how d'ya wake up a Flight Deck?

Nate Nagel

Guest
Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain in a can of carb
dip, cleaned off the sprockets with some Brakleen, shop rags, and
Q-tips, examined old chain, looked at horrible patch job PO had done
with two completely different brands of chain, which was hidden by
layers of black grease, went to LBS, bought a shiny new SRAM chain...
sigh... pretty soon I'm going to stop spending money and simply ride...
at least according to my tape measure it wasn't stretched enough to
notice, and it was working perfectly well, just greasy and nasty) anyway
everything seems to be completely copacetic other than I have not yet
lubed the shifter cables and the shifting is still slightly weird, but
I'm hoping that a little tweaking will get it right. One issue - I
installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons,
eventually after punching one of the buttons on the back of the FD it
woke up and worked normally for another short ride. I thought it was
supposed to wake up automatically when you started to ride? I've got
the magnet set about 2mm away from the sensor... or is there an
undocumented procedure for waking it up? Simply hitting either button
on the brifters didn't do anything, not sure why hitting the one on the
unit did the trick.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel <[email protected]> writes:

> I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try
> a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and
> the FD never woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started
> playing with the buttons, eventually after punching one of the
> buttons on the back of the FD it woke up and worked normally
> for another short ride. I thought it was supposed to wake up
> automatically when you started to ride?

No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one of
the buttons on the unit itself.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try
>>a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and
>>the FD never woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started
>>playing with the buttons, eventually after punching one of the
>>buttons on the back of the FD it woke up and worked normally
>>for another short ride. I thought it was supposed to wake up
>>automatically when you started to ride?

> No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one of
> the buttons on the unit itself.

Well, that'd explain it, then! I guess I better download the manual and
see if there's anything else I missed. (the seller was kind enough to
include the manual that came with it, but apparently Shimano included
the manual for the earlier version not the current one, and it implies
that it wakes up automatically or by "pressing one of the buttons" and
didn't specify on the unit. It was close enough to get it set up for my
bike though.)

nate

--

On Apr 23, 5:58 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
> also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain...

> ... One issue - I
> installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
> until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
> woke up...

(Huh? [Subject line begins to dawn on me... ])

> ... I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons...

Okay, I get it. You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
electronic odometer thingie, right?)

(I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur". FWIW.)

Dan O wrote:

> Okay, I get it. You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
> electronic odometer thingie, right?)
>
> (I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur". FWIW.)

I was going to suggest "drop a bomb on it." That usually wakes 'em up in
a hurry.

On Apr 23, 11:19 pm, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 5:58 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
> > also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain...
> > ...  One issue - I
> > installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
> > until this evening.  I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
> > woke up...

> (Huh?  [Subject line begins to dawn on me... ])
>
> > ...  I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons...

> Okay, I get it.  You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
> electronic odometer thingie, right?)
>
> (I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur".  FWIW.)

Nope, sorry 'bout that. All the mechanical stuff is actually working
fairly well. Didn't mean to confuse anyone, was just in a hurry with
the fingers.

nate

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to
>>> try a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a
>>> mile, and the FD never woke up. I pulled into my
>>> driveway, started playing with the buttons, eventually
>>> after punching one of the buttons on the back of the FD it
>>> woke up and worked normally for another short ride. I
>>> thought it was supposed to wake up automatically when you
>>> started to ride?

> No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one
> of the buttons on the unit itself.

Actually that's a bit misleading. The buttons 'on the unit
itself' are on the back and are intended to be accessed when
the unit is off the bike.

It should wake up on its own when the magnet passes the sensor,
but it doesn't start 'recording' until you press a button on the
brake hood. (The left if you have one button on each side) you
can tell it's running when the Mile/h or Km/h on the display
starts to flash.

HTH
Greg

On Apr 24, 3:29 pm, Greg Evans <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben Pfaff wrote:

> > No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one
> > of the buttons on the unit itself.

> Actually that's a bit misleading. The buttons 'on the unit
> itself' are on the back and are intended to be accessed when
> the unit is off the bike.
>
> It should wake up on its own when the magnet passes the sensor,
> but it doesn't start 'recording' until you press a button on the
> brake hood. (The left if you have one button on each side) you
> can tell it's running when the Mile/h or Km/h on the display
> starts to flash.
>
> HTH
> Greg

That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I press the
"A" button on the unit itself. Nothing happens if I spin the front
wheel, press the "B" button, or press either of the buttons on the
brifters. the newer version of the manual, which I DL'd last night,
says that you need to press a button to wake it up but it does not
specify on the unit, but like I said the buttons on the brifters have
no effect.

I was able to determine through trial and error that pressing the "A"
button will wake it up every time so i'll just not worry about it.
It's not like I can claim a warranty replacement as I bought it cheap
on eBay from a private party. I don't think the seller ever installed
it, so can't blame him.

nate

N8N wrote:

> That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I
> press the "A" button on the unit itself.

I do have the wireless sensor on mine, that could explain the
difference in 'waking up' behavior.

Hmm... I wonder if the buttons on your brifters are working
correctly. The left button should correspond to the 'A'
button (or the more forward button if you have both buttons
on one hood). It wouldn't be the end of the world for your
'A' button on the brifter to not function, but it is the
stop/start for the odometer and the stopwatch function.

You might want to check to be sure your 'A' brifter button
is really working.

You can download a manual for the SC-6501 or SC-6502 here:
<http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/flight_deck.html>

Mine (and I suspect, yours) is a SC-6500 but the differences from
6500 to 6501 are slight.

Greg

Greg Evans wrote:
> N8N wrote:
>
>> That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I
>> press the "A" button on the unit itself.

> I do have the wireless sensor on mine, that could explain the
> difference in 'waking up' behavior.
>
> Hmm... I wonder if the buttons on your brifters are working
> correctly. The left button should correspond to the 'A'
> button (or the more forward button if you have both buttons
> on one hood). It wouldn't be the end of the world for your
> 'A' button on the brifter to not function, but it is the
> stop/start for the odometer and the stopwatch function.
>
> You might want to check to be sure your 'A' brifter button
> is really working.
>
> You can download a manual for the SC-6501 or SC-6502 here:
> <http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/flight_deck.html>
>

> Mine (and I suspect, yours) is a SC-6500 but the differences from
> 6500 to 6501 are slight.
>
> Greg

Mine's a 6501 and the "A" button does function, and I'm also getting a
shifter position signal from the left brifter. the brifter button does
not wake it up however.

nate

--

Nate wrote:
> Greg Evans wrote:
>> N8N wrote:
>>
>>> That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I
>>> press the "A" button on the unit itself.

>> I do have the wireless sensor on mine, that could explain
>> the difference in 'waking up' behavior.
>>
>> Hmm... I wonder if the buttons on your brifters are working
>> correctly. The left button should correspond to the 'A'
>> button (or the more forward button if you have both buttons
>> on one hood). It wouldn't be the end of the world for your
>> 'A' button on the brifter to not function, but it is the
>> stop/start for the odometer and the stopwatch function.
>>
>> You might want to check to be sure your 'A' brifter button
>> is really working.
>>
>> You can download a manual for the SC-6501 or SC-6502 here:
>> <http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/flight_deck.html>
>>

>> Mine (and I suspect, yours) is a SC-6500 but the differences
>> from 6500 to 6501 are slight.
>>
>> Greg

> Mine's a 6501 and the "A" button does function, and I'm also
> getting a shifter position signal from the left brifter. the
> brifter button does not wake it up however.

I stand corrected. The manual for the 6501 says:
> Canceling power save mode The normal display will return as
> soon as switch "A" or switch "B" is pressed.

The 6500 manual says:
> The normal display will return as soon as a signal is received
> or a button has been pressed.

I made incorrect assumptions, sorry.

Well now I know *one* of the differences between the 6500 and
the 6501. At least the link to the 6501 manual might be of some
use to you.

Greg