How does it make you feel when people say negative things about cyclists?

Veater

May 28, 2016
I must hear someone say something about cyclists at least once a week, even people who know I like to ride. An example would be when I was sitting on a bus last week and a cyclist passed by, and a man on the bus loudly commented "bloody cyclists". Taxi drivers also very often say things about them.

I know it adds a bit of extra stress to the driver when a cyclist is on the road with them, but it seems perfectly normal for drivers to shout about cyclists, even opening the window to shout at them. My facebook feed regularly has one specific guy ranting about cyclists (he's a bit of an idiot anyway, always complaining about "women drivers" as well).

Usually I try not to be offended, but I can't help it sometimes and find my blood boiling. I was wondering how other people feel about the constant negativity directed at cyclists on the roads, even when the criticism isn't aimed directly at them?

I'm not sure if it's just me but it just flies past me. Most of the people who offend cyclist don't know much about the sport anyway so they just spew random ****. The funny thing is, as long as you're not breaking any rules, they can't get rid of you, so live it up and keep annoying them.

Yeah. When it's family and friends who know that I cycle on the roads though, it's hard not to feel offended that they are so happy to say rude things about a group of people which includes me, if you see what I mean.

People in the general world I don't care about so much, but it still offends me a little and I always have to talk myself down from feeling grumpy about it.

I try not to pay attention to it. Most of the people who make those comments don't ride, so why get in a bother about it....

I really don't let it get to me. There will always be hatters and negative people, it's just the way things are. Just as long as I enjoy myself and I don't do anyone else any harm I could care less if they rant or not.

People say negative things about everyone. There are a lot of very critical people out there and if they didn't say negative things about you for one reason they would find another. I just try to stay glad that I am not one of those negative people!

Ignore them, perhaps? I rarely hear negative things about cyclists, maybe that would possibly come from a selfish car driver jaded of people getting in his way. Some people don't know what "coexistence" means.

I understand your problem perfectly. I get bothered by comments as well, and the stares get to me too. I've had people stop in their tracks to watch me ride by and I never know for sure what they might be thinking. Do they like my bike? Do they hate it? Do they think I look stupid riding? I always think the worst, which is dumb since I really don't know what is on that person's mind. But staring does bother me a lot. People act like a cyclist is a three-headed, green and purple alien who happens to have wheels instead of feet. I don't feel the need to stare at a cyclist so I don't get why others would do it to me.

I am a rider and a car driver too and sometimes also a passenger of public utility. But I have never heard words against cyclists except when there are near mishaps on the road. But when everything is normal, even when there is a big group of cyclists on the road, I haven't heard a comment from the public. Maybe the people here are most concerned with the traffic caused by big trucks and big buses that's why they just ignore the cyclists. What gets their ire sometimes are the motorcycle riders who are reckless.

I understand your problem perfectly. I get bothered by comments as well, and the stares get to me too. I've had people stop in their tracks to watch me ride by and I never know for sure what they might be thinking. Do they like my bike? Do they hate it? Do they think I look stupid riding? I always think the worst, which is dumb since I really don't know what is on that person's mind. But staring does bother me a lot. People act like a cyclist is a three-headed, green and purple alien who happens to have wheels instead of feet. I don't feel the need to stare at a cyclist so I don't get why others would do it to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I wrote this I assumed most people would agree and said they hear comments all the time, but I guess it's not a massively widespread problem (or we just happen to overhear more). I'm guessing most people who stop to watch when you ride by aren't thinking the worst, and fortunately even if they are, they probably won't have time to tell you as much! Thank you for making me feel a bit more normal :)

Reactions: Novelangel
I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I wrote this I assumed most people would agree and said they hear comments all the time, but I guess it's not a massively widespread problem (or we just happen to overhear more). I'm guessing most people who stop to watch when you ride by aren't thinking the worst, and fortunately even if they are, they probably won't have time to tell you as much! Thank you for making me feel a bit more normal :)
You're welcome. :D The fact is, some of us might just be more sensitive than others. We see more, hear more, feel more and tend to twirl it around to mean something it probably doesn't. Maybe all cyclists get stared at, or commented about, but they don't let it faze them like some of us do, I don't know. At any rate, I guess it all depends on whether we let it bother us or not. Some people may be going for that all along... trying to see how we react to their disdain. Perhaps if we act like we can't hear or see anything negative, they will get bored with the game and stop. Or perhaps that only happens in an ideal world. :rolleyes:

Everybody has an opinion though, and you can't really change their mind or force them on your opinion. I just nod, not disagreeing or agreeing, and leave. It's not my concern to be honest, and that's what I have always done in my life when it comes to arguments. You wouldn't be able to earn anything by arguing your point, especially to people who have already made up their minds about certain issues. So why bother? Just let them be, and move on with your life. It's not that difficult to do, and you'll have less stress in your day that way.

Everybody has an opinion though, and you can't really change their mind or force them on your opinion. I just nod, not disagreeing or agreeing, and leave. It's not my concern to be honest, and that's what I have always done in my life when it comes to arguments. You wouldn't be able to earn anything by arguing your point, especially to people who have already made up their minds about certain issues. So why bother? Just let them be, and move on with your life. It's not that difficult to do, and you'll have less stress in your day that way.
I completely agree with this attitude! There're a lot of stupid people or just those who don't share your ideas, so no need to bother and get involved! But to be honest I rarely see the negativity towards cyclists even though there're pretty many of them on the roads. But at the same time I live in a town with not so busy traffic, so I guess everyone just coexists in peace which is good.

I try not to pay attention to it. Most of the people who make those comments don't ride, so why get in a bother about it....
Yes, that's the best thing you can do. The people who say negative things about cyclist actually don't understand the passion and value of the cyclists. I also don't pay attention to the words they say.

I really don't let it get to me. There will always be hatters and negative people, it's just the way things are. Just as long as I enjoy myself and I don't do anyone else any harm I could care less if they rant or not.
They can say whatever they want but we should not focus on them. WE should always focus on our performance.

They can say whatever they want but we should not focus on them. WE should always focus on our performance.
Exactly I think it has to do with the half full, half empty way of thinking. People that are pessimistic by nature will be the ones that will be ranting.

Those comments come from people who are sworn car lovers or even motorbike lovers. I really do not react on these because to be honest I cannot participate in a quarrel with a person who prefer to pace his life by sitting in a car that is destroying our planet. Our two minds are on the apposite places of the system of values. Some people tell me I am not acting as a grown up if I do not drive a car. It is not like I have no money. I really choose not to and I do not care what they say.

Those comments come from people who are sworn car lovers or even motorbike lovers. I really do not react on these because to be honest I cannot participate in a quarrel with a person who prefer to pace his life by sitting in a car that is destroying our planet. Our two minds are on the apposite places of the system of values. Some people tell me I am not acting as a grown up if I do not drive a car. It is not like I have no money. I really choose not to and I do not care what they say.
Unfortunately that is the idea that is drummed into us since we are kids, there are a lot of people that would probably get to work faster and hassle free if they used a bike instead of a car.