How fast are they going?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hell and High Water, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.

    I was wondering just how fast these guys go?

    Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.

    Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

    Thanks so much,

    -Bob

    Tags:

  2. Dwayne

    Dwayne Guest

    Hell and High Water wrote:
    > Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
    >
    > I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
    >
    > Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
    >
    > Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

    I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
    cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
    Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

  3. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    Dwayne wrote:
    > Hell and High Water wrote:
    > > Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
    > >
    > > I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
    > >
    > > Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
    > >
    > > Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

    > I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
    > cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
    > Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

    Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
    rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
    too much.

  4. "RicodJour" <[email protected]> writes:

    > > Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

    > Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
    > rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
    > too much.

    You have to be very careful on those bends on the descent into San
    Remo as they are very tricky and if you mess up you end up in the
    plastic roofed greenhouses down below

    That's why a lead of even a few seconds over the top is a real morale
    booster as you can usually descend faster solo than in a group and
    it's only about a klick and a half from the bottom of the descent to
    the finish

    I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
    several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
    Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
    with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

    Game over Rizzio!!!!!!

    --
    Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
    Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres

  5. On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
    >several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
    >Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
    >with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

    It wasn't Fondriest.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. "RicodJour" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Dwayne wrote:
    > > Hell and High Water wrote:
    > > > Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
    > > >
    > > > I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
    > > >
    > > > Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
    > > >
    > > > Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

    > > I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
    > > cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
    > > Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

    > Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
    > rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
    > too much.

    Here's a bunch of Retro for you for those who were unaware that this
    site exists

    It is well worth a looksee, lotsa pix of Il Campionissimo, the Molteni
    Sausage Man (7 wins in MSR), Ceccho, PouPou, etc., etc. and even a
    more recent one of Il Diabolo soloing in almost a minute clear in 1991

    But the Turchhino is paved these days and not the challenge it used to
    be and I don't think there's a prime there anymore

    http://www.milansanremo.co.uk/

    --

  7. John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

    > On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
    > >several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
    > >Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
    > >with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

    > It wasn't Fondriest.
    >
    > JT

    Musta been Argentin then?

    I thought it was Fondriest though

    --
    Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
    Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres
    http://www.ingridbetancourt-idf.com/base/
    Free Ernst Zundel http://www.zundelsite.org/gallery/donations/index.html
    Free David Irving http://www.petitiononline.com/DavidI/petition.html

  8. Joe King

    Joe King Guest

    http://www.milansanremo.co.uk/1992result.htm
    Fondriest was 24th

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
    >> >several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
    >> >Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
    >> >with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

    >> It wasn't Fondriest.
    >>
    >> JT

    > Musta been Argentin then?
    >
    > I thought it was Fondriest though
    >
    > --
    > Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
    > Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres
    > http://www.ingridbetancourt-idf.com/base/
    > Free Ernst Zundel http://www.zundelsite.org/gallery/donations/index.html
    > Free David Irving http://www.petitiononline.com/DavidI/petition.html

  9. Argentin