How does Veloce compare to Ultegra/105?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Smith

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at
a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra
group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate climbing.

Thanks very much.

I'm a Campy fan but not impressed by the stamped rings on Veloce. If you move up to Centaur, you'll
get highest quality rings.

Ultegra rings have been fine in my usages and I know little about the new 105 rings.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:36:36 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
>I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at
>a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
>Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
>climbing.
>
>Thanks very much.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking
> at a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
> Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
> climbing.

Durability/service expense is more favorable in Veloce. But many riders don't put enough miles on a
bike for that to matter. And it isn't an exciting factor when buying a new bike.

A rider with small hands will notice the friendlier Ergo levers on the test ride and that may be
enough to make her decision right there.

If she does go Veloce, add plenty of gease to the front hub ( the rear is a cartridge bearing
model) and adjust to a slight preload when the skewer is closed. It's the one weak point of the
Veloce series.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:36:36 -0700, Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I'm looking for a new bike for my wife. I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking
> >at a couple of bikes with the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the
> >Ultegra group, or is it closer to 105? She's a sport rider, 50 miles/day max with moderate
> >climbing.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a Campy fan but not impressed by the stamped rings on Veloce. If you move up to Centaur,
> you'll get highest quality rings.
>
> Ultegra rings have been fine in my usages and I know little about the new 105 rings.

The 105 rings are quite similar in thickness and appearance to the Veloce. I agree the Centaurs look
nicer but neither ring has been a problem .

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

sallydog-<< I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at a couple of bikes with
the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra group, or is it
closer to 105?

In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.
Centaur is comparible to ultegra but still, I think the designs, hubs, ERGO, are superior.

Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Durability/service expense is more favorable in Veloce.
But many riders
> don't put enough miles on a bike for that to matter. And
it isn't an
> exciting factor when buying a new bike.

After years of pissing away money on expensive, disposable, often unavailable parts, service
cost/durability excites the hell out of me.

Matt O.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> sallydog-<< I'm only familiar with the Shimano groups. We're looking at a couple of bikes with
> the Veloce triple group and I wonder how that group compares with the Ultegra group, or is it
> closer to 105?
>
> In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.
> Centaur is comparible to ultegra but still, I think the designs, hubs, ERGO, are superior.
>
> Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.

Can someone point out which racing team(s) (sponsored or not) ride Centaur or Veloce kits? I know
there are many that use Ultegra (and wins). How about cross?

Helpful hint, if you use ERGO for front shifting, especially a triple, install a chain catcher
(name?). Drop chains occur more often than you think.

> Veloce triple groups are very user friendly, very repairable, maintainable, durable...good choice.
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

Ergo Triples are great if you want something other 52/42/30 up front, You can use the excellent
DuraAce Triple front for 53/39/30, or the XT-M751 for 48/36/24, helps make up for the lack of wide
range cassettes. Ergo front shifting not being cursed by indexing allows for all sorts of options.
Rear indexing, good. Front indexing, annoying.

Mutt Groups are fun, and you get gearing that fits you, not Lance Armstrong.

Scott Goldsmith If Fausto used a 50/14, why do I need a 53/11 ?

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> In price Veloce compares to 105 but I think the design and function superior to 105 and ultegra.

well, here (italy) centaur is cheaper than 105... anyway, many people prefer to buy the 105 (i'm not
among them), and you can still find lbs telling you shimano is anyway better! imho, however, this
situation is slowly changing...

Status
Not open for further replies.