How do you store your bike?

RobertW71

Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

I am a final year Product Design student in a UK university. I am currently looking for information on user groups in the cycling community so if anyone could spend 2 mins to pass on some information that would be great!

I am primarily looking at storage problems in uban rented accomodation where things like space and strict restrictions from your landlords are a big problem.
So my question is what problems do you have with storing your bike and what is your current solution to these? Do you just stack them behind a sofa, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Reactions: haleylx4
It won't be of any help to you, but I have a garage, covered deck and a shed. So I have no
problems with the four bikes we have. One is going to go away soon I hope..

Also we live in an area where theft is no a major concern. The back yard is fenced and
private.

I seldom even lock the bike when I go to the store. I carry a lock in case of a break down
and I have to leave the bike out some where.

I keep mine in the basement and buy cheap blankets at Walmart to cover them with so something doesn't hit them and scratch them, and I got very young grand kids. The basement is one those dry ones so I don't worry about that, and their left unlocked down there. I built my own bike racks out of pvc pipe and made it like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-Rack/ Except I made it longer to hold more bikes instead of just a bunch of individual ones, and I use 1 inch instead of 3/4th inch like the picture so it's sturdier.

no problem with mine i keep it in the bedroom not ideal for everyone
gotta keep the bike comfortable and sweet dreams

Quote:Originally Posted by saints alive ? .no problem with mine i keep it in the bedroom not ideal for everyone

gotta keep the bike comfortable and sweet dreams

+1. Safe and easy.

I store my bikes in my garage. I am using 3 wall mounted racks that cradle the top tubes. I would love to keep them in my bedroom but I would feel awkward sleeping with my wife and mistress at the same time.

Great if you have one bike, not so great when you have more then one. Great if your single, not so great married couples who's wives don't appreciate a bicycle in their bedroom!

All of mine live in a nice dry heated basement. They seem to be happy.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Great if your single, not so great married couples who's wives don't appreciate a bicycle in their bedroom!
That's debatable... My wife doesn't mind the bike in our boudoir, and the bike doesn't get jealous when the wife and I make whoopee... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by cyberlegend1994 .

That's debatable... My wife doesn't mind the bike in our boudoir, and the bike doesn't get jealous when the wife and I make whoopee... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah well that's all find and dandy for you, but if I put my bikes in my bedroom my wife and I would have to move ourselves and the bed into the basement, then whoopee will become nopee!!

I store mine in the dining room behind the table much to the annoyance of my wife who keeps telling me I should chain it to the lampost in the yard. my Allez chained to a lampost outside? No way!

Most hang from the garage ceiling over the cars. There's usually one on the workstand.

I saw a rack in some catalog in the past that was a pole with 2 or more hangers for bikes. It was kind of like one of those old pole lamps from the 70's that wedges on the celing and the floor. Somewhat like a shower curtain rod. I think that would be a good system for an apartment. Minimal space, no dmage to the aprtment like holes to drill in the walls, and they are up off the floor. I can't remember who made it, but it might still be available somewhere.

Quote:Originally Posted by Froze . Yeah well that's all find and dandy for you, but if I put my bikes in my bedroom my wife and I would have to move ourselves and the bed into the basement, then whoopee will become nopee!!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then...
rasp.gif

Both my road and mountain bikes are stored in the closet in my daughter's room (not enough room in my closet, and my wife would not even consider letting me keep them in the bedroom).

I rent a room in a house that fortunately has a garage. I hang my bike from the back wheel on one of those large screw-in metal hooks in one of the overhead crossbeams. If there wasn't a garage though, I might consider doing the same thing in my room, as long as you could cover up the hole from the hook when you move out (if that matters).

You could always use two hooks as well and hang it from both wheels. It would save space.

We have a 4 car garage, its basically empty except for some bikes /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I want your Guerciotti.....oh wait, wrong size. Too small, never mind. Nice bike though!