General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How does walking benefit OA knees?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 316 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 January 2006
Last activity
26 January 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
316
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know knee pain has been done to death here, but does anyone have any
    evidence that walking can improve Osteo Arthritis in the knees?
    (Patellar or Femoral) The advice used to be that cartilage didn't
    recover and so perhaps rest was the best approach.

    Is there any research evidence that cartilage regenerates with exercise
    please?

    Thanks, limpingly

    Peter

  2. Quoted message said:

    I know knee pain has been done to death here, but does anyone have any
    evidence that walking can improve Osteo Arthritis in the knees?
    (Patellar or Femoral) The advice used to be that cartilage didn't
    recover and so perhaps rest was the best approach.

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any research evidence that cartilage regenerates with exercise
    please?

    There is some disputed evidence that exercise plus appropriate diet
    plus patience and determination may regenerate cartilage where the
    problem is not inflammatory. Taking glucosamine may help too.

    Speculating in general terms I'd say the problem is being miscast when
    it is seen as a problem of wearing down which requires regeneration to
    repair, even though that is how many doctors talk. Like all bodily
    tissues, including bone, cartilage is constantly being destroyed and
    constantly being renewed. What appears to be a static quantity is the
    equilibrium state between degeneration and regeneration. When it
    shrinks the problem is that degeneration has started to outpace
    regeneration. So the solution is either to slow down degeneration or
    accelerate regeneration.

    I've heard of enough obsessive athletic types who ended up with bad
    joint pains, were told by all the specialists they could find that
    they'd worn out the joint and that it was permanently totally
    knackered, and then went on equally obsessive and determined recovery
    programmes which took a few to several years, but which worked, to
    suggest to me that doctors tend to make predictions based on what
    would happen to the average couch potato, and can often be surprised
    by what intelligent and determined and probably lucky people can
    achieve.

    I have mild arthtitic degeneration in my left hip, which I'm told is
    normal wear and tear for my age and the only thing to do is to wait
    until it gets bad enough to require replacement. It hurts after
    walking a few miles. But I've noticed that the more I walk a few
    miles, the further I can walk before it starts hurting. Taking
    glucosamine and fish oil both independently reduce the pain, and
    together reduce it more.

    I've read that a build up of lactic acid in the blood stimulates
    cartilage regeneration in general. If so, the trick would seem to be
    to take lots of exhausting exercise which involves the affected joint
    as little as possible.

    A common caveat is that if inflammation is involved, then it must be
    rested until the inflammation subsides, else exercise is damaging. In
    the case of cartilage and tendons the rest required to calm
    inflammation can be several months. How do you know how long to wait?
    If it hurts when you use it you haven't waited long enough :-) I find
    that viewpoint plausible, since it matches experiences I've had with a
    damaged back and a damaged thumb.

    In sum I would say I think it's possible, but difficult, and may
    require good luck as well as everything else you can bring to bear.

    Just speculating :-)

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.