How far do you cycle?

DSK <[email protected]>typed

> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?

I don't ride at all now. A few years ago, I did 200 miles per week.

Golders Green to Hillingdon Hospital up to 8 times a week. At least 50 miles on a Sunday, either
Audax or CTC clubrun.

I tended to do less mileage commuting if I had a long Audax at a weekend.

DSK wrote:

> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?

Commute is 15 or 16 miles round trip (depending on route), leisure rides normally 30 miles plus,
rarely much more than 100 miles.

--
Guy
===

"DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?
>
> I cover roughly 8 miles per day, 5 days a week, so thats about 40 miles p/week.
>
> I am just arranging to get some leisure riding in with a friend and the suggested route will cover
> about 30 miles whihc we will hopefully do every couple of weeks or so.

17.5 miles/day.

Tim.

---

DSK wrote:
> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?
>
> I cover roughly 8 miles per day, 5 days a week, so thats about 40 miles p/week.
>
> I am just arranging to get some leisure riding in with a friend and the suggested route will cover
> about 30 miles whihc we will hopefully do every couple of weeks or so.

Commuting nil by bike, Leisure rides, between April and September 40 - 100 miles a week, usually in
one ride on a weekend.

On 28 Oct 2003 21:15:01 +1050, DSK <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
>leisure rides?

4 miles each way commute (5 days a week, come whatever weather)

.5 mile ew school run (1 day a week)

Probably an additional 25 mpw total average utility cycling

Leisure cycling is a bit peaky; ie nothing for 6 months and then 100 miles on Sat followed by 100
miles on Sun. (I choose to ride to and from the start of 100km Audax events).

The (2nd) car died of neglect some time ago - with less than 20k on the clock!

DSK <[email protected]> wrote in <3f9e48ad$1_1 @news.chariot.net.au>:

>I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
>leisure rides?

10 mile round trip commuting 5 days/week (took two or three days off because of snow last winter
after doing quite a bit of falling off on 23mm slicks)

I might do five miles round trip once or twice in a w/e taking my daughter swimming but much less at
this time of year.

max daily mileage is 75 miles although I reckon I could manage more if pushed. If I had fewer/older
children I would try the dunwich dynamo. I will make it one of these years.

Haven't toured in about 15 years. Would love to do it again but family commitment make this
complicated for a few more years

best wishes james aka pig pog

DSK <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?

Between 40 and 100 miles. Mainly commuting (18-24 round trip) with some shopping and social trips
thrown in. Less regularly a weekend tour. Iain c

DSK wrote:

> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?
>
> I cover roughly 8 miles per day, 5 days a week, so thats about 40 miles p/week.
>
> I am just arranging to get some leisure riding in with a friend and the suggested route will cover
> about 30 miles whihc we will hopefully do every couple of weeks or so.

28 mile round trip commute

50-60 saturday run

one day i met a guy who did London - Farnham, 45miles each way , three times a week.

davep

DSK wrote:

> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?
>
> I cover roughly 8 miles per day, 5 days a week, so thats about 40 miles p/week.
>
> I am just arranging to get some leisure riding in with a friend and the suggested route will cover
> about 30 miles whihc we will hopefully do every couple of weeks or so.

8 miles round-trip everyday whatever the weather is. It takes <20 mins each way. But Newcastle has
good cycle tracks. Wind is the only trouble.

In May I decided to stop cycling to the local station and commute the whole way in. Canons Park to
St James's Park five days a week, unless I'm away from the office. 11 miles each way, 34 minutes
into London with an average around 18mph, 39-40 on the way home with an average of 16mph. Feeling
quite chuffed today as my speedo just passed the 2000 mile mark.

Weekends tend to be 3-4 miles out with my 4 yo son, unless I do the 12 mile round trip to the local
Costo to stock up with whatever I can fit in my panniers!

DSK wrote:
> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> leisure rides?

My new job will be about 20 miles away. I should get some good mileage in!

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Walk to work (only 10 minutes door to desk, so no point getting the chain salty and worrying about
> parking security etc.), though if I'm just popping in out of hours I'll often use the unicycle.

Surely you mean unicycle as in the UNIversity's biCYCLE?

:) Andy

> DSK wrote:
>
> > I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
> > leisure rides?

No commuting at the moment :-(

Weekdays: Approx 150km total Saturday: Approx 80km Sunday: Approx 120km

Plus Turbo Trainer sessions (2 or 3 x 1hr)

--
Mark (MSA)

Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

Lee wrote:

> "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
>>leisure rides?
>>
>>I cover roughly 8 miles per day, 5 days a week, so thats about 40 miles p/week.
>>
>>I am just arranging to get some leisure riding in with a friend and the suggested route will cover
>>about 30 miles whihc we will hopefully do every couple of weeks or so.
>>

>>--

> I do 8 miles each way - 16 miles a day - which is plenty for a new commuter (been doing it since
> start of August) - im VERY close to selling my car now so it will be a 5 day a week 52 weeks a
> year commute! Rain, shine, snow or wind!

That's the distance I do, for the past 2.5 years.

Guray Acar wrote:

> 8 miles round-trip everyday whatever the weather is. It takes <20 mins each way. But Newcastle has
> good cycle tracks. Wind is the only trouble.

That'll be the Newcastle Brown then. :)
--
Mark

>> I was just curious how far people on here cycle on a dailiy basis (commutes) and how far for
>> leisure rides?

At the moment it's 9 miles to work, 5 days/week so 90 miles/week. Normally it's about 30 miles to
work, best I managed was 4 days/week. Waking up at 4.30 is not a great incentive. At the moment I'm
wondering if I should get a Velomobile or a job closer to home. Leisure rides vary greatly (never
done more than 120 miles/day), but I average 6.000 miles/year, probably half of that is commuting.

Mark van Gorkom.

> I have a mate that commutes 70 miles a day (london-reading-london).

Does he manage to do that every day?

On 29 Oct 2003 06:18:55 +1050, franklen <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have ben commuting for about 6 months now and feel pretty good physically, should I be able to
> do 30-40 miles on a weekend trip or more?

No problem at all.

--
Dave...