How fast/far can ordinary mortals go?

Daniel Auger

Guest
In a few weeks time, I am taking part in the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust sponsored cycle.
The idea is to cycle to as many historic churches as possible between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

There are several of us doing this ranging in age from 18 to just short of sixty. Most of
those taking part normally use their bikes for travelling around town and little else, and the
modal number of gears is likely to be three. There are few hills in Cambridgeshire, but the
wind can be nasty.

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but any ideas how far/fast we'll be
able to go?

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

Daniel Auger wrote:

> There are several of us doing this ranging in age from 18 to just short of sixty. Most of those
> taking part normally use their bikes for travelling around town and little else, and the modal
> number of gears is likely to be three. There are few hills in Cambridgeshire, but the wind can
> be nasty.
>
> I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but any ideas how far/fast we'll be
> able to go?

You should be able to keep up a good 10 mph average Probably better, but that will allow for some
rests, faffs etc. Most people can do 50 miles if they have to if they're not couch potatoes, though
they might want whoever's idea it was to be horribly tortured the next day!

So given you've got 8 hours, I'd say that ultimate distance is more your worry than speed. And it's
a "travelling salesman" problem to optimise a route to visit as many as possible with a set
distance. You'll also be best off if you've got several options for cutting short or lengthening the
route as it progresses.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Daniel Auger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> In a few weeks time, I am taking part in the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust sponsored
> cycle. The idea is to cycle to as many historic churches as possible between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
>
> There are several of us doing this ranging in age from 18 to just short of sixty. Most of those
> taking part normally use their bikes for travelling around town and little else, and the modal
> number of gears is likely to be three. There are few hills in Cambridgeshire, but the wind can
> be nasty.
>
> I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but any ideas how far/fast we'll be
> able to go?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Top whack 100-105 miles as I understand you have to stop at each church too, they do a similar thing
over this part of the world, Bucks, and the helpful tea-ladies slow you down!

"Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Top whack 100-105 miles as I understand you have to stop at each church
too,
> they do a similar thing over this part of the world, Bucks, and the
helpful
> tea-ladies slow you down!

It must be widespread -- there is something similar in Northants -- looks a nice ride but any
money collected goes to the church to help them spread misinformation so they will have to do
without my efforts.

Tony W wrote:

> "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Top whack 100-105 miles as I understand you have to stop at each church
> too,
> > they do a similar thing over this part of the world, Bucks, and the
> helpful
> > tea-ladies slow you down!
>
> It must be widespread -- there is something similar in Northants -- looks a nice ride but any
> money collected goes to the church to help them spread misinformation so they will have to do
> without my efforts.

I think its a national thing. I rode it a couple of years ago wit my daughter (a bell-ringer) but
the hassle I received for wanting to donate the cash raised to help restore the local church's bells
instead was unbelievable.

John B

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Top whack 100-105 miles as I understand you have to stop at each church
> too,
> > they do a similar thing over this part of the world, Bucks, and the
> helpful
> > tea-ladies slow you down!
>
> It must be widespread -- there is something similar in Northants -- looks
> nice ride but any money collected goes to the church to help them spread misinformation so they
> will have to do without my efforts.

Couldn't agree more!

Daniel Auger <[email protected]> writed in
news:p[email protected]:

> In a few weeks time, I am taking part in the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust sponsored
> cycle. The idea is to cycle to as many historic churches as possible between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
>
> There are several of us doing this ranging in age from 18 to just short of sixty. Most of those
> taking part normally use their bikes for travelling around town and little else, and the modal
> number of gears is likely to be three. There are few hills in Cambridgeshire, but the wind can
> be nasty.
>
> I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but any ideas how far/fast we'll be
> able to go?

Ah happy memories!

I used to do this regularly in Leicestershire - the best bit was planning the ride! I used to manage
about 65 miles in the day, probably 40 churches. I never did the LEicester city centre churches -
too much hassle with the bike. Don't forget that at each church you need to get off yer bike, be
nice to the little old ladies, refuse yet another cake and cup of tea, sign in, retreive your bike
and be off again - it all takes time, particularly if you don't want to be rude. You sometimes get
tangled up in weddings, which can be amusing / annoying / embarassing (delete as appropriate). Make
sure you have a good upto date list of open churches!

Mike Leicester

> I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but any ideas how far/fast we'll be
> able to go?

Four times as far as you could walk is a good assumption. If you walk further than you are used to,
you could seriously damage your feet, with anything from blisters to stress fractures, but cycling
is less harmful than that, although you might get a bit saddle sore.

You can always stop to recover, Five minutes in every hour is one rule for marching soldiers, every
tea shop is a possible rule for cyclists. That will cut into your average speed, but do it right and
you can go on almost for ever

However, having the saddle the wrong height can produce problems. Too high, and you rock from side
to side, hence the saddle soreness; too low, and you could hurt your knees, although it might take a
few days to do that.

Change your hand position on the handlebars every so often, so you are not leaning on your hands in
the same position all day.

Jeremy Parker