How do you test ride? What should I expect from a good LBS?

CyclinYooper

Jan 9, 2011
Guys,

I bought my first, entry level road bike almost off the rack, with some quick test riding. Now that I've racked up some more serious mileage, I'm getting ready to upgrade.

I guess, I don't know what a "good" test ride should be? I have a good list of bikes I'd like to try, and I live in a city where most major brands are available. When you test ride, should the shop set the saddle for you? Should you bring your shoes and ask them to put on some pedals? What are reasonable expectations to ensure you get a realistic assessment?

How do you compare bikes across multiple shops and multiple days/weeks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Scott

If you know what it is that you want to "upgrade" then you're way ahead of the game.

Is your current frame to flexy? Maybe sluggish in tight turns? Maybe you don't like other handling characteristics? Lots of climbing and want to drop some machine weight? ...etc....

If you know what you don't like about your current bike, then you know the first things to look/demo for.

Yes, expect a basic fitting before a demo ride. Yes, bring your shoes/pedals. A good shop will allow more than just a parking lot spin. (You damage bike and you pay.) I like to try different bikes on the same exact test course to compare response. The more external variables you control, the more you are comparing just the bike, wheels, or whatever.

Great, thank you for the advice. I was hoping it was reasonable to expect some basic fitting and I'm glad you can use your shoes/pedals.

Scott