How far is your commute?

I do a 16 mile one way commute every work day. Total distance covered in a day is 44 miles. On the way back, i usually do a seperate training loop around Cherry Creek reservoir which adds 12 miles.

I use an Oakley backpack to haul my stuff. Plenty big and comfortable.

Keep the pedals turnin!

My commute is somewhere between 10-12 miles (each way). I suppose one of these days I'll get a bike computer with an odometer...

Right now I ride one or two days per week, more as training/maintenance for my weekend riding than as a commitment to bike commuting per se. But if we had showers at work I'd probably ride every day!

31 miles one way. I'm not very consistent in riding to work, attempting once a week on Friday with 2 partial commutes thrown in on Monday and Wednesday. After a while maybe work up to twice a week. Mostly flat with a few moderate hills. Wind can be an issue. Side wind for about 10 miles of it, either head or tail wind the remaining distance. The tail wind is on the ride home. :)

i ride 7.5 miles each way that is the most direct route. sometimes on nice mornings when the legs feel good i call in late on the cell phone and can add another 20 or so to that. my boss says it takes balls to use sick time and then roll the bike into the office but my reply is next time i'll just ride past and take the whole day. this is quite possibly the only drawback i have found commuting to work so far.

i do a 49km daily commute there and back....

its from hawthorn in melbourne to knox in melbourne

its a tough ride as there are lots of hills so i get a good hard work out every day of the week

then 2 70 km rides on the weekend

awesome

Hi folks

45 km or 28 miles in total. Im very new to this so its taking me 1 hour (almost exactly) to go one way. Im bit apprehensive about the winter coming. I work three shift system so can be coming home at midnight or later from the the city centre. For a little bit im going through some rougher housing estates ...but other than that its into a big flat valley and up out the other side. So only 2 hills a day realistically.

I have to be honest if it took more than an hour i probably wouldnt do it. This is a serious alternative to using a car. Hope i can stick with it.....Looking for all your support and enthusiasm if i need it.

The Cross.

18 miles / 1 hr of biking (one way) would be the limit for me. Then I'll just drive my car.

11.6 miles there, about 14 back. Can't ride the state highways in the afternoon commute, too many cars and trucks.

10 miles each way, a few days a week, kids + wifes shifts permitting. I dont use bad weather as an excuse. Would do it daily otherwise.

Car takes 40 mins, bike takes 50 mins but far more enjoyable. Also saves me having to go to gym for a cardio workout.

12.5 miles each way, flat all the way, 45 minutes. when I bike/bus/bike, it takes inbetween 40 minutes and 1 hour, depending on if I can get on the bus(racks full quite a bit)

So Cal commuter said:
12.5 miles each way, flat all the way, 45 minutes. when I bike/bus/bike, it takes inbetween 40 minutes and 1 hour, depending on if I can get on the bus(racks full quite a bit)
30 miles (48Km) each way with about 1300ft of climb in about 1:45.00 3 times a week. At current gas prices it saves about $11.00 a day.

Since moving to my new house 6 months ago my commute changed from 6km to 20km one way. Only recently bought a road bike after riding my mountain bike with slicks and what a difference did that make!!!:). Loving the commute even more so now. Bit of a change going to drops and having to curb my habit of going up and down gutters. Now I just have to start leaving more clothes at work so I don't have to carry too much. No rack on the road bike and no thought of putting one on.

8 miles of mostly flat, scenic (eagles, loons, deer and glorious confier forests), untravelled country road that runs along a river to the seaport town where I work.

I AM SO LUCKY!!!

My commute is 18.5km (11.5miles) one way.

On the way home I get to ride the Sydney Harbour Bridge bike-path which has one of the best views of Sydney.

alwaysmiling said:
My commute is 18.5km (11.5miles) one way.

On the way home I get to ride the Sydney Harbour Bridge bike-path which has one of the best views of Sydney.
My commute is around 22 miles each way, not much in the way of scenery unfortuantely. Though I do get to take in the view of Hampton Court Palace as I cross the Thames.

I make my commute is about 10 miles (40 mins) in and I usually take a 15 mile route back (50 mins-1 hr). If I am in a rush either way, the true distance is about 7 or 8 miles. It is in the Philadelphia suburbs (Delco and Montco); "rolling terrain" would describe it best. I use my mountain bike with slick tires, a front and rear light set since I leave at 6 am in the dark (I like the versatility my mountain bike gives me compared to my road bike on commutes). Anyone else feel like predawn rides are extremely peaceful and inspiring in a way that full daylight rides just does not provide?

I teach at a high school, so I shower and change in the coaches room which is a VERY nice set up. The morning exercise is a great way to start off the day..I feel energized and I really don't consider myself a "morning person" otherwise. With a wife and child it is a great way get a workout in without disrupting "family time".

(The only drawback is that I have to care my laptop in my backpack which gets heavy as the commute goes on. Also, the weather will be getting cold soon so that will challenge my dedication, I guess.)

Lets all continue to be safe.

I commute before sunrise, with my cygo-lite halogens attached, I might add. Peaceful 7.5 miles down wide pave, little traffic. Just enough of a ride to start my day out right with a reminder on the way home of another beautiful 7.5 miles. 5 dayz a week I enjoy commutin with the serious miles reserved for the weekend jaunts. "Other" people just don't understand why I love it so much. If only they knew......

Hi

I commute 5 days per week 19.6 kilometres per round trip. Two weeks out of four I ride in the afternoon returning around midnight to 1 am. The other two weeks I ride to work around 7 pm and return at about 5 am. The 5 am ride is in partial light for the first time so lighting is essential. Later in the year the 7 pm ride will be in daylight mostly. I ride about halfway to work on the road and almost all the way home on the road. I have a rear Cateye 5 led light which makes me pretty visible and a Smart twin halogen set on the front which gives adequate light to ride by.

I am considering a SON hub and twin B&M fork mounted light setup for the New Year when all but the afternoon ride is in darkness. This would have the advantage of not having to worry about whether my battery is charged or not.

I have been doing this since the start of the year and several benefits include firstly a tank full of fuel in the car lasts 3 weeks instead of a week to a week and a half. Secondly I have started riding again because the commute only takes 40 to 45 minutes return by bike compared to 30 in the car and saves taking 2 hours out of my day for a gym cardio session and is far more enjoyable.

Temperatures can get close to 0 in the winter so I layer clothing depending on the temperatures. To date I have been using a Camelbak Cloudwalker(includes 2 litres of water) backpack to carry gear but am considering a set of panniers so I dont have the pack on my back in the warm summer months. One good tip I picked up on a forum somewhere for keeping ironed clothing reasonable is to roll instead of folding clothes in the pack.