How fast do you ride on flat ground?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jsull14, Apr 16, 2006.

1. topcat

topcat New Member

lmao chill out mate, am sure ur amazing urself ;) :rolleyes:

pretty sad how you know that btw :p

2. TeleVizedPayne

TeleVizedPayne New Member

I'm getting to be a middle-aged man. I'm happy to average 17 mph. I'm not flaming anybody. Just calling BS. It's like when your sitting around telling stories and somebody calls your story. Then you argue on whether or not your telling the truth. You throw peanuts at him, have a laugh and see who gets caught winding up and telling the next whopper!

I've seen the same thing with fishermen.:D

3. K50

K50 New Member

As fast as I bloody can! Riding fast on flats is easy. Just remember, "he who is master of the hills, is also master of the flats". That's my philosophy anyways. On my mountain bike I can muster a 27km/hour average on hilly terrain for 1.5-2 hours, and probably ~30-32km/h on flat terrain. I never really try that, though, because it's ineffective training. And that's on a mountain bike, so it's even more irrelevant. I just love flying up hills though past guys that shave their legs on road bikes, lol.

4. whoawhoa

whoawhoa New Member

Why do you think it's not effective training?

5. K50

K50 New Member

If you put in a solid effort on flat terrain for say two hours, it's a good way to work on your Muscular Endurance. But that's only like once a week...But for newbies who think you should ride hard all the time, it's a bad plan. ME workouts aren't until later in the season anyways (well I haven't started mine yet anyways...probably not for another 3 or so weeks, I'm sticking with the man Friel)

6. TeleVizedPayne

TeleVizedPayne New Member

I happen to ride where there are not many hills. I am able to make up for some of that with the wind I ride in all of the time.

That being said, you can improve you fitness and get faster by working on tempo rides and intervals. I am pretty new to road riding. I've been seriously doing it now for about 9 months. I was riding farther and farther but not really getting any faster.

I've been doing interval and tempo work and have picked up my speed enough to say that it has definately made a difference in what I can do. Don't judge yourself by what others are doing right now as a newbie. You'll get discouraged. There are some people who can just flat out blaze down the road. Pick a course that has as few of stops as possible, goes several directions into the wind and use it to gauge your progress with. See if you can use it to measure if you are getting faster and do your intervals on it.

I have a 18.25 mile route that I have knocked alot of time off and it makes me understand and see that I am getting better and all of this effort is paying off.

Look at this link for interval information:

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/interval.htm

7. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

How good is an 18.2 mph avg over a 50-mile route of rolling hills and 2 big climbs?

8. jsull14

jsull14 New Member

I did 52 miles on Saturday, mostly flat and now I like spinning in the middle ring on flats. I was doing a steady 22mph (for a few minutes anyway :)) without spinning out the gear. I have never used the larger gears in the middle ring before. I would just go to the big ring if I was halfway down the cassette.

9. musher

musher New Member

Last week i did a TT test 10.2 miles ,28.3 MPH ,HR 163Power above 320.:)

10. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

Yep, pretty much impossible to hold 31 for very long without being in a paceline or one heckuva tailwind.

I ride a fairly flat 2mile loop sometimes to gauge my abilities. I typically in one hour can average about 20mph, although I am not maxing out. There's a short but steep hill involved that always brings me back down a bit on speed. I suppose on a perfectly flat course with little wind I could hold about a 24mph avg over one hour? (riding solo)

I've done a few races, but really can't afford to spend so much money, getting ready for them, traveling, etc. So I do charity/group rides around my area. I'm a pretty strong rider, typically finish well ahead of most riders. I did a semi-hilly Metric century with about a 18.9 average speed. Another one I did I averaged 20mph, again riding mostly solo. (Which sucked because in pacelines I was easily hitting 27mph). Now the really hilly Century I did last year? I averaged maybe 17mph.

11. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

Pretty good if you ask me. If you did that solo then it's very good.

If you are on a group ride or event and finish ahead of most everyone else...what does it matter what your avg spd was? Fast is fast.

"You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, the moment you touch perfect speed. And that isn't flying a thousand miles an
    hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have limits. Perfect
    speed, my son, is being there."

12. K50

K50 New Member

wow man that's deep. lol. where did you come up with that? Sounds like the Church of Bicycle Christ. hehe sweet, man.

13. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

I was with another cyclist. A lot of the time we rode side-by-side but he was the stronger cyclist so I ended up sucking wheel for a good portion of the ride :p.

14. Olasnah

Olasnah New Member

It's from a book called "Johnathan Livingston Seagull", by Richard Bach. One helluva book, the whole thing is 'deep'.

15. K50

K50 New Member

Dude, I have that book!!! It is deep. It's a great book man. That and Psycho- cybernetics. Those two books saved my life. High five to you! hehe

16. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Well I reckon I could do it at 32.1mph! :p