How Fast Have You Gone?

Originally posted by Duckwah
I haven't gone out and tried to set any new speed records on the new bike yet but on my MTB a few years ago i used to ride through a really scary big dipper that i did daily at 80-90km/h.<br /><br />you had to pull out into traffic, accelerate down the hill and then pedal like crazy to get as far up the other side before hitting the granny ring and churning out. Might go back there and try it on the roadie plus get some photos.<br /><br />the other one i need to try again is a hill near my parents place, dead straight for about 1km and very very steep, nice quiet road so again i might go do it on a sunday morning and get some photos. <br /><br />If i survive i'll post the results soon!
My helmet off to you I can't handle pulling into traffic at all.

My best is 67kph on my current old bike. I'm to scared that the frame will wait for me to be doing these speeds before breaking. A new bike on the way and I'll try to improve my top speed. It's such a rush overtaking a car in a 60kph speed zone.

I'm amazed at the speeds that some of you are all reaching.

I dont have a speedo anymore....i should probably get one! I remember as an U/14 there was a sprint finish downhill in a race and on a 52x18 I hit 43mph. (69km). I remember that was my record at the time. Madness!
I remember listening to the Eurosport commentary and David Duffield was asking Sean Kelly how fast he had gone and Sean his cool Tipperary accect was there " Well emmm I remember one occasion where myself and Vanderarden were decending the side of a mountain and we were doing 127 kilometers per hours" Duffield was goin mental! Its some going though.....Lunatics!

I have a serious drop on my usual saturday morning ride. 93km/h is the fastest I have managed. The "cipo tuck" is the way to get some speed. Hands together on the top of the bars **** off the seat and head slightly over the bars and let the baby run. My fastest on the flat is 53km/h in a healthy tailwind with a race winning leadout from my teammate.

I'm not sure, but coming down from the "Cat and Fiddle" on the Macclesfield to Buxton Road I got my knee down on a few corners.

I got followed down by a couple of Hells Angels so I had an incentive. Turned out they just wanted to know who was daft enough to lean a peddle bike that far over when not wearing leather!

Down hill in Franklin Tennessee. Beautiful riding area with perfect roads.

I hit 53.2 mph(85 kph), pulling up cos I saw a deer at the bottom of the hill. I only hit the pedals hard 5 -6 times before I saw the deer and stopped pedalling. The deer stood stock still as I came past screaming.

Its a great hill. I'd love to give it another go, but alas, I am now in England and the riding is ...not so fine.: :eek:

112km/h down Tregarthen Road (Ashton Hill) in Ashton, South Australia. There's two hills so if you get your speed up down the first one, you don't need to pedal up the 2nd. That was on my Pinarello Sestriere with Campy Shamal wheels. 53x12 & had more in the legs than top end gears available.

If only I could get more speed going UP the hills. Out of my group of cycling friends, none of them can get anywhere near me on a descent or on the flat but on a long sustained climb, I'm the slowest of them all! But on a short & steep climb, I'm quicker. Go figure.

113km/hr while about 50ft off the back of my friends geo tracker going down a 2km hill, grade 9%. route 322 in marion, ct, usa. it was a straight shot the road.
speed limit was 70km! my gear was a 53x12, spinning 200rpms.
it was so much fun.

Originally posted by velomanct
113km/hr while about 50ft off the back of my friends geo tracker going down a 2km hill, grade 9%. route 322 in marion, ct, usa. it was a straight shot the road.
speed limit was 70km! my gear was a 53x12, spinning 200rpms.
it was so much fun.

You almost had me, until I read your rpm & gear......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
You almost had me, until I read your rpm & gear......

Memph

Not saying that I actually BELIEVE velomanct went that fast, but a quick check of the math does match up with his claim. This RPM and gear does translate into the speed he quotes. Now, having the presence of mind to check and note speed and cadence in the process....

Originally posted by rollers
Not saying that I actually BELIEVE velomanct went that fast, but a quick check of the math does match up with his claim. This RPM and gear does translate into the speed he quotes. Now, having the presence of mind to check and note speed and cadence in the process....

it is true, believe me. i noted my speed of 70mph(113kph) at the time i hit that speed. i did the calculations after the ride.
i am going for 80mph or 130km/hr as soon as i can find somebody to pace me. i bought a 56 tooth big ring and have an 11-13 cassette. so 200rpms in a 56x11 is 130/km. i also need the conditions to be right, such as very little wind(when i did 113km/hr there was a 15mph crosswind, it got a little sketchy.) and i want to wait untill the weather is warmer. there are also pavement seals(bumps) every 100ft which tend to throw me off when i am pedaling 200rpms.

yes i may be crazy, but im 18, so it fits

it is true, believe me. i noted my speed of 70mph(113kph) at the time i hit that speed. i did the calculations after the ride.
i am going for 80mph or 130km/hr as soon as i can find somebody to pace me. i bought a 56 tooth big ring and have an 11-13 cassette. so 200rpms in a 56x11 is 130/km. i also need the conditions to be right, such as very little wind(when i did 113km/hr there was a 15mph crosswind, it got a little sketchy.) and i want to wait untill the weather is warmer. there are also pavement seals(bumps) every 100ft which tend to throw me off when i am pedaling 200rpms.

yes i may be crazy, but im 18, so it fits

How many ppl have actually pedalled @ 200rpm? This is what I find hard to swallow. This is some fishing story.......

Memph

How many ppl have actually pedalled @ 200rpm? This is what I find hard to swallow. This is some fishing story.......

Memph

are you joking?
there are many many people who can do well over 200rpms. especially track racers. my max is 242rpms on my trainer, light resistence.
i am not here to tell fishing stories, i am not lying.

are you joking?
there are many many people who can do well over 200rpms. especially track racers. my max is 242rpms on my trainer, light resistence.

That is unbelievably fast.

are you joking?

I have no way to prove you wrong. Except the fact that 200rpm is fast, even for short time period.

Speaking of track racers. I meet, rode with (a few times) and received helpful hints from 1 of Canada's best. Even Curt did not spin that fast.

If you truly did then you should be pro. Still have my doubts.....

Memph

I have no way to prove you wrong. Except the fact that 200rpm is fast, even for short time period.

Speaking of track racers. I meet, rode with (a few times) and received helpful hints from 1 of Canada's best. Even Curt did not spin that fast.

If you truly did then you should be pro. Still have my doubts.....

Memph

ok. sorry about all this. you have a right to doubt what i say. maybe i'm just underrating myself.

ok. sorry about all this. you have a right to doubt what i say. maybe i'm just underrating myself.

I shall drop this now. Just also do not see the point of pedalling that fast. Unless you are a JR with a gear restriction. I have never needed to spin that fast, over 200rpm. Train at 120-130 & relax at slightly over 100. But if you did accomplish this, great......

Memph

Let's see, it was a downhill sprint in a junior crit. Long sweeping right hand bend that was insanly steep. I was in a 52-14 and way past pedaling. I glanced at my Polar halfway down and it said 48mph, but I think we sped up a little. Suicide tucking (hands by the stem, face by the bars, butt just a little off the saddle) at 50mph (I think that's about 80K) with 150 other juniors was the scariest thing I have ever done. Especially beacuse I had crashed on said decent on an earlier lap. The euros can really wind up the end of a race. Oh yea, it was raining.

By myself, I hit 62 mph (about 100K if I'm not mistaken) trying to bridge a gap downhill in a road race. It was a cat 3 race but I was still running jr gears so I was suicide tucking again (hmmmm, I did crash the next day.....)

Originally posted by xcgeek
Let's see, it was a downhill sprint in a junior crit. Long sweeping right hand bend that was insanly steep. I was in a 52-14 and way past pedaling. I glanced at my Polar halfway down and it said 48mph, but I think we sped up a little. Suicide tucking (hands by the stem, face by the bars, butt just a little off the saddle) at 50mph (I think that's about 80K) with 150 other juniors was the scariest thing I have ever done. Especially beacuse I had crashed on said decent on an earlier lap. The euros can really wind up the end of a race. Oh yea, it was raining.

By myself, I hit 62 mph (about 100K if I'm not mistaken) trying to bridge a gap downhill in a road race. It was a cat 3 race but I was still running jr gears so I was suicide tucking again (hmmmm, I did crash the next day.....)

you must be talking about the crit course at labitibi. although i didnt think the dowhill was insanely steep.