How fast do i need to ride 10 miles to and from work daily?

integrity101

Feb 17, 2016
Say you have to commute daily to and from work around 10 miles away and you have a well maintained bike, how fast to avoid wearing yourself out at work and still arrive on time? I'm talking about a healthy person of average build but never goes to the gym.

That's really up to the person, too many variables. Also depends on what kind of elevation you have to deal with. I would say google map the route and see what it says for bike travel time. Then on your day off make the trek yourself and see how long it takes you and how tired you are.
You'll never be late for work as long as you know how long it's going to take YOU.

If you allow yourself an hour, chances are you'll be there a few minutes early. ;)

Almost any healthy adult can ride at 10 mph without too much strain.

That 10 miles is almost the same distance from our home to my office in Metro Manila's business district, in the city of Makati. With the car, my normal travel is 2 hours whether in the morning or evening, that is without heavy traffic. I have not experienced commuting with a bike yet but I think it is definitely faster, maybe 1 hour since there is not much steep inclines, most of the roads are flat. So how fast would I go with that? .

Back in thew 70s all I had was a 10 speed and I gave myself one hour to get to work. I didn't know the distance but I always got there on time. As I improve my fitness (didn't know I was doing that either) it would take me 45 minutes to get to work, than about 35 minutes. I finally got a mile counter, and found out my distance was only 7 miles. So go for it on a weekend and find out for sure. Good luck.

Say you have to commute daily to and from work around 10 miles away and you have a well maintained bike, how fast to avoid wearing yourself out at work and still arrive on time? I'm talking about a healthy person of average build but never goes to the gym.

There are many variables as others have posted. One suggested using Google maps. Use the 'cyclist' icon. Usually it gives 2-3 options. Use the one w/t least amount of climbing even if it's a mile or so longer. That's just for the ROUTE.

In having no idea of your experience as a cyclist I'll offer that deciding to commute by bike is like a bicycle wheel. Simple emough. Tire, tube, spokes, hub...yeah, I got this. Until you try to BUILD one.

Others will chime in regarding gear, accessories, maintenance, etc. I'll offer the one thing I learned VERY early on: NEVER cycle in any part of your work clothing or work in any part of your cycling clothing. Understand that commuting isn't like jumping on and taking a spin on your local MUP. It's MUCH more involved. But, SO worth it. Obey traffic laws, keep your head on a swivel and have fun. Commuting by bike is the BEST. Good luck! :)

For 10 miles I'd be looking at between 45 mins and an hour depending on a few deciding factors that you need to throw in there. 10mph isn't too strenuous but depending on how fit and experienced you are, coupled of course with traffic and the route you take, 10mph isn't always possible.