How do you use aero bars?

finnrambo

Jun 6, 2010
Can someone please tell me how earo bars are used I'm a newbie but am very curious how to steer with them
Thanks, Finn

You steer with them the same way you steer with regular bars, by turning them in a direction that makes the bike go where you want it to go. Steering with aero extensions, though, is more sensitive than with regular bars.

You may need to adjust your saddle position as well. For me, it went forward a few cm's and a slight tilt down. Took a few rides to get used to riding on the bars. Lucky for me, I live 5mins away from farm area.

Do practice in non busy areas. Don't make any quick jerking movements left to right. Be extra careful when going over bumps.

Next. ..........enjoy! Try not to stare back at the kids who stare at the cool/weird position you're in!!!!

OMG just tried them it was so much fun, I know I likely looked like an R-tard, but at least they feel cool

Nice. Exactly how I felt my first time using them too! There are a lot of websites that can help you dial in a decent position. You don't want to be too stretched out. And not cramped either.

Did you feel like you were able to push at least 1 bigger gear? Less hamstring useage?

Enjoy your new toy. I love using mine.

Oh......did you find that people stared at you???

I always ride on the biggest gear possible, but it did make quite a difference, yes people did stare at me but I'm used to it by now as I started wearing spandex a month ago

Biggest gear possible? Like a 53 x12??? At what speeds and rpm? Do you prefer lower rpm's for some reason? Have you tried spinning a higher cadence ? Upwards of 80rpm or so? In a smaller gear? You might find it to be more efficient. Maybe a 39 or 42x 13-15? Just a suggestion.

sorry man but I'm just a newbie so I don't know what 53x12 means, anyway I think I'll try pedalling on a higher cadence from now on

You mentioned that you push the biggest or hardest gear. That would mean the biggest ring in the front (50 to 53 tooth) and then the smallest cog in the rear (maybe a 12 to 13 tooth?). If you roll around in that gear.....damn. Do you have tree trunk thighs? Hahha. Fool around with your gears until you feel comfortable with a specific gear that enables you to spin higher rpm's. For better efficiency. I'm sure you'll get used to it very quickly.