How far is your commute?

skidsinhawaii said:
Good lord. 26 miles is pretty far. I'm good if I can do the 7 miles to my work,,,althrough the last mile of it is pretty much straight up a pretty darn steep hill.

Mine is 21 mi/34 km. I have to ride from the south-east to the north of my city and back (if I choose to) and it's not the longest possible route within the city bounds. Also when I come home I usually covered with soot and when I blow my nose... you wouldn't really want to see it :)

I work two different places, depending on what day it is. One set of labs is 18.9 miles, and the other is 4.5, so I have a lopsided commute two days out of the week;)

My "nu" commutes (that I've been doing for just three or four weeks) are 5 miles one way and 10 miles one way, depending on the day. But I want to work up to a once-a-year 100 mile commute to my other worksite (where I stay overnight) in Hartford, CT. I started my training today by riding 45 miles, the farthest I've ever gone on a bike. It was a strange day to do it, since I did a kayak marathon yesterday (3.5 hours, 20 miles on the ocean), but I feel fine. Apparently these sports are complementary, which makes me very happy, since I can go out and bike hard on the days I don't paddle.

NuCommuter

Hello.

I commute 18 miles one way a copule of times per week. I leave a car at work but if I am lucky, I get to ride to and from work. The ride is the best part of the day.

N_laplaca said:
With the price of gas skyrocketing I have been thinking about commuting a few days a week. My commute will be 26 miles 1 way. Just wondering what others commute is.

I commute 10 miles each way. I am using my old 85 miyata. The only hazard is that I start work at 4:30 am. I have a red light for the rear of my bike and it is quite visable. Any other early commuters out there?

wifeh8sbikes said:
I commute 10 miles each way. I am using my old 85 miyata. The only hazard is that I start work at 4:30 am. I have a red light for the rear of my bike and it is quite visable. Any other early commuters out there?
On some days, I have to go in early. Not quite 4:30 am, but often I have a
6 am meeting. In the Winter months, I'm often riding to work or home in the dark.

I'm gearing up to commute to work - night shift - this month (or as soon as the weather cracks.) Yes, I said night commute. I live about 18 miles from work, this includes a river crossing. I researched the idea of night commuting on the web as well as with fellow bikers and I feel pretty comfortable with it. I'm considering a better headlight right now. I'm using my road bike for the ride. I know I could do better with something else, but I can't afford another bike. I really think it will be ok. My route keeps me on low traffic roads and a bike path. The route isn't as direct as I want, but it is safer. I drove the route in the car several times and road it in the day once. We'll see.........

I calculated the savings of commuting, with gas at Three dollars a gallon and a twenty mile round trip, to be about Thirty dollars a week. Not to mention the bonus of an extra One Hundred miles I get to add to my mile log each week. guys at work say, Your crazy man, ten miles! Well they usually say it between drags on there cigarettes or bites of there dognuts. :)

I leave my home for my commute around 5:30 and with the time change, it is dark enough to require a light for about an hour. I ride the beach path from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica and much of the path dosen't have lights so a light is really needed. Are you concerned about being see by what traffric tghere is at 4:30 am?

wifeh8sbikes said:

I am always concerned about traffic.If I have to work on Friday and Saturday nights I will take all side streets and some sidewalks when necesary. There are too many people coming home from bars at that hour. In NY, the bars close at 4am. I am pretty well lit up. Man, I wish I could take a path from ANY BEACH to ANY any place with a name as beautiful as Santa Monica. I'm stuck commuting from Depew to Cheektowaga!

joseacasillas said:
I leave my home for my commute around 5:30 and with the time change, it is dark enough to require a light for about an hour. I ride the beach path from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica and much of the path dosen't have lights so a light is really needed. Are you concerned about being see by what traffric tghere is at 4:30 am?

Well ar least you're not in a car!

wifeh8sbikes said:
I am always concerned about traffic.If I have to work on Friday and Saturday nights I will take all side streets and some sidewalks when necesary. There are too many people coming home from bars at that hour. In NY, the bars close at 4am. I am pretty well lit up. Man, I wish I could take a path from ANY BEACH to ANY any place with a name as beautiful as Santa Monica. I'm stuck commuting from Depew to Cheektowaga!

7 miles each way along lake Michigan to my downtown Chicago job. Couple of times the winds have caused swells in the lake that flood the trail right up to the dividing wall of Lakeshore Drive, and the bravest of us scoot between crashing waves like a video game!

In retrospect... it's a pretty stupid idea. One mistake and your bike is out to sea, if not yourself, and that water ain't warm.

kspangler said:
I'm gearing up to commute to work - night shift - this month (or as soon as the weather cracks.) Yes, I said night commute. I live about 18 miles from work, this includes a river crossing. I researched the idea of night commuting on the web as well as with fellow bikers and I feel pretty comfortable with it. I'm considering a better headlight right now. I'm using my road bike for the ride. I know I could do better with something else, but I can't afford another bike. I really think it will be ok. My route keeps me on low traffic roads and a bike path. The route isn't as direct as I want, but it is safer. I drove the route in the car several times and road it in the day once. We'll see.........
Good luck with that commute, Keith. That's a long one!

Just found this forum. I ride 14 miles round trip to work and back every day, and have been doing so for almost 3 years. The first half of my commute is at midnight on some pretty dark streets, but it's a lot of fun. I use a homemade 20 watt light made out of pvc and it really lights up the road. People think I'm a slow moving motorcycle. At any rate, I love riding at night where it's cool and less traffic. I would'nt trade it for anything in the world.

My commute is approximately 10KM each way...it's about half an hour to forty-five minutes each way, give or take.

Once a week, I cycle 20KM to another office to deliver invoices, as well. So, altogether, I do about 140km each week.

I just started commuting via bike 2 days a week. It's 33.75 miles one way. I ride in and carpool with my wife back home. I have tried doing the round trip once, last friday (6/14/2006). By the time I got home, I was DEAD. A total of 67 miles of biking broken up by an 8 hour work day put me in bed by 10PM on a friday night.

The vast majority of my commute in on paved bike trails (about 28 miles), so I can just cruise along without having to stop.

I created this thread so I should finally weigh in. I just started commuting this week. Would have started sooner but I was recovering from a shoulder injury. Anyway it's 27 miles 1 way. I love it. I have to leave at 4:30 to be there for 6:30. That usually leaves me 30 minutes to spare in case of a flat or something. I don't have a shower at work so I use a product called rocket shower. spray on and wipe down.

I was torn between using a backpack or rack type system. I opted for a caradice sqr type system. Works very nice. Holds everything I need. My light is a nitehawk raptor. Works great but the battery is heavy. Between the bag and light I think I am adding 17 pounds to the bike. Felt awkward at first but I am used to it now. And hopefully the added weight will make me a stronger rider.

Nick