How efficient are bikes?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nick Atherley, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    that I am right?

    TIA

    Nick.

    Tags:

  2. Dougal \

    Dougal \ Guest

    Nick Atherley's a lumberjack and he's ok, whilst pressing wild flowers wrote:
    > I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    > the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    > that I am right?
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Nick.

    err the bike is very efficient, but the rider, hmmm thats a different story!

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:34:20 -0000, "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    >the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    >that I am right?
    >

    >TIA
    >
    >Nick.

    I once heard that the most efficient form/use of energy is a man on a bike, or woman.....no idea if
    it's true.

    :-]

  4. Bill says:

    >I once heard that the most efficient form/use of energy is a man on a bike, or woman.....no idea if
    >it's true.

    I don't know if a man on a woman is the most _efficient_ use of energy, but it sure is fun! ;->

    Steve

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    >the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    >that I am right?

    Well, I figure it must be about 250% efficient. I run about 10mph, but bike about 25mph.

  6. Tj

    Tj Guest

    I saw a study once. Once!.......dynamic power transfer from pedal to wheel is about %98-99
    efficient. A rider can go ( roughly) 3 times further than on foot on the same amount of calories.
    I.E for the math challenged like
    me: 1 mi on foot about 250 calories = 3 mi on bike about 250 calories So I would say that a bike
    increases the efficiency of locomotion by about %300. Up hill it decreases. Down hill it
    increases exponetially

    TJ takes off his dirty lab coat.

    "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    > the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    > that I am right?
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Nick.

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    > the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I am right though, anyone seen any sites that proves
    > that I am right?

    It depends on who is riding it. Now if you have a lameo sidewalk rider like duhski, frightpig or
    jpuddinhead, it's not efficient unless you count running over inocent pedestrians due to lack of
    rudimentary bike handling skills.

    JD

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was in
    > > the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I
    am
    > > right though, anyone seen any sites that proves that I am right?
    >
    > It depends on who is riding it. Now if you have a lameo sidewalk rider like duhski, frightpig or
    > jpuddinhead, it's not efficient unless you count running over inocent pedestrians due to lack of
    > rudimentary bike handling skills.

    it's INNOCENT you stupid fuck. And I wish you'd come stand on my sidewalk and let me give it a go
    like you described....

    > JustaDICK

  9. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >It depends on who is riding it. Now if you have a lameo sidewalk rider like duhski, frightpig or
    >jpuddinhead, it's not efficient unless you count running over inocent pedestrians due to lack of
    >rudimentary bike handling skills.

    >JD

    I've heard that having a pony tail significantly reduces efficiency too.

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a study once. Once!.......dynamic power transfer from pedal to wheel is about %98-99
    > efficient. A rider can go ( roughly) 3 times further than on foot on the same amount of calories.
    > I.E for the math challenged like
    > me: 1 mi on foot about 250 calories = 3 mi on bike about 250 calories So
    > would say that a bike increases the efficiency of locomotion by about
    %300.
    > Up hill it decreases. Down hill it increases exponetially

    So let me get this right? If I can find a steep enough hill thereby increasing my locomotion
    exponentially, I can travel at the speed of light? Or, (lowers voice to a quiet and awestruck tone)
    Even... faster...????

    Westie

  11. [email protected] (Stephen Baker) writes:

    > Bill says:
    >
    > >I once heard that the most efficient form/use of energy is a man on a bike, or woman.....no idea
    > >if it's true.
    >
    > I don't know if a man on a woman is the most _efficient_ use of energy, but it sure is fun! ;->

    And so is biking...

    --
    Øyvind Røtvold ._ @ http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html / //\. ... sciare necesse est ... \>> | \\

  12. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > > It depends on who is riding it. Now if you have a lameo sidewalk rider like duhski, frightpig or
    > > jpuddinhead, it's not efficient unless you count running over inocent pedestrians due to lack of
    > > rudimentary bike handling skills.
    >
    > it's INNOCENT you stupid fuck. And I wish you'd come stand on my sidewalk and let me give it a go
    > like you described....

    *ploink

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ebf270c9.0301242045.[email protected]...
    > > "Nick Atherley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I had an argument at work with a colleague today about the efficiency of bikes. I said it was
    > > > in the high 90% mark, he said no way. I am sure I
    > am
    > > > right though, anyone seen any sites that proves that I am right?
    > >
    > > It depends on who is riding it. Now if you have a lameo sidewalk rider like duhski, frightpig or
    > > jpuddinhead, it's not efficient unless you count running over inocent pedestrians due to lack of
    > > rudimentary bike handling skills.
    >
    > it's INNOCENT you stupid fuck.

    That's a laugh, *you* correcting my grammar, doof.

    > And I wish you'd come stand on my sidewalk and let me give it a go like you > described....

    Another cheap threat from a cheap bastard. What a grand surprise! I might be scared if you hady any
    bicycling skills, but the only way you could hit what you wanted to would be blind fool luck.

    JD

  14. Stu

    Stu Guest

    if you happen to have a copy of scientific american handy from march 1973 that is there is a nice
    article in there about bikes doesn't give a figure for efficiency. it just says "remarkably
    efficient machine both structurally and mechanically" goes on to say that a man walking burns about
    .75 calorie per gram per kilometre on a bike a man burns about .15 calorie per gram per kilometre
    which make him the most efficient from of travel, it terms of energy consumed in moving a certain
    distance as a function of body weight next best on the graph is salmon at .4 cal per g per km jet
    about .6 cars about .8 and the poor old lemming about 40. l guess the jets and cars may have got a
    little closer since 1973 but not much(mostly they just got bigger) hope this helps

  15. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Take it easy Ski I got a ponytail but it is braided.

    Fire up MTB 03

  16. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:30:34 -0800, TJ wrote:

    > I saw a study once. Once!.......dynamic power transfer from pedal to wheel is about %98-99
    > efficient. A rider can go ( roughly) 3 times further than on foot on the same amount of calories.
    > I.E for the math challenged like me: 1 mi on foot about 250 calories = 3 mi on bike about 250
    > calories

    Crap, and here I was doing this for the weight loss potential.

    gabrielle

  17. Tj

    Tj Guest

    Sure you could. You would probably have to remove any kind of friction as to not burn up. If the
    pull of gravity is great enough you could transcend time.

  18. Westie wrote:
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I saw a study once. Once!.......dynamic power transfer from pedal to wheel is about %98-99
    >>efficient. A rider can go ( roughly) 3 times further than on foot on the same amount of calories.
    >>I.E for the math challenged like
    >>me: 1 mi on foot about 250 calories = 3 mi on bike about 250 calories So

    >>would say that a bike increases the efficiency of locomotion by about
    >
    > %300.
    >
    >>Up hill it decreases. Down hill it increases exponetially
    >

    > So let me get this right? If I can find a steep enough hill thereby increasing my locomotion
    > exponentially, I can travel at the speed of light? Or, (lowers voice to a quiet and awestruck
    > tone) Even... faster...????
    >
    > Westie

    As long as there's a black hole at the bottom, that should accelerate you nicely!

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  19. On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:56:23 -0800, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:30:34 -0800, TJ wrote: . .> I saw a study once. Once!.......dynamic power
    transfer from pedal to .> wheel is about %98-99 efficient. A rider can go ( roughly) 3 times .>
    further than on foot on the same amount of calories. I.E for the math .> challenged like me: 1 mi on
    foot about 250 calories = 3 mi on bike .> about 250 calories

    That only applies to road bikes. Mountain bikes have too much rolling resistance.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  20. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sure you could. You would probably have to remove any kind of friction as to not burn up. If the
    > pull of gravity is great enough you could
    transcend
    > time.

    But, only on a JEEP mountain bike.