How far can a Trifle travel?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dona Denoyelles, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. I'm making an English Trifle to bring to my daughter's Christmas dinner
    - she lives 2 hours away. Since it won't be refrigerated for the trip, will the trifle arrive salmonella-
    free and safe for consumption?

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Dona DeNoyelles wrote:

    > I'm making an English Trifle to bring to my daughter's Christmas dinner
    > - she lives 2 hours away. Since it won't be refrigerated for the trip, will the trifle arrive salmonella-
    > free and safe for consumption?

    Use some ice packs and an ice chest so you don't have to worry about it... 2 hours is the cutoff.

    K.

    --
    >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-
    cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

  3. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    [email protected] (Dona DeNoyelles) wrote in news:12059-3FD280EA-
    [email protected]:

    > I'm making an English Trifle to bring to my daughter's Christmas dinner
    > - she lives 2 hours away. Since it won't be refrigerated for the trip, will the trifle arrive salmonella-
    > free and safe for consumption?

    Depends on the outside temperature and the type of ice chest you use. The cheapie styrofoam coolers
    for about $3.95 at Walmart will with Ice do you well for things like this or even if you want the
    turkey to stay warm too.

    --
    And the beet goes on! (or under) -me just a while ago

  4. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Dona DeNoyelles saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told
    us all about it on Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:22:50 -0500 (EST):

    >I'm making an English Trifle to bring to my daughter's Christmas dinner
    >- she lives 2 hours away. Since it won't be refrigerated for the trip, will the trifle arrive salmonella-
    > free and safe for consumption?

    You need to insulate it well and wrap it with icepacks. Then it'll be fine... if not it'll be a
    horrid gluggy melty mess whether or not the germies have started to breed - don't forget it's
    going to sit around once it gets to its destination too - you're not going to be eating it the
    moment you arrive!

    I'd suggest putting it into a dish that fits into your carfridge or icechest, or alternately lining
    a large lidded cardboard box with those foam coolbags and putting plenty of icepacks into it packed
    around the food. Don't forget to insulate the lid and underneath the food container as well.

    (btw, I'd also suggest carrying the cream seperately still in its bottle from the store, and
    whipping it once you get there.)

    (huggles)

    ~Karen AKA Kajikit

    Nobody outstubborns a cat...

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

  5. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Dona DeNoyelles wrote:

    > I'm making an English Trifle to bring to my daughter's Christmas dinner
    > - she lives 2 hours away. Since it won't be refrigerated for the trip, will the trifle arrive salmonella-
    > free and safe for consumption?

    Don't make the trifle ahead of time! They don't travel well at all. Other than soaking the sponge
    fingers in your chosen alcohol, keep the rest of the ingredients separate until you get to her
    house. Chill everything well (the fruits, custard and heavy cream) and pack it in an ice chest with
    some cooler blocks (those blueice things) or plastic bags of ice. Since it's a matter of minutes to
    assemble, you are better off doing it there.