How far...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Sebastian Ovett, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. ...do you have to run to be happy?

    Tags:

  2. Steve Coe

    Steve Coe Guest

  3. Steve Coe

    Steve Coe Guest

  4. Steve Coe

    Steve Coe Guest

  5. Steve Coe

    Steve Coe Guest

  6. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >How far...do you have to run to be happy?

    Far enough to "fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds'
    worth of distance run."

  7. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >How far...do you have to run to be happy?

    Far enough to "fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds'
    worth of distance run."

  8. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:36:36 GMT, Steve Coe <[email protected]> wrote:

    >97

    Not 42? Douglas said the answer was 42 and I believe him.

  9. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:36:36 GMT, Steve Coe <[email protected]> wrote:

    >97

    Not 42? Douglas said the answer was 42 and I believe him.

  10. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:16:19 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anywhere from not at all to a few miles, depending on who
    >I'm with at the time.

    Je understandeth not, mon ami.

    The question was not related to companions nor to any
    particular place or time. For a fan of the scientific
    method, you sure do seem averse to answering a simple
    question in a direct manner.

  11. Carlos Jones

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anywhere from not at all to a few miles, depending on who
    >I'm with at the time.

    Je understandeth not, mon ami.

    The question was not related to companions nor to any
    particular place or time. For a fan of the scientific
    method, you sure do seem averse to answering a simple
    question in a direct manner.

  12. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 18:43:09 GMT, [email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote:

    >>How far...do you have to run to be happy?

    >Far enough to "fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds'
    >worth of distance run."

    I *knew* I could depend on you for an intelligent answer.

  13. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 18:43:09 GMT, [email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote:

    >>How far...do you have to run to be happy?

    >Far enough to "fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds'
    >worth of distance run."

    I *knew* I could depend on you for an intelligent answer.

  14. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "Sebastian Ovett" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    > ...do you have to run to be happy?

    If I'm doing a longer-type run, I find (as many do) I fall
    into agroove about 35 - 40 minutes into it. I guess you
    could call this "happy". It certainly feels great.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

  15. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 18:50:13 GMT, [email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote:

    >>I *knew* I could depend on you for an intelligent answer.

    >With apologies to Rudyard Kipling...

    Yeah, I knew that. Point is, how many other rec.runners did?

    We really must conduct a survey on the educational
    attainments of this band of brothers, though I suspect that
    most will live on the wrong side of the bell shaped curve.

    Does that sound elitist? Sorry, I'm actually an inclusive-sort-of-
    guy at heart.

  16. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:47:35 -0500, "SwStudio"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sebastian Ovett" <[email protected]>
    >wrote in message
    >> ...do you have to run to be happy?
    >
    >If I'm doing a longer-type run, I find (as many do) I fall
    >into agroove about 35 - 40 minutes into it. I guess you
    >could call this "happy". It certainly feels great.
    >
    >cheers,

    D'ya think he knows it's me?

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Carlos Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:16:19 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Anywhere from not at all to a few miles, depending on who
    >>I'm with at the time.
    >
    > Je understandeth not, mon ami.
    >
    > The question was not related to companions nor to any
    > particular place or time.

    There's an old story about the philosophy department at the
    university of Melbourne where I studied for my undergraduate
    degree (I don't know if it's truth or legend). The
    philosophy department had apparently given identical
    questions on an exam paper in consecutive years, and were
    called on it.

    Their response was "yes, but the answers are different
    this year".

    > For a fan of the scientific method,

    Sometimes I tire of Occam's razor and grow some stubble.

    > you sure do seem averse to answering a simple question in
    > a direct manner.

    Not averse, just lazy.

    Cheers,

  18. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 19:00:50 GMT, [email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote:

    >>Yeah, I knew that. Point is, how many other
    >>rec.runners did?
    >
    >Oh, I'd bet that many runners have found some inspiration
    >from "If." It's the sort of thing that would generally
    >appeal to people who reject the value of sitting on their
    >butt marking time. Or, is that your point?

    See? If I let you ramble for a while you get there in
    the end :)