how do you thicken a smoothie?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Abbey Smart, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Abbey Smart

    Abbey Smart Guest

    I would like to make a low carb smoothie but i am not
    sure of the mechanics how how to make a good one.
    What makes a smoothie thick? A lot of recipes call
    for whey or soy protein but they never say what it
    is for. I have been trying xanthan gum, but that's
    a bit expensive. Other recipes call for flax seed,
    again without saying why.

    Tags:

  2. jaime

    jaime Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:01:45 -0800, Abbey Smart <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would like to make a low carb smoothie but i am not
    >sure of the mechanics how how to make a good one.
    >What makes a smoothie thick? A lot of recipes call
    >for whey or soy protein but they never say what it
    >is for. I have been trying xanthan gum, but that's
    >a bit expensive. Other recipes call for flax seed,
    >again without saying why.

    I put one cup of whole frozen strawberries in my morning smoothie.
    It comes out very thick and ice cold.

    2 cups water
    1 cup frozen whole strawberries (you can use *any* frozen berry btw)
    2 scoops soy protein powder (or 2 raw eggs)
    1 tablespoon honey(optional)

    Blend.

    (and before *anyone* freaks out and screams...'That is not low
    carb!!', I happen to be doing a paleo version of Body For Life which
    is working very well for me. I am close to 20 pounds down since I
    began. :p~~~ )

    You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

  3. Abbey Smart

    Abbey Smart Guest

    jaime wrote:
    > 2 cups water
    > 1 cup frozen whole strawberries (you can use *any* frozen berry btw)
    > 2 scoops soy protein powder (or 2 raw eggs)
    > 1 tablespoon honey(optional)

    What's the use of the soy protein powder?

  4. jaime

    jaime Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:27:12 -0800, Abbey Smart <[email protected]> wrote:

    >jaime wrote:
    >> 2 cups water
    >> 1 cup frozen whole strawberries (you can use *any* frozen berry btw)
    >> 2 scoops soy protein powder (or 2 raw eggs)
    >> 1 tablespoon honey(optional)

    >What's the use of the soy protein powder?

    Some people like to use that instead of using raw eggs to get thier
    protein in. I use the eggs because anything made from soy is not
    considered to be a paleo food.

    You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Abbey Smart wrote:
    :: jaime wrote:
    ::: 2 cups water
    ::: 1 cup frozen whole strawberries (you can use *any* frozen berry btw)
    ::: 2 scoops soy protein powder (or 2 raw eggs)
    ::: 1 tablespoon honey(optional)
    ::
    :: What's the use of the soy protein powder?

    To add protein....protein is important.

  6. Abbey Smart wrote:

    > I would like to make a low carb smoothie but i am not
    > sure of the mechanics how how to make a good one.
    > What makes a smoothie thick? A lot of recipes call
    > for whey or soy protein but they never say what it
    > is for. I have been trying xanthan gum, but that's
    > a bit expensive. Other recipes call for flax seed,
    > again without saying why.

    The commercial ones probably use cheap guar gum.

    gtoomey

  7. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Abbey Smart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I would like to make a low carb smoothie but i am not
    > sure of the mechanics how how to make a good one.
    > What makes a smoothie thick? A lot of recipes call
    > for whey or soy protein but they never say what it
    > is for. I have been trying xanthan gum, but that's
    > a bit expensive. Other recipes call for flax seed,
    > again without saying why.

    Do you have soluable fiber like psyllium or metamucil? Mix it up in the
    recommended dosage(or a little more). Let it sit for 5 minutes. It gets
    quite thick. It may be the consistancy you are looking for.
    Tom

  8. Abbey Smart

    Abbey Smart Guest

    Tom G wrote:
    > Do you have soluable fiber like psyllium or metamucil? Mix it up in the
    > recommended dosage(or a little more). Let it sit for 5 minutes. It gets
    > quite thick. It may be the consistancy you are looking for.
    > Tom

    Good idea. Though 5 minutes is a bit long to wait.

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Abbey Smart wrote:
    :: Tom G wrote:
    ::: Do you have soluable fiber like psyllium or metamucil? Mix it up
    ::: in the recommended dosage(or a little more). Let it sit for 5
    ::: minutes. It gets quite thick. It may be the consistancy you are
    ::: looking for. Tom
    ::
    :: Good idea. Though 5 minutes is a bit long to wait.

    If I were going to use psyllium or something, then I'd use ground flaxseed
    instead. You'll get good omega3 fats + fiber that way.

  10. Guar gum is cheaper than Xantham, and, IMO, results in a better
    consistency. Psyllium also thickens, somewhat......

  11. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    jaime wrote:

    > (and before *anyone* freaks out and screams...'That is not low
    > carb!!', I happen to be doing a paleo version of Body For Life which
    > is working very well for me.

    then why are you here?

  12. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Because she likes to annoy us?

    In news:[email protected],
    Xtile <[email protected]> stated
    | jaime wrote:
    |
    || (and before *anyone* freaks out and screams...'That is not low
    || carb!!', I happen to be doing a paleo version of Body For Life which
    || is working very well for me.
    |
    | then why are you here?

  13. jaime

    jaime Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:35:04 GMT, "FOB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Because she likes to annoy us?

    No...I am here because I *can*.

    Just like everyone else including the ones who annoy me. :)

    You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

  14. Kiwi Byrd

    Kiwi Byrd Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    I find ice always thickens a smoothie, regardless of what else is in it.
    Remember to put less water in.

    Kiwi Mel

    Abbey Smart wrote:

    > I would like to make a low carb smoothie but i am not
    > sure of the mechanics how how to make a good one.
    > What makes a smoothie thick? A lot of recipes call
    > for whey or soy protein but they never say what it
    > is for. I have been trying xanthan gum, but that's
    > a bit expensive. Other recipes call for flax seed,
    > again without saying why.

  15. Lilith79

    Lilith79 Guest

    Xtile wrote:
    > jaime wrote:
    >
    >> (and before *anyone* freaks out and screams...'That is not low
    >> carb!!', I happen to be doing a paleo version of Body For Life which
    >> is working very well for me.

    > then why are you here?

    I thought Paleo was considered a version of LC. I didn't see anything
    in the name of this NG that it is only for Atkins, CAD, South Beach, ect.

  16. jaime

    jaime Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:48:52 GMT, Lilith79 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I thought Paleo was considered a version of LC.

    It is LC if you limit your fruit and honey consumption
    as many on paleo do in order to lose the weight they wish to lose.

    > I didn't see anything
    >in the name of this NG that it is only for Atkins, CAD, South Beach, ect.

    Xtile is simply being an idiot. He/she now resides in my killfiles.

    Back to my books. I have a test on Monday.

    You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

  17. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    jaime wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:48:52 GMT, Lilith79 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I thought Paleo was considered a version of LC.

    > It is LC if you limit your fruit and honey consumption
    > as many on paleo do in order to lose the weight they wish to lose.
    >

    >> I didn't see anything
    >>in the name of this NG that it is only for Atkins, CAD, South Beach, ect.

    > Xtile is simply being an idiot. He/she now resides in my killfiles.
    >
    > Back to my books. I have a test on Monday.

    > You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

    How may carbs do you eat a day Jaime?

  18. "Xtile" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jaime wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:48:52 GMT, Lilith79 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I thought Paleo was considered a version of LC.

    >> It is LC if you limit your fruit and honey consumption
    >> as many on paleo do in order to lose the weight they wish to lose.
    >>

    >>> I didn't see anything in the name of this NG that it is only for Atkins,
    >>> CAD, South Beach, ect.

    >> Xtile is simply being an idiot. He/she now resides in my killfiles.
    >>
    >> Back to my books. I have a test on Monday.

    >> You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!

    > How may carbs do you eat a day Jaime?

    She never answers the difficult questions.

  19. FOB

    FOB Guest

  20. jaime

    jaime Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:14:54 GMT, "FOB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >She can't count her carbs because she doesn't have enough fingers.

    Buh bye. *plonk*

    You, in the red uniform, go see what that noise is!