How does Veloce compare to Ultegra/105?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Smith, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Sorry if this has been asked before.

    I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at
    a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra
    group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate climbing.

    Thanks very much.

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I'm a Campy fan but not impressed by the stamped rings on Veloce. If you move up to Centaur, you'll
    get highest quality rings.

    Ultegra rings have been fine in my usages and I know little about the new 105 rings.

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:36:36 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry if this has been asked before.
    >
    >I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at
    >a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
    >Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
    >climbing.
    >
    >Thanks very much.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry if this has been asked before.
    >
    > I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking
    > at a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
    > Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
    > climbing.

    Durability/service expense is more favorable in Veloce. But many riders don't put enough miles on a
    bike for that to matter. And it isn't an exciting factor when buying a new bike.

    A rider with small hands will notice the friendlier Ergo levers on the test ride and that may be
    enough to make her decision right there.

    If she does go Veloce, add plenty of gease to the front hub ( the rear is a cartridge bearing
    model) and adjust to a slight preload when the skewer is closed. It's the one weak point of the
    Veloce series.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:36:36 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking
    > >at a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
    > >Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
    > >climbing.

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a Campy fan but not impressed by the stamped rings on Veloce. If you move up to Centaur,
    > you'll get highest quality rings.
    >
    > Ultegra rings have been fine in my usages and I know little about the new 105 rings.

    The 105 rings are quite similar in thickness and appearance to the Veloce. I agree the Centaurs look
    nicer but neither ring has been a problem .

  5. sallydog-<< I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at a couple of bikes with
    the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra group, or is it
    closer to 105?

    In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.
    Centaur is comparible to ultegra but still, I think the designs, hubs, ERGO, are superior.

    Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Durability/service expense is more favorable in Veloce.
    But many riders
    > don't put enough miles on a bike for that to matter. And
    it isn't an
    > exciting factor when buying a new bike.

    After years of pissing away money on expensive, disposable, often unavailable parts, service
    cost/durability excites the hell out of me.

    Matt O.

  7. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<20030423091354.18947.00000[email protected]>...
    > sallydog-<< I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at a couple of bikes with
    > the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra group, or is it
    > closer to 105?
    >
    > In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.
    > Centaur is comparible to ultegra but still, I think the designs, hubs, ERGO, are superior.
    >
    > Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.

    Can someone point out which racing team(s) (sponsored or not) ride Centaur or Veloce kits? I know
    there are many that use Ultegra (and wins). How about cross?

    Helpful hint, if you use ERGO for front shifting, especially a triple, install a chain catcher
    (name?). Drop chains occur more often than you think.

  8. > Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.

    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

    Ergo Triples are great if you want something other 52/42/30 up front, You can use the excellent
    DuraAce Triple front for 53/39/30, or the XT-M751 for 48/36/24, helps make up for the lack of wide
    range cassettes. Ergo front shifting not being cursed by indexing allows for all sorts of options.
    Rear indexing, good. Front indexing, annoying.

    Mutt Groups are fun, and you get gearing that fits you, not Lance Armstrong.

    Scott Goldsmith If Fausto used a 50/14, why do I need a 53/11 ?

  9. Vega

    Vega Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.

    well, here (italy) centaur is cheaper than 105... anyway, many people prefer to buy the 105 (i'm not
    among them), and you can still find lbs telling you shimano is anyway better! imho, however, this
    situation is slowly changing...