How do you transport your bicycle to other countries?

Ken Aston

Guest
Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
back.

As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
up to double than that.

How do you solve this problem? Every extra kg of luggage costs about 50
Euro. Taking just an extra 10 kg comes close to the price of the actual
ticket. Isn't there a cheaper way?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to take my
bike along on the next trip.

Regards,
Ken Aston

"Ken Aston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to take my
> bike along on the next trip.

If you are thinking of Europe, have a look here

http://www.bike-express.co.uk/index.html

Did the one down to Bordeaux (& return) soem time ago. *Perfect* way of
getting the bike transported, but I don't class coach transport as luxury,
even if the coach is described as luxury :)

> As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
> regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
> usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,

some Info on travel in planes is here:

http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/default.cfm

I travelled to mallorca recently with bmi baby and was charged a simple
15gbp each way for the bike.Long distance flights might be differently
priced.Singapore airline s acc to the above site in 2004 seem to have a
complex arrangement but basically they allow you to have 35kg of
luggage including bike for an extra fee of 6kg excess, then extra
weight per kg above 35kg. I think that's a lot to pedal up hills.

TerryJ

in message <[email protected]>, Ken
Aston ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
> other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
> economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
> back.
>
> As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
> regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
> usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
> panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
> up to double than that.

8Kg for the bike, 5Kg for the trailer[1] (surely /someone/ can make a
lighter trailer?), 80 grammes for a multi tool, 160 grammes for a pump, 80
grammes for a spare inner tube; 2.4Kg for the tent, 2Kg for a sleeping
bag, 200 grammes for a sleeping mat, 550 grammes for a stove and mess tin,
3Kg for spare clothes, 4 grammes for a credit card; 170 grammes for
combined phone, camera, GPS, web browser and email device. 1.4Kg spare for
all the souvenirs you'll want to bring back with you.

Sorted.

And that's before you start on your hand luggage.

[1] CarryFreedom city. The Weber Monoporter, which I'd prefer, is another
1.5Kg heavier.

"Ken Aston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
> other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
> economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
> back.
>
> As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
> regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
> usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
> panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
> up to double than that.
>
> How do you solve this problem? Every extra kg of luggage costs about 50
> Euro. Taking just an extra 10 kg comes close to the price of the actual
> ticket. Isn't there a cheaper way?
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to take my
> bike along on the next trip.
>
> Regards,
> Ken Aston

Different airlines have different policies
eg, KLM charged 50Euros each way - IIRC for a bike up to 26kg (!) about 2
years ago.
Qatar airlines have given me 30kg allowance for my next holiday.

I've only ever been charged excess once - (by KLM, and only one direction),
and have always been overweight by between 5 and 20 kg.

My bike usually travels 'naked' - pedals off, handlebars sideways, tyres
semi-deflated, and I've never had a problem apart from a few paint chips.

I took it once in a bike bag - bike and bag came to 20kg, with another 15kg
of checked in baggage and 10kg of hand luggage, and had no problems with
Gulf.

It's worth getting a frequent flier card - this sometimes gives you an extra
bagage allowance (and anyway, something to bargain with).

Policies seem to be getting tighted as more people travel with bikes.

I also try to check in early, smile and be polite

Peter

Peter wrote:

> It's worth getting a frequent flier card - this sometimes gives you an extra
> bagage allowance (and anyway, something to bargain with).

Having only flown twice in the last 23 years I don't think I would qualify.
:))

"Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter wrote:
>
>> It's worth getting a frequent flier card - this sometimes gives you an
>> extra bagage allowance (and anyway, something to bargain with).

> Having only flown twice in the last 23 years I don't think I would
> qualify.
> :))

Ah, but it is.
The Gulf Air frequent flier card entitles you to an extra baggage allowance
the first time you use it.
I don't know whether all such cards do this.

When four of us were returning earlier this year, with about 150kg of
luggage between us, a potentially awkward discussion about excess baggage
charges was resolved by the production of three frequent flier cards. It
was uncannily like an 'American Express, that'll do nicely' episode (except
for the naked breasts).

Peter

Ken Aston wrote:
> Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
> other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
> economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
> back.
>
> As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
> regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
> usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
> panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
> up to double than that.
>
> How do you solve this problem? Every extra kg of luggage costs about 50
> Euro. Taking just an extra 10 kg comes close to the price of the actual
> ticket. Isn't there a cheaper way?

I ride down to the ferry terminal, or if I'm feeling a bit lazy, I take
the train. Out of season, the bike often goes free.

Hi,
I'm posting from limited experience here- I've only taken my bike
to Ireland, unless you count the Scottish Islands as another country...

Ken Aston wrote:
> Recently I have been very excited about the idea of traveling around
> other countries by bicycle. What I still haven't figured out yet, is an
> economical way to transport my bicycle to the destination country and
> back.

Ferry?

> As far as I understand, in economy class airlines regard a bicycle as
> regular luggage and it thus falls into the regular weight allowance of
> usually 23 kg (on flights from Europe to Asia or Australia). Bike,
> panniers, camping equipment, tools, parts, clothing, that quickly adds
> up to double than that.

Camping equipment adds a lot of weight. Personally, I like to travel
lighter than that if I'm cycling because I enjoy it more. If you can
afford to ditch the tent, sleeping bag, mat stove and other cooking
gear you've saved yourself about 10Kg from the flight and every hill
you climb and descend on your trip..!

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to take my
> bike along on the next trip.

Where are you going? Ferries are cheap with a bike and continental
trains are very efficient,
for long haul travel you could look into shipping ahead, or even hiring
locally, if you can't find a bike-friendly airline or keep your touring
weight under the standard bar.

Cheers,
W.