how far should i be going

izatt82

Mar 19, 2007
okay what would a good distance for me to be going on 2x20's. i dont have a comp on the computer. so im just looking for a good goal here. that way i have something to push for. oh and this is pretty flat so that will make a differance. i just dont know what a good distance would be no idea really i guess 20 min like 7 miles or something i dont know. so that would be about 23 miles per hour if i did my math right.

thanks guys

izatt82 said:
okay what would a good distance for me to be going on 2x20's. i dont have a comp on the computer. so im just looking for a good goal here. that way i have something to push for. ...
Yeah I look for roads that are pretty steady for at least 7 miles and better yet 10 to 15 in case I want to do some longer L4 efforts. You could pick out some landmarks and just do your intervals between them but I'd just strap a wristwatch to your bars and do these efforts on time. That way you can do 2x20s at high L4 some days, 2x30s at low end L4/SST other days or even high end L4 at Nx15 minutes to mix things up and for those days where you just don't have it mentally for the longer efforts. As long as you go at least 10 minutes in your L4 intervals you'll get into the right training zone but longer is better unless you're backing off your intensity so far you've dropped to a lower training zone. Anyway, find a long enough steady stretch of road without a lot of interruptions like traffic lights and stop signs and then do time based intervals or pick multiple landmark combos so you can mix it up a bit.

I am beyond a nooB, when referring to L1-x you are referring to? I am not meaning to thread jack but I am looking to get a bike real soon and want to start training as quickly as possible. Currently I run for my cardio work out and am routinely running a little over 8 miles in an hour, but recent problems with my right knee have me looking elsewhere for my cardio workouts. Couple this with the fact that some of my good friends are also cyclists.

I swam competitively in Hs and college so I think you are referring to interval training but what is L4 in reference to? Is there a mathematical formula for what output or times I should be doing for 1mile based on riding on flat terrain?

Thanks in advance,
~A

Punisher92009 said:
I am beyond a nooB, when referring to L1-x you are referring to? ...
I'm referring to power based levels in Coggan's training schema. Surf the power forums for a good explanation but they basically describe the intensity (measured in watts) and duration (equally important concept) that you should be exercising to target a particular adaptation. FTP describes the maximum steady power you can put out for approximately one hour on a day when you're well rested and highly motivated. His other training levels (with the exception of L7 or full on neuromuscular sprint efforts) are defined relative to FTP. The L4 stuff I was talking about is defined as 91% to 105% of FTP and is the core aerobic fitness that road racers need to build. You also need to hold these efforts for at least 10 minutes and ideally longer to target and train the appropriate energy delivery systems so picking an appropriate steady route really helps.

-Dave

Thanks Dave, thing is as being a nooB, I don't even know what I don't know. I am reading everything I can and trying to make correlations where possible. I am trying to find a beginner's w/o for an aero bike that does measure watts output. I think with a basic work out I can get into the swing of things and chill with the running.

Another thing I am 89kg and a touch over 16%bf. I am the proverbial FirePlug. 5'9" 198 and looking to get down to 178-ish. I wear a size 58 Jacket and 32 jeans. I am ok with my body eating some muscle so I am cal/carb depleting right now as I am trying to lose not only B/F but some muscle mass as well. Aero position, yeah right that is a good one, I am the Excursion bike (read rolling brick). I know my saving grace will be power output. I know I am built to be a sprinter or so my cycling friends say.

Once again thanks for your patience from a brand spank'n new nooB
~Andy

okay did my first 15 mile ride today farthest i have gone so far. rode it in 55 mins.

i think thats pretty good only rode the bike about five times now well maybe six rides on it.

okay newbe question now so is that a good time? i dont even have a refeance point of what a good pace is for a 15 mile ride. hard to set goals you know.

anyway thanks guys next day out is going to be 2x20 to get that in

izatt82 said:
...15 mile ride today farthest i have gone so far. rode it in 55 mins....okay newbe question now so is that a good time? ...
It really doesn't matter, the point is you got out and did it. I could tell you that folks should be able to do 15 miles in 45 minutes or 70 minutes (depends a lot on the course, the wind, etc.) but the key thing is that you did it and have a starting point to gauge your progress. But I know that's not a very satisfying answer, don't worry 16 mph average speed (basically what you did) is fine for a door to door average pace since it means you rode a bit faster to account for traffic and stop signs and all the other interruptions that happen. Try not to get too caught up in what speed others are capable of. I know I can't put out the power that some folks post on this forum, but I can still ride effectively and have renewed my racing license so I'll see how well that goes after all these years.

You'll only build fitness by working at the level that works for you. If you try to hold powers too far above your current abilities you'll blow up or spend all your time riding anaerobically which won't build the aerobic engine you're after. Just do those 2x20's at a pace that's hard but sustainable, shoot for an effort that results in deep steady breathing and makes it challenging but not impossible to take sips from your water bottle. If you don't need a lot of concentration to finish the efforts you should bump up the intensity on the next effort. If you can't complete them or your breathing gets totally ragged and out of control then you need to back off a bit. The pace someone else might hold doing their 2x20s is irrelevant to your progress.

Good luck,
Dave

thanks alot for that yeah i'll just keep up the 2x20's

good info like i said im new to bike world so this is all helpfull.

one other thing i was think about how do you guys know your ready to race. is it just a matter of time on the bike?

thanks

and also what is a good break between the 2x20's time wise anyway to stay aerobic

izatt82 said:
and also what is a good break between the 2x20's time wise anyway to stay aerobic
dude if you're doing 2x20s you don't care about distance. Training should be based on intensity. Just go for 20 minutes at a hard pace that you can sustain for the full 20 minutes. By the last 5 minutes of the second interval, you should be grinding it out. If not, you're going too easy. In between the intervals, rest for 6 minutes. Go at a sub aerobic level. (If you don't know what that is, just go really easy).

And for that other guy, you should get Joe Friel's book "The Cyclist's Training Bible"... Read that, make notes, and you'll get exactly what's going on. The only thing you'll be missing after that is a proper training program. I found that book didn't cover the details of a succesful program well enough...not enough examples. Otherwise, it covers pretty much everything you need to know about training, and it's not a hard read.

izatt82 said:
thanks alot for that yeah i'll just keep up the 2x20's

good info like i said im new to bike world so this is all helpfull.

one other thing i was think about how do you guys know your ready to race. is it just a matter of time on the bike?

thanks
I've always been crazy, but I feel ready to race when I wake up and feel like I could take on an army, and I'm full of energy and I just need to let it out. Abstaining also helps with this. If you feel really strong, then you're ready. Don't base yourself on others, because the only way you'll learn is by going out, doing a race, then going home and seeing what needs to be changed and what worked.

yeah thats what i figuered. my biggest thing right now i think is just getting saddle time.

so my butt can get used to it. although its already gotten alot better so thats good.
yeah i guess i just had the wrong training idea so 2x20's it is . and it seems like i make progress everytime i go out i just feel like i got more push you know. so thats a good feeling. when you can go faster than you did before with the same effort it just feels good. and i feel like my lactic threshold has went up it takes alot more to gett burn than the first day. but any way 2x20s sounds like the way to go.

thanks guys for the advise

izatt82 said:
yeah thats what i figuered. my biggest thing right now i think is just getting saddle time.

so my butt can get used to it. although its already gotten alot better so thats good.
yeah i guess i just had the wrong training idea so 2x20's it is . and it seems like i make progress everytime i go out i just feel like i got more push you know. so thats a good feeling. when you can go faster than you did before with the same effort it just feels good. and i feel like my lactic threshold has went up it takes alot more to gett burn than the first day. but any way 2x20s sounds like the way to go.

thanks guys for the advise

Just remember that 2x20s won't work forever. Soon enough you'll have to change your strategy. Once you're not getting any faster, switch to 3x15s, then alternate between the two, then get up to 3x20s, 4x15s, or 3x17s and 2x20s...just mix it up for a few weeks at a time. Redundance in a training schedule will result in a lack of improvement. Just gradually increase the time every month or so. You can do that by going from 2x20s to 3 shorter intervals...like 15 or 17s..I can't make a plan for you, but you should get the idea.

K50 said:
...Redundance in a training schedule will result in a lack of improvement...
What are you basing that on kev? I've been on a steady diet of 2x20s for 6 months and my FTP climb hasn't slowed yet. I haven't seen anything in sports physiology literature that suggests that you need to vary the length of your intervals to avoid plateaus or stagnation. You certainly have to vary the absolute power as your fitness improves but I can't think of any published work or first principle that demands a change in the structure of your intervals. I can see mixing it up for pyschological reasons but not physiological. You should eventually introduce other types of intervals like 5 minute L5 or minute and a half L6 work not to mention L7 sprints and other things to give you a broad racing base. But I don't see any driving reason to change L4 work from 20 minutes to 17 or 15 or any other arbitrary length.

I do vary mine occasionally, either because I don't have it mentally or physically to complete 20 minute sets or because I'm taking a bit easier week and then I'll drop intensity and increase duration to 30 or even 45 minutes. But I don't intentionally plan to vary them based on fears of stagnation and the vast majority of my weekly L4 work has consisted of 20 minute repeats. If you can point to something that backs up your point of view I'd like to see it.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
What are you basing that on kev? I've been on a steady diet of 2x20s for 6 months and my FTP climb hasn't slowed yet. I haven't seen anything in sports physiology literature that suggests that you need to vary the length of your intervals to avoid plateaus or stagnation. You certainly have to vary the absolute power as your fitness improves but I can't think of any published work or first principle that demands a change in the structure of your intervals. I can see mixing it up for pyschological reasons but not physiological. You should eventually introduce other types of intervals like 5 minute L5 or minute and a half L6 work not to mention L7 sprints and other things to give you a broad racing base. But I don't see any driving reason to change L4 work from 20 minutes to 17 or 15 or any other arbitrary length.

I do vary mine occasionally, either because I don't have it mentally or physically to complete 20 minute sets or because I'm taking a bit easier week and then I'll drop intensity and increase duration to 30 or even 45 minutes. But I don't intentionally plan to vary them based on fears of stagnation and the vast majority of my weekly L4 work has consisted of 20 minute repeats. If you can point to something that backs up your point of view I'd like to see it.

-Dave

I can't remember reading any specific literature, but I remember hearing some TdF cyclists saying "never do the same thing two years in a row", that's a little different though. But my brother in law who was professional and my coach told me not to keep doing the same thing, to mix it up like I mentioned. I honestly have no real piece of info that I can throw your way to show you...I'd have to dig a little. Eventually though you will plateau. I think varying it might help to build up the power faster. Who knows...I'm sure there's alot of schools of thought on this one as usual, but I trust my coach and my bro in law, so that's key for me. :)

thanks guys those 2x20's seems to be making a diff. seems like every day i go out im going faster. and i just feel stronger not alot but theres a differance. and if cycling is anything like some of the other trainng i have done. changing it up a bit really helped me before so i have to agree k50.

i have one other question for you guys. the weather has been sucking around here. and i have to watch it and get a 2x20 when i can. like today nothing but rain. what do you guys do on those days?

izatt82 said:
... if cycling is anything like some of the other trainng i have done. changing it up a bit really helped me before so i have to agree k50.
No question your training mix should vary in terms of intensity. L4 is the foundation, but you need to work VO2max, AC, NM power and if you plan on doing very long events then occasional long endurance rides are useful. My only point is that when targeting a particular system (L4 in the example) I haven't seen any evidence that you'll respond better or avoid plateaus with some 20 minute, some 17 minute and some 15 minute L4 repeats as suggested. Creating a varied training mix is crucial but on those days when you target a given intensity I don't see where you gain much by working that intensity for shorter durations. If you bump the intensity as you drop the durations, then no argument, that's good variety and may help you raise your FTP but that's not how I read the original post.

i have one other question for you guys. the weather has been sucking around here. and i have to watch it and get a 2x20 when i can. like today nothing but rain. what do you guys do on those days?
Ride in the rain, ride the trainer or when it's snowing cross train on skate skis. Riding in the rain is no big deal if it's warm enough.

daveryanwyoming said:
My only point is that when targeting a particular system (L4 in the example) I haven't seen any evidence that you'll respond better or avoid plateaus with some 20 minute, some 17 minute and some 15 minute L4 repeats as suggested. Creating a varied training mix is crucial but on those days when you target a given intensity I don't see where you gain much by working that intensity for shorter durations. If you bump the intensity as you drop the durations, then no argument, that's good variety and may help you raise your FTP but that's not how I read the original post.
Keep in mind that it's not necessarily about boosting power, but increasing the amount of time that you can hold that power. Increasing 20 minute power is definitely a plus, but it's also a good strategy to increase the amount of time that you can hold that power. It depends on whether your goal is to specifically increase your 20 minute power, or extend your endurance. Last week I got up to 2x30s at L4. My training schedule increases that gradually as well. Eventually, I want to be able to hold that power for about 45 minutes.

izatt82 said:
thanks guys those 2x20's seems to be making a diff. seems like every day i go out im going faster. and i just feel stronger not alot but theres a difference. and if cycling is anything like some of the other trainng i have done. changing it up a bit really helped me before so i have to agree k50.

Glad it helped out!

On crappy days like that, I get stuck in the gym. Like this week. It's -5 with 5" of snow instead of being 10C above like it's supposed to be, so I ride on the stationary bike. I can't tell you how much I hate winter weather in spring and summer. I normally cut my time because it is incredibly boring sitting on a stationary bike with a terrible saddle. Ipod videos help though.

yep thanks guys. and i think my lactic is getting better to just from being on the bike first couple of rides had the burn going pretty good but it takes more now.

and this might sound dumb but how do i know im staying in L4? right know im pretty much following what you guys said to the letter 2x20s 6 minute break all that but just wondering? and like you guys said i try to bring myself slowing to a good pace and then just grind it out. and i try to make sure that my breathings elavated but not hard. i dont have a heart rate monitor yet but like i said i try to just stay steady and if i catch some rolling stuff i keep it in the same gear and grind up trying to stay at the same speed and what not mostly it just burns breathing useally stays about the same a little harder.

just trying to learn and it sounds like that book is the next step for me. but right know im in college so reading anything extra kinda hard but this summer would be good.

thanks guys im just trying to start good to hopefully build a better future.

oh and when you extend that time or the intervals you still want all of the above right?
dont want the crazy breathing and high heart rate at the end ?