how fast amateur female cyclists go?

j_808

Sep 4, 2009
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to road racing. I have just recently started training with no high expectations, i just want to see where it will take me (not career wise)
I am female and i am 17 years old
i was just wondering how fast women of my age or older tend to go when it comes to road races or what ever. i have a cycle computer and i just want to work towards get my speed up with tiring and maintain the speed.
this could be the speed of the lead train in a race or just basically in general.
any help would be most greatly appreciated :)

j_808 said:
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to road racing. I have just recently started training with no high expectations, i just want to see where it will take me (not career wise)
I am female and i am 17 years old
i was just wondering how fast women of my age or older tend to go when it comes to road races or what ever. i have a cycle computer and i just want to work towards get my speed up with tiring and maintain the speed.
this could be the speed of the lead train in a race or just basically in general.
any help would be most greatly appreciated :)

Not a chick, but I'd guess 22-24ish(MPH) on flats w/ a road bike in the drops.

Don't know about your age group but I'm 40 and I avg 18 plus. I'm comfortable at 21 also. Just depends on the riding conditions and what kind of shape you're in.

j_808 said:
...i was just wondering how fast women of my age or older tend to go...:)

Hi, 808.

My 11 year old daughter races road and track in JG-13 class (under 13's), and their road races and TT's range from 20 - 30 kph average, depending upon distance, terrain, weather etc.

There are several girls / women in her club riding JW-15 (under 15's) and JW-17 (under 17's) at National level. At the 2009 Australian Junior Road Nationals they took out the TT's at average speeds of 38.22 kph and 39.86 kph respectively, while the JM-15 and JM-17 TT's were at average speeds of 41.54 kph and 40.45 kph respectively.

Average speeds for first places in the road races were:

JW-15 29.11 kph (25 km)
JW-17 31.72 kph (44 km)
JM-15 32.42 kph (34 km)
JW-17 35.43 kph (68 km)

This was on the hilly terrain around Canberra's Mt Stromlo area.

Hopefully this gives you some idea.

Cheers,
EoinC