How dumb is the Australian Road Championship?

Treadly

Jan 11, 2006
What sort of a race is it where the first person across the line isn't the winner? The people that make the rules are making themselves look pretty foolish over this. :confused:

Treadly said:
What sort of a race is it where the first person across the line isn't the winner? The people that make the rules are making themselves look pretty foolish over this. :confused:
He was the winner and he got the medal, he just couldnt wear the jersey as national Champ...I know sounds weird, but read on...

On the surface sounds like a proper statement...but think about it, the organisers ( for whatever reason) insisted CA run both races ( U23 and Open Mens) at the same time...ok everyone new what category they were entered in and therefore if they didn't discuss tactics about racing amongst the U23s or the Open mens, and who to watch and who to ignore they ( the riders ) had no one else to blame if they got caught out by Will Walker's attack.... I dont see the problem for any rider in the field if they had their wits about them and understood the rules and the fact that two events were being run at once...obviously the same as any national event if won by a foreigner, he wins the race but not the title, the title goes to the first citizen to cross the line...no different here...

The riders maybe needed a different race jersey colour perhaps, havnt been able to check if they had different number sequences for U23 and Open...that would have helped an exhausted rider discern who was around him when it mattered....

Seems a stuff up, but dont be too keen to condemn, just the fact that a younger rider got up over the oldies highlights the issue and makes it more obvious...But what I can see Will still got a gold medal for being the winner of the Open Race, but not the jersey as national Open champ, becaue that's what he WASNT.

Originally Posted by Treadly

INSERT BY ROOMAN :eek: : I am not Treadly- some contributors to this forum may know of that coined persona as me in email guise...but it aint me in this post...whoever Treadly is ..or aiming to be, its not me, 'k! ...so Treadly fess up, this is your first post!...

rooman said:
He was the winner and he got the medal, he just couldnt wear the jersey as national Champ...I know sounds weird, but read on...

On the surface sounds like a proper statement...but think about it, the organisers ( for whatever reason) insisted CA run both races ( U23 and Open Mens) at the same time...ok everyone new what category they were entered in and therefore if they didn't discuss tactics about racing amongst the U23s or the Open mens, and who to watch and who to ignore they ( the riders ) had no one else to blame if they got caught out by Will Walker's attack.... I dont see the problem for any rider in the field if they had their wits about them and understood the rules and the fact that two events were being run at once...obviously the same as any national event if won by a foreigner, he wins the race but not the title, the title goes to the first citizen to cross the line...no different here...

The riders maybe needed a different race jersey colour perhaps, havnt been able to check if they had different number sequences for U23 and Open...that would have helped an exhausted rider discern who was around him when it mattered....

Seems a stuff up, but dont be too keen to condemn, just the fact that a younger rider got up over the oldies highlights the issue and makes it more obvious...But what I can see Will still got a gold medal for being the winner of the Open Race, but not the jersey as national Open champ, becaue that's what he WASNT.

Yeah I sorta know what you mean but it still seems wierd. It's just as well they don't run the open mens with the open women.

rooman said:
Originally Posted by Treadly

INSERT BY ROOMAN :eek: : I am not Treadly- some contributors to this forum may know of that coined persona as me in email guise...but it aint me in this post...whoever Treadly is ..or aiming to be, its not me, 'k! ...so Treadly fess up, this is your first post!...
Well you shouldn't do that, you should pick one name or the other. Are you insisting I should find a new nickname?:(

Treadly said:
Well you shouldn't do that, you should pick one name or the other. Are you insisting I should find a new nickname?:(
not at all, I dont post here under the guise "Treadly", and am merely clarifying that fact to those on this forum and upstairs at aus.bic.

Just so you know that they know you are not me !

This wouldnt be an issue, but this is your first post and first posts often raise eyebrows when forum regulars see something they recognise about the post or the "poster" that's all...sure you understand that.

welcome to the fray....enjoy the forum and many happy return posts for the future...

We ride, we drink MountainGoat and we laugh about ourselves and the world whenever we get the chance so have a ball and keep tickling the keyboard.

cheers Roo

rooman said:
not at all, I dont post here under the guise "Treadly", and am merely clarifying that fact to those on this forum and upstairs at aus.bic.

Just so you know that they know you are not me !

This wouldnt be an issue, but this is your first post and first posts often raise eyebrows when forum regulars see something they recognise about the post or the "poster" that's all...sure you understand that.

welcome to the fray....enjoy the forum and many happy return posts for the future...

We ride, we drink MountainGoat and we laugh about ourselves and the world whenever we get the chance so have a ball and keep tickling the keyboard.

cheers Roo
Cool. If you don't mind I'll keep the nick. Thanks.

It's supposed to be the Australian 'open' championship. If that's the case then Walker should get the title. They can't suddenly decide after the race that it's two separate races, an under 23 event and an elite event. If that's the case they should be run separately. They should have known that Walker was a big chance and that this situation might arise.

rooman said:
Sure he was. The fact that he didn't get the jersey was complete ********. They rode a single race, in a single peleton (until it split). The riders, the comentators and the officials didn't seem to know anything about 2 seperate races. In fact the commisaire for the race was quoted in todays papers as saying they had to refer to the rule books during the race when it appeared the outcome might be an U23 crossing the line first.

Just another case of a sport administered by fat old men without a collective clue amongst the lot of them.

--brett

I don't know the full story here, but my question would be whether he (the winner of the race, the first one to cross the line), who I am led to believe is Will Walker, got presented a Jersey for winning the U23 category (if such a jersey exists).

If so, then that is fair enough that he didn't receive the 'open' Australian Jersey as would have been entered in the U23 category.

It is the same with mountainbiking. Both the Elite and U23 riders compete in the same race. This is also the case for the 'series' points.

AzzaC said:
If so, then that is fair enough that he didn't receive the 'open' Australian Jersey as would have been entered in the U23 category.

It is fair enough if everyone sat on the start line knowing what the situation was. Clearly the riders didn't, the commentators didn't as Phil Liggitt made numerous comments about it during the race and the people officiating the race didn't as they were later quoted as having to refer to the 'rules' during the race to figure out what the outcome would be if an U23 won the race.

Clearly the solution to this is to run the events on separate days (it's not rocket science). Or if they insist on running a single race then having a clear message to competitors who enter in the U23 division that they are not eligible for the Austrailan Open Road Jersey. I would think that if that had been clear people like Walker would have probably raced the elite event and not the U23 given his current form (ie performance in the Bay Series and a silver medal in the world U23 road event).

Given this information wasn't out there it would seem he got well and truly bent over and shafted.

--brett