How fast do you need to go for a social ride at York Show?

Richard Corfield

Guest
Went out with a GPS speedo the other night, and down-rated my cycle
speedo by a few percent as a result. I'm not sure if the GPS is a little
pessimistic, especially if it loses its signal. It saw a moving average
of 10mph on varied hillyness. I wasn't pushing it by any means, and I
was also exploring and finding new routes, but I'm sure I used to cycle
somewhat faster.

Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
York? I remember hearing that the year before they went quite fast. Last
year I didn't take part in any of the rides.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/

Richard Corfield wrote:

> Went out with a GPS speedo the other night, and down-rated my cycle
> speedo by a few percent as a result. I'm not sure if the GPS is a little
> pessimistic, especially if it loses its signal. It saw a moving average
> of 10mph on varied hillyness. I wasn't pushing it by any means, and I
> was also exploring and finding new routes, but I'm sure I used to cycle
> somewhat faster.
>
> Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
> York? I remember hearing that the year before they went quite fast. Last
> year I didn't take part in any of the rides.

The CTC Saturday "A" ride here averages 12-13mph. The "B" ride is quite
a lot slower.

The local road club average nearly 20mph, touching 28mph on the flat,
but they're nuts.

Richard Corfield wrote:
> Went out with a GPS speedo the other night, and down-rated my cycle
> speedo by a few percent as a result. I'm not sure if the GPS is a little
> pessimistic, especially if it loses its signal. It saw a moving average
> of 10mph on varied hillyness. I wasn't pushing it by any means, and I
> was also exploring and finding new routes, but I'm sure I used to cycle
> somewhat faster.

I'd trust your cycle speedo over the GPS especially if it has been calibrated
with a roll out

Tony

On 2004-06-05, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd trust your cycle speedo over the GPS especially if it has been calibrated
> with a roll out

I'd started with a roll-out, then did a measured 10 miles and checked
measured distance against the map, and applied a correction factor. I'd
not rechecked it though. Perhaps I ought to. The GPS is meant to be
very accurate, assuming steady state. The software seems to do some
averaging. If you take a sharp turn, your GPS track continues in its old
direction for a second or so. This made direct comparison quite difficult.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street,
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.

In news:[email protected],
Richard Corfield <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
> Went out with a GPS speedo the other night, and down-rated my cycle
> speedo by a few percent as a result. I'm not sure if the GPS is a
> little pessimistic, especially if it loses its signal. It saw a
> moving average of 10mph on varied hillyness. I wasn't pushing it by
> any means, and I was also exploring and finding new routes, but I'm
> sure I used to cycle somewhat faster.
>
> Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
> York? I remember hearing that the year before they went quite fast.
> Last year I didn't take part in any of the rides.
>
> - Richard

Anything less than 24.7 mph average over 73.67 miles marks you out as a
wimp who must not even contemplate sitting in the gloriouis saddle of
imblegentiousness, and should seriously contemplate self-mutilation of some
form, preferably involving a turnip.
--
Morton Burner

Alternative Bunsen

On 2004-06-06, Morton Burner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anything less than 24.7 mph average over 73.67 miles marks you out as a
> wimp who must not even contemplate sitting in the gloriouis saddle of
> imblegentiousness, and should seriously contemplate self-mutilation of some
> form, preferably involving a turnip.

Morrisons to turnips - would that be the purple veriety or the spotted
pink ones?

- Richard ;-)

--

Richard Corfield wrote:

> I'd started with a roll-out, then did a measured 10 miles and checked
> measured distance against the map, and applied a correction factor. I'd
> not rechecked it though. Perhaps I ought to. The GPS is meant to be
> very accurate, assuming steady state. The software seems to do some
> averaging. If you take a sharp turn, your GPS track continues in its old
> direction for a second or so. This made direct comparison quite difficult.

You'd have trouble measuring a map to few percent. The GPS does positional
accuracy reasonably well these days but speed and distance have various
errors. Distance as you noticed because it only logs position at regular
intervals so approximates the curved path as straight lines and speed because
either it does inaccurate distance over time or doppler on the satellite
signal, both of which have errors.

Tony

In news:[email protected],
Richard Corfield <[email protected]> sed
> On 2004-06-06, Morton Burner <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Anything less than 24.7 mph average over 73.67 miles marks you out
>> as a wimp who must not even contemplate sitting in the gloriouis
>> saddle of imblegentiousness, and should seriously contemplate
>> self-mutilation of some form, preferably involving a turnip.

> Morrisons to turnips - would that be the purple veriety or the spotted
> pink ones?
>
> - Richard ;-)

Purple on the way in, spotted pink on the way out.
--
Morton Burner

Alternative Bunsen

Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote:

: Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
: York? I remember hearing that the year before they went quite fast. Last
: year I didn't take part in any of the rides.

To answer the question: no, you'll be fine.

Don't go on the 'Fast' ride, or the A one. They are indeed fastish. Their
are shorter/slower riders are well. Have a word at the info tent the night
before or with the ride leader on the morning.

If you can do 10mph on your own and feel you can go faster you should be
ok for a group ride at 12mph and there's a couple of suitable rides at
the rally next year.

I won't be there for the first time in a few years, but since that's because
I'm off to the alps, it doesn't seem too much of a shame!

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Richard Corfield wrote:
> Went out with a GPS speedo the other night, and down-rated my cycle
> speedo by a few percent as a result. I'm not sure if the GPS is a
> little pessimistic, especially if it loses its signal. It saw a
> moving average of 10mph on varied hillyness. I wasn't pushing it by
> any means, and I was also exploring and finding new routes, but I'm
> sure I used to cycle somewhat faster.
>
> Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
> York? I remember hearing that the year before they went quite fast.
> Last year I didn't take part in any of the rides.
>
> - Richard

I am considering doing my own thing, none of the rides appeal to me at the
show, partly as I want to go for a 70 miler and partly as I regularly ride
some of the roads around York. Thus I am thinking about a ride out to the
coast for some sea air.

MSeries wrote:

> Richard Corfield wrote:

> > Problem is, does a paltry 10mph disqualify me from the social rides at
> > York?

> I am considering doing my own thing, none of the rides appeal to me at the
> show, partly as I want to go for a 70 miler and partly as I regularly ride
> some of the roads around York. Thus I am thinking about a ride out to the
> coast for some sea air.

Ditto. the rides don't really appeal.
I'm hopefully off to see some friends at a pub in Rawlcliffe near Goole
on the Saturday and to stay at the Rally on Sunday.
I'll be riding back to Hampshire with my daughter on Mon/Tues.

John B

On 2004-06-06, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ditto. the rides don't really appeal.
> I'm hopefully off to see some friends at a pub in Rawlcliffe near Goole
> on the Saturday and to stay at the Rally on Sunday.
> I'll be riding back to Hampshire with my daughter on Mon/Tues.

We'll probably see how we feel when we get there. The evening social
sounded interesting to me, as we're likely to be arriving on Saturday
not Friday, and we'll be cycling there with tent from Harrogate. I must
book for this, though we also have some friends in York if camping fails.

- Richard

--

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

: I am considering doing my own thing, none of the rides appeal to me at the
: show, partly as I want to go for a 70 miler and partly as I regularly ride
: some of the roads around York. Thus I am thinking about a ride out to the
: coast for some sea air.

Ah, cyclists, social to the last. Unless you know a shorter route to the sea
from York than I do though you'll be getting more than 70 miles in if you want
to get your feet wet.

Arthur

On 2004-06-07, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ah, cyclists, social to the last. Unless you know a shorter route to the sea
> from York than I do though you'll be getting more than 70 miles in if you want
> to get your feet wet.

Isn't there an annual ride to the sea coming up later in the year?
Whetherby to Whitby or something?

- Richard

--

Richard Corfield wrote:
> On 2004-06-07, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, cyclists, social to the last. Unless you know a shorter route to
>> the sea from York than I do though you'll be getting more than 70
>> miles in if you want to get your feet wet.

> Isn't there an annual ride to the sea coming up later in the year?
> Whetherby to Whitby or something?
>
> - Richard

Wetherby to Filey June 20th. I met a bloke on Sunday near Scammonden Dam who
said he was doing it. I think he said two weeks time.

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I am considering doing my own thing, none of the rides appeal to me
>> at the show, partly as I want to go for a 70 miler and partly as I
>> regularly ride some of the roads around York. Thus I am thinking
>> about a ride out to the coast for some sea air.

> Ah, cyclists, social to the last. Unless you know a shorter route to
> the sea from York than I do though you'll be getting more than 70
> miles in if you want to get your feet wet.
>
> Arthur

More than 70 miles is even better. I want to pile the miles in this summer,
I'm going to miss the weekend coming as I am going to some motorcycle
racing. Not sure I'll get my feet wet but I may have some fish & chips and
candy floss in Brid. How far do you reckon then Arthur ? That part of
Yorkshire is (even more) alien to me than some of West Yorkshire.

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

: More than 70 miles is even better. I want to pile the miles in this summer,
: I'm going to miss the weekend coming as I am going to some motorcycle
: racing. Not sure I'll get my feet wet but I may have some fish & chips and
: candy floss in Brid. How far do you reckon then Arthur ? That part of
: Yorkshire is (even more) alien to me than some of West Yorkshire.

York -> Flanborough Head via a reasonable route is 108 miles.

Brid a bit less but still near the ton.

Arthur

--

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> More than 70 miles is even better. I want to pile the miles in this
>> summer, I'm going to miss the weekend coming as I am going to some
>> motorcycle racing. Not sure I'll get my feet wet but I may have some
>> fish & chips and candy floss in Brid. How far do you reckon then
>> Arthur ? That part of Yorkshire is (even more) alien to me than some
>> of West Yorkshire.

> York -> Flanborough Head via a reasonable route is 108 miles.
>
> Brid a bit less but still near the ton.
>
> Arthur

That'll do nicely. I will probably wake at about 5am in my tent so I'll get
a good early start.