How far is your commute?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by N_laplaca, Sep 4, 2005.

1. N_laplaca

N_laplaca New Member

With the price of gas skyrocketing I have been thinking about commuting a few days a week. My commute will be 26 miles 1 way. Just wondering what others commute is.

Tags:

2. FELTF10

FELTF10 New Member

My commute varies according to time of day or if I'm a bit late or early; I can make it 14 miles to 24.4 miles but most of the time it's 19 miles. I didn't need gas prices to make me do it though, been doing it since 1978 year round, everyday. I can't begin to tell you how much money I've saved, it's bought me my dream bike and a hell of a nice bike for my wife along with a few others. :D

3. cdat

cdat New Member

I live three miles from my job and I come home for lunch, so I ride a total of 12 miles a day. I no longer own a car, so I will be a full time commuter now.

4. FatherBob

FatherBob New Member

The job I had before the hurricane was 16 miles by bicycle from my front yard. The new one is 10.9 miles.

Katrina blasting us so hard down here may at least result in some growth of the number of bicyclists for a while.

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I just got a job that's 16.65 miles away from me. My last one was 12 miles. But I've never biked to work before. I fear I can't bike to work because my job is temp to perm right now - so I can't take any risks. I would like to bike 10 miles partway then drive every day of good weather, but not until I go permanent.

6. Peka

Peka New Member

22-25km for me. Soon I will add a trip over a local 10km climb once a week on the way to work, which will make it ~45km to work.

We have lockers and showers at work. On Tues and Fri I take my boy to day care, which doesn't leave enough time for me to cycle, so I swap my clean/dirty clothes on those days.

7. TJRossi73

TJRossi73 New Member

I am a NEW cycling enthusiast who is excited to find that regular cycling has improved my asthma and decreased my dependence on asthma meds, but I would be lying if I said the price of gas wasn't an additional factor in my decision to expand my cycling goals. At present I commute around town (work, errands, etc.) approx. 2-5 miles but when school starts at the end of the month I will be commuting 25 miles/day (round trip) to school and home. This will not account for extra mileage to work or errands, which will add only an additional mile or two.

My biggest dilemma at present is buying a more suitable able bike than my present one for the job. I have tried many and still haven't made my final decision. This time I would like a bicylce I can grow into so that my goals can broaden as my health improves.:cool:

8. firechicken

firechicken New Member

Unfortunately I live 3 blocks from my work. I don't think this even qualifies as a commute. I'm in the seat for less than 60 seconds. I always try to ride around town for a little while before going home.

9. centralmail

centralmail New Member

4.5 miles (or thereabouts).

It is a PERFECT distance -- just enough to give me the appropriate dose of daily exercise...

10. Livos

Livos New Member

:D
    44 miles one round... reckon goes under 25+... LOL

Livos

11. kristadb

kristadb New Member

23km home to work to home.

However, I was on strike for 4 months and, during that time, I was doing upwards of 50km some days, as I was picketing at different locations.

12. Quentin147

Quentin147 New Member

I ride 10 miles each way through the Bronx. it is a real good distance love it.

13. Trek5500

Trek5500 Banned

I have two alternate routes, depending on time and weather.

One is a 6 miles (210' of climb) to a train station. I take the bike on the train to the office.

The other is a 14 mile trip over a 1200 foot ridge line. I start at about 500' and end near sea level (850' climbing going in and 1320 returning).

Not only is this a good climb (for me at least) but in morning when its dark I hear the owl, see the deer and skunk. The first part of the ride is on two lane roads through second growth redwood park and watershed land. I really like it. Later in the year the sun is just comming up and the views as I climb help offset the joys of my approaching cube.

I ride in the fog and the frost, but never in the rain. Winter temps here are generally mild, 40's in the predawn and occassionally in the low 30's. Fog is often very thick.

14. parawolf

parawolf New Member

I've got two options, the short one 'oh my god I slept in again' at 9.4km, or the longer option 'i'm really slack and should do this and more' at 14.6km. So I don't break 10mile which is 16.1km.

Going "as the crow flies" from home to work is about 6.5km.

15. bykmor

bykmor New Member

12 miles one way. it's almost a perfect V each way... 700ft down, 700ft up. it's just under an hour, which is how long it takes if i ride the bus.

everyone keep riding!

16. chizlr40

chizlr40 New Member

about 7 miles each way. i can go the 10 mile route when I use my road bike.

17. sockpuppet

sockpuppet New Member

9 miles to work, 9+ back home.

18. sockpuppet

sockpuppet New Member

9 miles to work, 9+ back home.

19. skidsinhawaii

skidsinhawaii New Member

Good lord. 26 miles is pretty far. I'm good if I can do the 7 miles to my work,,,althrough the last mile of it is pretty much straight up a pretty darn steep hill.

20. willida

willida New Member

Of course, we tell the truth to other cyclists about the distance of our commutes.

Otherwise, I think commute distance is a lot like the fish that got away or a notorious male body member--they all get longer in the telling. :eek: