How do you weigh a bike?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by robert bartsch, Dec 12, 2020.

1. robert bartsch

robert bartsch New Member

...fish weigh scale?

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

All I do is use the bathroom scale, I have a really good one and have checked the weight it shows against known weights that I have and it's been accurate. So I do it two ways, I first stand the bike up on its rear wheel and weigh it directly on the scale, which is a bit tricky because you have to hold the bike without lifting up or pressing down to hold it, then I weigh myself alone then with me holding the bike, subtract the difference and I have the bike weight. I found on my scale both methods yield the same result.

But in order for this work you have to find out if your scale is accurate, and a lot of home scales are not accurate. How you check is to get a 20 pound barbell, weigh it by itself and see if it reads 20 pounds, if not adjust the scale to make it read 20 pounds, for weighing a bike that is really all you need to do to calibrate the scale; for checking to see if the scale is accurate on the higher end first weigh yourself without the barbell then weigh yourself with the barbell and subtract the weight and the difference should be 20 pounds, if not you have to recalibrate the scale to make it accurate for the higher end weight. So in order to weigh your bike, you may have to calibrate it for reading a 20-pound weight, then to return the scale to read bodyweight you'll have to recalibrate as I explained above. My scale calibrates itself every time it gets used and it's been dead on from what my tests have shown. Most bathroom scales use a spring, and as the temperature and humidity changes, or as the spring ages, or if the scale is moved and or put on a different surface the accuracy changes, so they ideally should be tested before every use, but that's impractical for anyone to do regularly.

3. rogerbruno

rogerbruno New Member

Remain on the scales holding your bicycle. Remain on the scales not holding your bicycle. the thing that matters is the heaviness of the bicycle.

4. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Duh, really?

5. rogerbruno

rogerbruno New Member

Yeah! Man. Also, you can check for other alternatives.

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Like spacial anomalies or gravitational flux or magnetic interference?