How far do folk cycle to work

MIB

Guest
Hi there

Newbie question.

How far do most folk cycle to work.

If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19 is
bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the A19
route.

--

Dave R
_______________________________

MIB wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19 is
> bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the A19
> route.

Shortest round trip is 24km (15miles) however i offen take the long
route home increasing the total to 32km (20 miles) - in fact I have
decided to up this a little, and grab a bit more hill climbing practice.
This is all on road.

The first couple of weeks were hard, I would ride, then rest day, ride
etc. Now I can ride every day - tho I do get the bus sometimes on Friday
so I can hit the pub after work :)

I would suggest heading over to maps.google.co.uk and seeing if there
are any better roads.. if the A19 is going to a real pain.

Maybe the ryhope, doxford park, New Herrinton, A182 up to Birtley,
springwell, wrekenton and then windy nook Gateshead route would be
easier and more enjoyable.. (please note I don't know the area)

One thing I found is that I know have a much better knowledge of where
all the backlanes around here meet up and travel to. I even picked up
today an OS landrange maps covering the area - as this also gives a idea
of the hills and climb (it's contoured, unlikey most)

What ever you do, don't be scared of cars, be confident and travel at
speed on roundabout - pretend to be car ;-)
Oh and wear something visable.

--
XBL GameTag: Kinesin

(clear the weather to reply)

Kinesin wrote:

> MIB wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> Newbie question.
>>
>> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>>
>> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of
>> this would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland.
>> The A19 is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the
>> equation via the A19 route.
>>

> Shortest round trip is 24km (15miles) however i offen take the long
> route home increasing the total to 32km (20 miles) - in fact I have
> decided to up this a little, and grab a bit more hill climbing practice.
> This is all on road.
>
> The first couple of weeks were hard, I would ride, then rest day, ride
> etc. Now I can ride every day - tho I do get the bus sometimes on Friday
> so I can hit the pub after work :)
>
> I would suggest heading over to maps.google.co.uk and seeing if there
> are any better roads.. if the A19 is going to a real pain.
>
> Maybe the ryhope, doxford park, New Herrinton, A182 up to Birtley,
> springwell, wrekenton and then windy nook Gateshead route would be
> easier and more enjoyable.. (please note I don't know the area)
>
> One thing I found is that I know have a much better knowledge of where
> all the backlanes around here meet up and travel to. I even picked up
> today an OS landrange maps covering the area - as this also gives a idea
> of the hills and climb (it's contoured, unlikey most)
>
> What ever you do, don't be scared of cars, be confident and travel at
> speed on roundabout - pretend to be car ;-)
> Oh and wear something visable.

oh this is a mightly fine tool for tracked you planned distance around
routes.

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

--
XBL GameTag: Kinesin

(clear the weather to reply)

in message <[email protected]>, MIB
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of
> this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The
> A19 is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation
> via the A19 route.

I used to do 21 miles each way, but usually not more than three days a
week. All 'A' roads, but none of it trunk roads. A very pleasant way to
burn off the frustrations of the working day - but for me anyway 21
miles (taking about an hour and a quarter) would be close to the limit.

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

MIB wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19 is
> bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the A19
> route.

To work 7.5 miles direct. Home trip anywhere from 7.5 miles :) to 35
miles depending on weather and enthusiasm.

Stan Cox

MIB wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.

I used to do 7.5km but since I moved I'm only doing about 2.5 thought
the return commute can be longer as I may shop or run errands.
John Kane
Kingston ON

MIB wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19 is
> bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the A19
> route.

21 miles each way mostly on A roads, though not what I would describe as
busy ones.

I would not even dream of trying this off road. Need to keep moving.
Takes between 58 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes depending on the weather.

--chris

"MIB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19
> is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the
> A19 route.

My son does the 13-miles each way to college & back.

Cheers, helen s

MIB wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > Newbie question.
> >
> > How far do most folk cycle to work.

Less than two miles because I am too lazy to walk..

...d

Also sprach MIB <[email protected]>:
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of
> this would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland.
> The A19 is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the
> equation via the A19 route.

13.5 km each way, but average speeds not that high due to the 80-something
sets of traffic lights 'twixt Larrington Towers & the Nut Mines...

The entire population of Uxbridge has no idea that it actually doesn't
exist.

About 12 miles each way to/from central London. Takes about 45 mins
depending on traffic. If the traffic is bad it takes longer to weave
around the almost stationary cars, vans etc. but I feel more smug.

Er, it's a bit embarrassing, really.
1.09 miles, give or take a yard or two.
I sometimes go the long way home, though.

MIB wrote:

> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non
> of this would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via
> Sunderland. The A19 is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly
> out of the equation via the A19 route.

I'm a contractor so it varies. Currently it's 10k each way. If I'm a
bit late in the morning I'll take a shorter route on the fast dual
carriageway (not that I recommend it) reducing the distance to 8k. On
the way home I may extend it to as much as 30k of moderately pleasant
roads depending how I feel.

--
Dave...

> MIB wrote:
>
>> How far do most folk cycle to work.

24 miles each way. Tonight I extended my route home to 35 miles 'cos
it was soooo nice out!

--
Mark
______________________________________

MIB wrote:

> How far do most folk cycle to work.

8 miles each way. My commute is by far the most enjoyable part of my working
day, although I am getting a bit bored of it now.

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Er, it's a bit embarrassing, really.
> 1.09 miles, give or take a yard or two.
> I sometimes go the long way home, though.

Beats my 0.7. But there are often site visits and training sessions on
top.

I must be about the only person whose office moved even closer to home
from a location that was already within easy cycling distance. But
next year we move back.

Colin McKenzie

MIB wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.

I've averaged around 180 work miles per week during August.

Workplace varies (cycle-training)

For example today was a glorious 40 miles between several sessions in
the New Forest :)
I like my job :))

John B

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:11:40 +0100, MIB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.

5 miles each way. I often taken the slighty more pleasnat 6 or 6.5
mile routes. I have been known to stretch the return journey up to 30
miles (but probably only once a week or so, in the summer, and not
at all this year, for personal reasons).

regads, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

10 miles each way - around 50 mins (PB = 42!). Through the mean streets of S
London, all pretty much on the flat but around 40 sets of traffic lights and
signal crossings (I kid you not!)

Simon

"MIB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there
>
> Newbie question.
>
> How far do most folk cycle to work.
>
> If I travelled by bike it would be 14 miles give or take and non of this
> would be off road, basically Seaham to Gateshead via Sunderland. The A19
> is bad enough in a car so a bike is certainly out of the equation via the
> A19 route.
>

> --
>
> Dave R
> _______________________________
> MIB
> http://www.daveritchie.com

Since March I have been doing 9 miles either way, including 800ft of
climbing/descent. Prior to that I did 14 miles either way (very flat)
for three months; before that I walked a mile and a half.

Sometimes I extend the route home, depending on time/weather/stress
level. Longest ride home was approx. 40 miles (that was a chore after a
bad day!).

PB to work is currently 33mins, return PB is /just/ over a half hour.
Easy time is 40 mins.

Today I will be mostly cycling uphill to work, as my job this afternoon
invovlves riding up to the top of Holm Moss to cheeron the ToB boys.

Should be a fast ride home though!!

bfn,

Tony B