How fast are they going?

Hell and High Water

Guest
Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.

I was wondering just how fast these guys go?

Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.

Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

Thanks so much,

-Bob

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
>
> I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
>
> Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
>
> Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

Dwayne wrote:
> Hell and High Water wrote:
> > Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
> >
> > I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
> >
> > Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
> >
> > Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

> I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
> cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
> Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
too much.

"RicodJour" <[email protected]> writes:

> > Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

> Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
> rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
> too much.

You have to be very careful on those bends on the descent into San
Remo as they are very tricky and if you mess up you end up in the
plastic roofed greenhouses down below

That's why a lead of even a few seconds over the top is a real morale
booster as you can usually descend faster solo than in a group and
it's only about a klick and a half from the bottom of the descent to
the finish

I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

Game over Rizzio!!!!!!

--
Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres

On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
>several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
>Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
>with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

It wasn't Fondriest.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"RicodJour" <[email protected]> writes:

> Dwayne wrote:
> > Hell and High Water wrote:
> > > Was watching OLN yesterday. I believe it was the Milan-San Remo.
> > >
> > > I was wondering just how fast these guys go?
> > >
> > > Even going up the hill, they really looked like they were moving.
> > >
> > > Any info? Maybe even in MPH? Uphill? Downhill? Flats??

> > I read on some website (sorry I forgot which; must have been
> > cyclingnews, velonews or pezcyclingnews) that the leaders climbed the
> > Poggio @ 30 km/h, or about 18.6 mi/h.

> Which is about as fast as I'd run down it...until I fell and started
> rolling. Then I'd probably drop to ~12 mph as long as I didn't bounce
> too much.

Here's a bunch of Retro for you for those who were unaware that this
site exists

It is well worth a looksee, lotsa pix of Il Campionissimo, the Molteni
Sausage Man (7 wins in MSR), Ceccho, PouPou, etc., etc. and even a
more recent one of Il Diabolo soloing in almost a minute clear in 1991

But the Turchhino is paved these days and not the challenge it used to
be and I don't think there's a prime there anymore

http://www.milansanremo.co.uk/

--

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:

> On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
> >several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
> >Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
> >with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

> It wasn't Fondriest.
>
> JT

Musta been Argentin then?

I thought it was Fondriest though

--
Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres
http://www.ingridbetancourt-idf.com/base/
Free Ernst Zundel http://www.zundelsite.org/gallery/donations/index.html
Free David Irving http://www.petitiononline.com/DavidI/petition.html

http://www.milansanremo.co.uk/1992result.htm
Fondriest was 24th

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2006 05:39:38 +0100, Davey Crockett
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I Remember Kelly going up the Poggio in 53/14 to forge an advantage
>> >several years ago and after a kamikaze descent, when poor old
>> >Fondriest, who thought he had it won, looked back to check his advantage
>> >with 800 meters to go, he saw Kelly on his wheel

>> It wasn't Fondriest.
>>
>> JT

> Musta been Argentin then?
>
> I thought it was Fondriest though
>
> --
> Le Vent à Dos, Davey Crockett - Actively Opposing Thought Crime
> Libérez Ingrid Betancourt, Clara Rojas et les autres
> http://www.ingridbetancourt-idf.com/base/
> Free Ernst Zundel http://www.zundelsite.org/gallery/donations/index.html
> Free David Irving http://www.petitiononline.com/DavidI/petition.html

Argentin