etc. I also have cycling goals set, and I know that every time I ride I come closer to reaching those goals. If I miss a ride, I feel like a dirt bag and ride twice as hard the next chance I get. Hope that helps some.

Pain is you're body's way of telling you, "something is wrong." Do something else to stay fit while you heal. If you do nothing you will only become more depressed. In the meantime buy a few new parts and upgrade you're ride.
Rent some cycling vids and read cycling mags to stay motivted. And most important, keep in touch with the therapists here at cyclingforums...

Put your bike clothes on! On days when I am feeling unmotivated, I would resolve to put my bike gear on- that would put me over the top!

Don't do a "ride" the first few times. Just tool around the neighborhood or local park. Stretch the legs and remind your bum not to go flabby.

You love something about bicycling, that ought "spark the flame again" so to speak.

Cheers! BornInZion

Sounds like your on the verge of burning out or have already. I find that time off isn't all that bad just keep active. I take up jogging/fast walking in the winter months as long as the walks aren't icey then ride the rollers a few times a week just to keep the legs moving. Although this year in the NEast has been great for winter riding due to mild temps and lack of salty sand on the roads. Don't put too much pressure on yourself you have a lifetime to ride and cross training can only help. Keep things interesting-trust me after jogging for a few weeks you will miss being in the saddle!!!

Standing in front of a mirror naked has always worked well for me. :D

Mixing in some cross training when I start to get stale on the bike does too.

Otherwise, when I start to feel a little down about the bike, I definitely add an element of just plain fun. This weekend all I did was end of season bike maintenance, with a couple of tune up rides around the neighborhood to test my work, and practicing track stands in my driveway while my 8 year-old rode circles around me talking non-stop about how great it was to be riding circles around me.

But as has been said, when you are injured, focus on getting well. Think positively about doing that. Don't grind yourself down any further by stressing or being negative over it. Just heal and come back when you are ready. That's not losing motivation. It's applying it.

Good luck and if it helps keep us posted. ;)