How does ChampionChip work?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Harold Buck, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    I just did my first chip-timed race (the Wisconsin Dells Tin Man), and I was really impressed with
    the system, but I can't figure out how it works. It's too small to be doing any radio
    transmitting--I think--so how do the timing mats know who's who?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just did my first chip-timed race (the Wisconsin Dells Tin Man), and I was really impressed with
    > the system, but I can't figure out how it works. It's too small to be doing any radio
    > transmitting--I think--so how do the timing mats know who's who?

    The Champion Chip uses RFID (radio frequency identification). RFID transponders can be quite small.
    In fact the only reason the chips are as bulky as they are is probably simply for an ease of use
    standpoint.

    Checkout http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/rfid/what_is_rfid.htm for info on RFID. And
    checkout http://www.championchip.com/home/index.php#how_work for info on specifically how a
    champion chip works.