How far...

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:00:51 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There's an old story about the philosophy department at the
>university of Melbourne where I studied for my
>undergraduate degree (I don't know if it's truth or
>legend). The philosophy department had apparently given
>identical questions on an exam paper in consecutive years,
>and were called on it.

I have family in Melbourne, though they're incomers, being
from Casterton in Victoria originally. They hate it,
Melbourne, that is.

>Their response was "yes, but the answers are different
>this year".

Given the academic and scientific worlds propensity for
coming up with new 'truths' every half hour, that seems a
reasonable response.

>Sometimes I tire of Occam's razor and grow some stubble.

Occam's been bought out by Gillette, didn't you know?

>Not averse, just lazy.

Treadmills can do that to a guy.

Just so long as each and every person believes as you
believe, adheres to your understanding of the universe,
worships and hangs upon your every word.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:07:57 GMT, Leo <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just so long as each and every person believes as you
>believe, adheres to your understanding of the universe,
>worships and hangs upon your every word.

I have, my little friend, via the sweat of my brow and the
labour of my brain and hands, *earned* the right to adopt
this haughty position. When - indeed if - you too earn that
right, I'll be mighty interested to see whether you adopt a
more magnanimous stance.

In article <%[email protected]>,
"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sebastian Ovett" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> > ...do you have to run to be happy?
>
> If I'm doing a longer-type run, I find (as many do) I fall
> into agroove about 35 - 40 minutes into it. I guess you
> could call this "happy". It certainly feels great.
>
> cheers,

me too. occasionally, if i'm not feeling too well
physically, i'll cut it back to 30 min., and that can feel
ok, and i'll feel better mentally and physically afterwards.
but normally, i hit the happy place around 35
min. and after that it's just a matter of my running goal
for the day.

Cam

"onemarathon" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> In article <%[email protected]>,
> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Sebastian Ovett" <ancientbritrunners@good-old-
> > days.co.uk> wrote in
message
> > > ...do you have to run to be happy?
> >
> > If I'm doing a longer-type run, I find (as many do) I
> > fall into agroove about 35 - 40 minutes into it. I guess
> > you could call this "happy". It certainly feels great.
> >
> > cheers,
>
> me too. occasionally, if i'm not feeling too well
> physically, i'll cut it back to 30 min., and that can feel
> ok, and i'll feel better mentally and physically
> afterwards. but normally, i hit the happy place around 35
> min. and after that it's just a matter of my running goal
> for the day.

Yeah, it happens very quickly for me, when it does... it's
like my form has been making all these micro adjustments for
half an hour and suddenly you find that "sweet spot" where
you feel like you are floating.

I've discussed this with a friend while on a run one
day - he thinks the feeling has it's origin is heart
rate stabilization once your body shifts to primarily
fat burning.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

All country people hate Melbourne. All my friends are from
Portland and hate it here. I love Melbourne but I've lived
here all my life.

Thanks Miss-G-

"Carlos Jones" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:00:51 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There's an old story about the philosophy department at
> >the university of Melbourne where I studied for my
> >undergraduate degree (I don't know if
it's
> >truth or legend). The philosophy department had
> >apparently given
identical
> >questions on an exam paper in consecutive years, and were
> >called on it.
>
> I have family in Melbourne, though they're incomers, being
> from Casterton in Victoria originally. They hate it,
> Melbourne, that is.
>
> >Their response was "yes, but the answers are different
> >this year".
>
> Given the academic and scientific worlds propensity for
> coming up with new 'truths' every half hour, that seems a
> reasonable response.
>
> >Sometimes I tire of Occam's razor and grow some stubble.
>
> Occam's been bought out by Gillette, didn't you know?
>
> >Not averse, just lazy.
>
> Treadmills can do that to a guy.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:24:11 GMT, "Miss-G-"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>All country people hate Melbourne. All my friends are from
>Portland and hate it here. I love Melbourne but I've lived
>here all my life.

Why are people like that? I was born in the heart of a UK
city, lived for my early years on an lemon farming estate in
rural Rhodesia (Zimbabwe to you youngsters) and have had
homes everywhere from Rome to wildest Scotland.

I mean, you can't let a place *define* you, anymore than you
can *be* you job. If you try hard enough you can find
something to love about every place you've ever lived. If
you do find a city intolerable, then leave, don't moan.

I've never been to Oz, though it's high on my list of places
to visit, especially as I have a son who's obsessed with the
strange little animals that inhabit your land. Trouble is,
my cousin is dying of MS somewhere in a Melbourne nursing
home and I fear I'd get sucked into the whole 'supportive
family' routine when I've never even met the guy before. I
mean, he's gonna die anyway and I can't see him giving a
**** about whether he see me before he pops his clogs, so
we'd both end up being incredibly brave and supportive when,
in reality, we'd both rather be with someone else, doing
something else.

Anyway, all I want to see in Oz-land is the desert. So, go
on, tell me about the desert. Make me so jealous I go
searching on the 'net for a cheap ticket :)

In article <%[email protected]>, Miss-G- wrote:
> All country people hate Melbourne. All my friends are from
> Portland and hate it here. I love Melbourne but I've lived
> here all my life.

I grew up in bushland outside Melbourne (near a big national
park), but I spent a few years in Melbourne and like it. But
that doesn't alter the fact that what you're saying is
essentially true -- some people just don't like city life,
especially if it's not what they're used to.

Cheers,

> ...do you have to run to be happy?

I stand still, but the earth moves backwards under my feet!

"Carlos Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:24:11 GMT, "Miss-G-"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >All country people hate Melbourne. All my friends are
> >from Portland and hate it here. I love Melbourne but I've
> >lived here all my life.
>
> Why are people like that? I was born in the heart of a UK
> city, lived for my early years on an lemon farming estate
> in rural Rhodesia (Zimbabwe to you youngsters) and have
> had homes everywhere from Rome to wildest Scotland.

Do you have a British accent, or Rhodesian? Had a friend in
grad school who was white Rhodesian and had the prettiest
accent--roughly British, but more
. . . liquid, if that makes sense. Then he had the sense to
finally marry my son's godmother and now they're off
making babies of their own: half Rhodesian, half
Indonesian, half Jewish, half Muslim, all 100% gorgeous,
of course.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:21:49 -0500, "DrLith" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Do you have a British accent, or Rhodesian?

I was sent to boarding school in the north of England at age
11. My schoolchums beat the Rhodesian out of me and, once my
accent was 'north eastern', took me to their hearts. In fear
of such beatings ever recurring, I have retained my 'flat
'A'' northern accent to this day.

>half Rhodesian, half Indonesian, half Jewish, half Muslim,
>all 100% gorgeous, of course.

All very well, but which side will they be on in the coming
apocalypse?

"Emily Jane Bronte" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> >half Rhodesian, half Indonesian, half Jewish, half
> >Muslim, all 100% gorgeous,
of
> >course.
>
> All very well, but which side will they be on in the
> coming apocalypse?

I was unaware that the Jews were expecting one--figured they
were rather more "not with a bang, but a whimper" folks.

If that's the case, I expect they'll be on the side of
Allah, amongst "gardens watered by running streams, where
they shall dwell for ever: spouses of perfect chastity and
grace from God.'" (Sura 3:14-15)

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:40:09 -0500, "DrLith" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was unaware that the Jews were expecting one

Expecting one? I thought they were slap-bang in the
middle of one.

>If that's the case, I expect they'll be on the side of
>Allah, amongst "gardens watered by running streams, where
>they shall dwell for ever: spouses of perfect chastity and
>grace from God.'" (Sura 3:14-15)

Yup, I guess the smart money would be on their team.
Human history tends to run in cycles, and our side may
have had its day.