How far in one day

G

What's the longest distance have you travel in one day? :)
That would be, say in 12 hours. I have done 135KMs which is not that far so tell me what is physically possible? I would like to try to attempt it. So can someone set a bench mark for me ;D

I am not sure, however I know there was a cyclist a couple of years back who completed the trip from Johannesburg to Durban (South Africa.) (Approx.: 650 Km.) in 24 hrs.

A record which still stands for that trip.

There may be others, I am not sure of other distance rides worldwide.

Good luck in your research!

the bigest ride iv done is 260k though it took a bit more than 12 hours. (13) a lot of it was mountainous. A Canadian bloke who holds the record for bicycling across austalia (and america i think?) rode around 350k a day , every day :eek:
The only thing thats stops me riding too far is i like 8 hours sleep ;D. Hubert Operman from oz holds many distance records in oz. not sure what they are though.

Merlin what sort of terain was that is that on that blokes records?, 650k is a LOT (even just driving a car). Who needs a Car? ;D

My longest distance in a day was 293km, around the Mullumbimby/Nimbin area. It also included some savage hills and some shocking dirt roads, and it took a @#$%ing long time!

)so what lights did you use chris? i was using a 5 wat cat eye...****. I was underprepared i had leg and arm warmers on but it must of been the coldest day of winter and there was a strong wind .. it was soooo $%@ cold brrrr. but im brave...or stupid and i had to complete it....no sag wagan.

So whould you do that ride again chris?. ??? ;D. h e he
I now have a home made light (my dad made it) it uses a PVC tube (My idea) and in goes the bateries it can run a 15 wat light for 6 hours. it ataches to the top tube. though it does way a bit 2 kilo or so but its great to see exactly where you are going (so you can run over the toads ;D ) ;)

Mr ed If i was you i would first do a 200k ride and get good at them... if you then are Brave or Stupid :D like me and cris go for a 260 or 280 k ride. slowly increase your distance. You can ride for a long time it all depends on your ability remain awake and mentally willing and how much do you like sleep?

Also if you had a mate to go with you it would be much less lonely. After that many hours in the saddle it gets a bit that way for me.

good luck.. :)

)so what lights did you use chris? i was using a 5 wat cat eye...****. I was underprepared i had leg and arm warmers on but it must of been the coldest day of winter and there was a strong wind .. it was soooo $%@ cold brrrr. but im brave...or stupid and i had to complete it....no sag wagan.

What? Yuo mean today? Yeah, it was pretty cool this morning (who had ever heard of frost in Queensland? ??? ). Actually, I did my stupidly long ride last summer, so I'm not totally sure which is worse. At least I had enough daylight hours for it (just).

As far as doing that ride again goes, I'm not sure. I was doing OK up until about 260km or so, but the dirt roads earlier (for dirt roads read a heap of rocks sticking up out of the surface) left me a bit sore and sorry (not to mention slowing me down heaps). Late on I felt like I was getting a bit sick of it.

Incredibly, we don't see too many toads down here... yet. (I have a feeling it's just a matter of time ::) )

Chris L Thanks for that, 200kms to start with, But I forgot to tell you, the 135kms I do that twice a week Tue & Thur takes about 4 hrs 20 mins then i go to work, but I will give it a go and keep you posted :) 293kms is a long way and I dont know if ever I'll get that far, anyway thanks for all your imput
MR ed :D :D

About 240km for me, this was about 4 years ago

Longest ride this year would be about 170km, which I did about 3 weeks ago, mostly in the Grampians. Its hard to get in decent miles when you work 50 - 60 hours a week  :mad:

Do we have anyone from Ararat/stawell, who does 5 or 6 hours rides most weekends in the Grampians area? if so drop me an email at [email protected] i'm getting jac of doing long rides by my self  ;D

Steve, I might be in that area later this year (possibly around November). I'm planning a tour of Western Victoria taking in the Great Ocean Road then heading north to the Grampians. I might have a spare day or two for a long ride.

:eek: Some of my mates did the Audax ride around the Johannesburg area a couple of years back. Audax rides range in distance from 200 to 600k's. My buddies did the 400k ride in 17 hours.

The ride is a regular conversation peice 3 years after participating. Just shows that you do lose your mind eventually!

Here in the UK, as well as timed distance time trials, 10miles, 25, 50, 100, we also have time trials over a certain time, and the distance covered is measured.<br /><br />The 12 hour record currently stands at 300.27 miles<br /><br />The 24 hour record is 525.07<br /><br />I used to live in California (former clubmates' bike ride pages: http://home.att.net/~rfzipf/BikeRides.htm http://www.beautifulvista.com/bike_rides_index.htm) There is a superb long distance randonee scene there: http://www.planetultra.com/<br /><br />There are many double centuries (200 mile rides) with great support in beautiful scenery. I have done 3 of them, the Death Valley Double (in February when the weather was pleasant), the Eastern Sierra Double - the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains a spectacular! Finally, the Terrible Two - http://www.srcc.com/tt.html - in Napa and Sonoma counties North of SF.

Hi, every year the first Friday of December anyone is welcome to doe "DIE Burger Christmas Fund" race. Its not a race but a fun raising ride and everyone is cycling together till the end. It's 316 km. We start in Bellville (Cape Town) and cycle to Stellenbosch, from their we ride to Klapmuts and right to the Paarl. Over Du Toits Kloof pas into Worcester. Their we ride to Ceres and turn around over Bainskloof through Wellington. From Wellington we enter Durbanville and over Tiekie Draai till we get to Century City where it ends. Last year we started at 6h30 and was back in town at 16h00, with plenty of stops where we pick up money that was collected by people in that town (Here I have to mention TOYOTA, who supply the backup vehicles and foog and drinks at their premisses as well as Price Waterhouse for their hospatality. The nice thing about a ride like this is that it's actually done in "stages". If you feel tired, you miss thae one stages but start at the next stage. Doing the whole thing is 316km and you really start hurting that last hour. This is when the youngster normally move to the front and loose their commen sence ;D ;D but as they say "you can't teach a old dog new tricks". A couple of screams to the front and they are all back in line. A absolutely joy to do.

Well, my longest so far (in a grand total of 3 months riding) is 112km's (for the Tour De Gold). That wasn't too tough but considering how I felt the first time I jumped from 60-100km's I'm a bit wary of the next step (which would be, I guess, 150km's). A number of friends and I are keen to do the Double century (km's) team race in Ceres November 24'th, so hopefully at that stage I will be able to up that to 202 km's...<br /><br />That guy's Durban trip sounds hectic, I wonder if he was draughted at all, that would make it somewhat more reasonable as it is a theoretically downhill route (from 1700m-0m over course of route). I think anything longer than 200km's would only be tenable on a flat route (Free state sounds good) on a recumbent. (That would be just a leeetle nicer on the nether regions)

Rhodent, you better start working on your climbing. There is 3 mountain passes.

Mmm, I saw the profile Pothole, looks like a candidate for a single day of the TDF, one of the passes would certainly make category 2.... Ahh well, I'll work on my climbing and work on getting that third chain ring ready.. (yes yes, I am a wuss, its still better than walking and I'm really a MTB'er at heart)

No, you dont need a third chain ring, its not that bad, it's only "out of the saddle climbing" :p :p :p ..... Njammie... :p :p :p

pothole said:
Hi, every year the first Friday of December anyone is welcome to doe "DIE Burger Christmas Fund" race. Its not a race but a fun raising ride and everyone is cycling together till the end. It's 316 km. We start in Bellville (Cape Town) and cycle to Stellenbosch, from their we ride to Klapmuts and right to the Paarl. Over Du Toits Kloof pas into Worcester. Their we ride to Ceres and turn around over Bainskloof through Wellington. From Wellington we enter Durbanville and over Tiekie Draai till we get to Century City where it ends. Last year we started at 6h30 and was back in town at 16h00, with plenty of stops where we pick up money that was collected by people in that town (Here I have to mention TOYOTA, who supply the backup vehicles and foog and drinks at their premisses as well as Price Waterhouse for their hospatality. The nice thing about a ride like this is that it's actually done in "stages". If you feel tired, you miss thae one stages but start at the next stage. Doing the whole thing is 316km and you really start hurting that last hour. This is when the youngster normally move to the front and loose their commen sence ;D ;D but as they say "you can't teach a old dog new tricks". A couple of screams to the front and they are all back in line. A absolutely joy to do.
Pothole,
I notice the date of your post (re: Die Burger Christmas Fund) was 2002. Do you know if this event still takes place, and if so, could you give me some details on this years event. I'm part of a newly formed double century team, and after I showed them your message, a few of them are keen to do this ride.
Thanks
Anton