Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Other (please reply with details)

Votes: 98 43.4%
  • None

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters

VipFREAK

Jul 13, 2003
Hey all, I was just wondering how do you wash your mountain bike after a ride?

Nick

Originally posted by VipFREAK

Nick

I avoid mud but in general I clean with a damp rag on the frame and fork. I let the dirt/mud dry on the tires then deflate and the dirt falls off. I use synthetic wool and lightly clean the rims on my vbrake bike other wise for discs follow your instruction manual-as it varies. Stay away from DWD40 there is no use for DWD40 for your bike other than to get gummy residue from the peeled off sticker off the swanky new (insert desired bike part) you bought. Wipe chain with rag, apply Oil to chain night before, wipe off excess in am. More is not better. Clean spds with tooth brush. Clean cassette with brass brush if stuff is really caked on, otherwise a toothbrush and rag. Wipe rings with rag or scrub with brush. NEVER power hose your bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER aim at components with bearings.

Ive just purchased a Mt Bike and after afew offroad sessions the components were covered in mud and dirt.When i got home i hosed it off with the hose turned on full (after reading Ginzus post i wont do this again) i let it dry for awhile then spray all the components with TF2 lubricant spray and the chain with Finish Line's Teflon Plus (or White Lightning).
I also wipe over the frame with a cloth to remove any wetness.

If it's dry and dusty I let it stay on or if its a little mud splatter, no problem. But after 2/3 rides like this I clean and lube chain and clean forks. If the bike's really muddy I hose down with tap pressure, avoiding bearings and discs, until mud is off then wipe dry with a rag. Lube chain and most importantly, de-water any nooks such as bottom of steerer tube, cable ends and brake lever pivots. De-water with "Rocket" or WD40 (I know someone said not to use it but it's a de-watering fluid!) Dry the brake discs out to prevent any corrosion by riding or wheeling round the yard with the brakes on, then go have a shower, still wearing shorts and top. Gets a little tedious every other day mind!!!

Nick

Yes WD40 is a water dispersent but unless you know what you are donig do not use it. It breaks down grease as well. I was a mechanic and most people doi not know how to use it appropriately. I don't know what tf2 is, but stick to the appropriate greases and lubricants. To be safe get them from your local bike shop and talk to a mechanic. Do not spray anything near the fork or rear shock. Use a dry rag to wipe around seals, use a grease gun with appropriate grease see manufacturer details yes it does matter-escpecially the oil. The only thing that should be lubed with any oil is chain, and springs, and if you lube the ends of your cable housing they will not corrode as quickly. Again anyone reading this stay away from WD40 unless you know what you are doing call a bike shop if you want. BTW WD40 is a pretty common cause for bike problems at least what I've seen, anecdotally speaking.

Ginzu and everyone,

I've been using Simple green because it is a quick way to get your bike clean with out a lot of work or touching the bike. What do you think about using it? Also, I've been using Triflow for the bearings on the suspension part. On the suspension (front and rear) I haven't really been puting any lub on them because it doesn't say to in my manual. Are these good things to be doing?

Thanks for your help

Nick

I generally like to just chuck my bike in the ocean for a few hours to deal with any filth.

I find it extermely hard to "hose" down my bike even with just low pressure cleaning. My bike shop mechanic put a tag on my last service as "DO NOT HOSE". Ever since then, I just let it dry, bounce my bike a few times to get the big pieces off, and then just wipe down the rest. Yah, it's not good to hose down stuff, you'll still hit the bearings and bushings

BTW, multiple LBSes best reccomendations for me were simple green and a lubricant like triflow

FYI:

Years ago I read an article on WD40 and the company that developed it. WD means either water dispersant or water drying formula number 40, used, I believe, to keep O-rings dry on rockets and missiles.

And I myself use the garden hose with light pressure to clean off my mtb.

kokopuffs

Yup thats WD40- its like a treatment to water so it water wont become a conductor.
Ive done this when my car was running 100kmh and hit a paddle of water and hi tension wires got wet and the car wont start, just spray it with WD-40 and voila!

But I dunno if WD-40 really lubricates and prevents friction

WD40 is a water dispersent in a 40 weight oil. However it is not a lubricant. It really has no business being used on one's bicycle unless you understand what it is (hint: You would not use it to lubricate or allow it to come in contact with any grease or lubricant-it will break the grease or oil down)

i'm a bike commuter come rain or shine. on wet days, i use wd40 on the derailleurs as a sort of a water shield... but the stuff does have a tendency to attract gunk, so a layer or 2 of saran wrap around the mechanisms minimizes the build up. nothing beats bike specific lubricants on the chains and cogs. when cleaning down the bike, i use a trigger spritzer bottle for selective and controlled wetting- the kind where you can adjust the spray from fine mist to splash. spray on, wipe off... no worry about seepage into sealed parts and hard to dry areas.

It depends on what's on your bike.....

THICK MUD
Ok, I admit it...I will sometimes hit it with a high-pressure washer but avoiding hubs and bb. A pressure washer does a great job at getting the **** out of the smallest areas and the kind at coin-op car washes have soap and degreaser built in! Just plan on re-lubing every part afterwards and don't do this frequently...only every few months.

SOME MUD
Let mud dry overnight, then use a "dish brush" to rub the dry dirt off. If mud is in hard-to-reach spots, then a little water is fine with a toothbrush. Once you get all the mud off, spray bike with Simple Green, let sit for 5 minutes then rinse with a light water sprayer and a rag. Use a chain cleaning machine. Re lube chain and all other points.

DUSTY DIRT
Wipe off bike with a clean rag. Clean rims with paper towels

OR
Don't clean it at all! Just cleanand relube the chain. Chain cleaning machines work very well.

Pretty much the same as everyone else here, I use Muc-Off, I think this is the UK equivalent of simple green. Then re-lube all moving parts with Manitou Prep M grease, X-Lite Bike Spray and Finsh Line XC/Dry wax lube.

WD40 I use occasionally to clean out the bits on front and rear mech, avoiding all bearing points. If you spray a bit on a rag and use that to wipe down the frame, it gives a lovely shiny finish!

And yes, I'm a bike ****!

No one mentioned here that the best way to clean your rims is to use alchohol on a rag. I have a titanium frame, so I let the dirt dry on the bike and then use various brushes to clean it off. Also, one of those chain cleaners and some soapy water goes a long way. Oh, and if you want some superior stopping power, and you don't have ceramic rims, you can sand down the rims a bit (evenly) to really eliminate the grime. Also, dont forget to file down your brake pads, and take all your parts off the bike once in a while and lube all the pins and stuff with light grease.

-percious

Nick

Well I generally clean it off with a wet rag but when the drivetrain is extra mucky after a few rides and I've already cleaned it up by hand to no avail, I use an air compressor to blow dirt out of knicks and crannies and then spray some orange cleaner on, let it soak in then use low pressure garden hose and spray bearings very well as to get any leaked water out. Relube everything and put some parrafin wax on the chain.

good to go.

A good idea for your frame is to hit it with some car wax once in a while (after it has been cleaned of course - hosed off, or wiped with a wet rag). I did this to my frame when I first got it, and once every 3-6 months or something since then, and the paintwork on the frame still looks like new (except the chips, dents etc of course)

This is a good idea for those bike nuts or clean freaks out there. Will keep your colours looking fresher for longer. To prevent fading, its also a good idea to keep it out of the sun when possible (when stored etc)

how I clean? I just let it be most of the time, since I don't ride anywhere with mud. Once every few months, I might hose it off using some car wash'n'wax, with wheels removed and avoiding other bearings and joints - but not too often.

Seems a bit pointless cleaning rims/tyres/spokes till they squeak considering they are just going to get dirty again. As long as the tread and sidewalls are decently clean, im good to go.