How Fast Have You Gone?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by drewjc, Jun 10, 2002.

1. xcgeek

xcgeek New Member

Ok, not Insanly steep, but steep enough. I had a small hairline fracture in my arm from earlier on in the race (two frogs piled in front of me and I fliped pretty hard). Were U there? What a freaking awesome race! Especially the party at the end.

2. velomanct

velomanct New Member

i narrowly escaped many crashes, never went down. it was cool to race with some top juniors. i had 2 flats which lead to me missing the time cut on the 6th day. what team were you on?
    i was on northeast regional.

3. xcgeek

xcgeek New Member

Yea, sounds a lot like my race.
    1st day- Crashed hard on the decent in the crit

2nd day- Jap guy put his rear mech into my front wheel, 30K in. I chased for the rest of the stage (a NE guy was in my group, real strong fella on a black c-dale- really good guy- we were the only ones pulling)

5th day-Flatted again, SOAB.....

6th day-Flatted and rode in solo, missed the time cut...

7th day- errrrr, slept, tried to pick up chicks

8th day- uh, I don't remember, is that a bad thing? Tell the rental car company that I'm sorry.

I raced for the Midwest/Salsa team. We were all rookies and had a tough time. It sucked to go all that way and not finish. Next year..... I'm going to be riding angry and very good things happen when I ride angry. Did you guys have the black and white jerseys?

4. velomanct

velomanct New Member

that was me on the black cdale. lol. yeh i remember you. i was mad because of the flat tire i got that day(i knew my chances of doing OKAY vanished right there), so i pushed hard, didnt want to miss the time cut. my real team is NECSA and i wear the white and black jerseys. but for labitibi, i was put on north east regional(the 2nd rate team, NECSA was better). that was a long day, i remember the endless straight roads, something like 80km of chasing.
    on the longest road stage day, when it rained, lightning, and nasty brutal cross winds. i got a pinch flat from hitting a pothole i couldnt see. i got a quick wheel change from mavic. i chased like hell, but my legs were so so so shot and cross wind was awful and the pack was motoring. i couldnt even draft the caravan because no one let me stay in there draft(on mean, come on people! give a guy a break and let him catch back to the pack) that was the second time i was in that situation. so i was done, i just plodded along from then untill i joined some other guys and we did a tempo pace(all i could do) on the loooooong ride home. it hurt so much, i couldnt pull for more than 15secs at 24mph. of course we didnt make the time cut. i could have gotten in the sag wagon when i got dropped by the pack, but i wanted to go down fighting, lol.
    labitibi left me with some memories and some very very sore legs. took me a month to recover i think.
    i wont be there next year, 2003 was my last junior year.
    hope you have better luck next year
    rich

5. xcgeek

xcgeek New Member

One guy on our team broke his Colnago in half when he hit the back of some Belgian (literally, his back cause he was lying on the ground) buckled the suker right beneath the headtube.

I was shot easily until October. There is a labor day race series here in St. Louis called Gateway cup. I still felt like sh*t then. I can't imagine doing a month of that. I hear this year was the wetest ever....

6. velomanct

velomanct New Member

yeh, i did some serious damage to my leg muscles. i felt a lingering deep pain, even in september. yeh the rain sucked

7. steven2000ad

steven2000ad New Member

Well it looks as though i've came to the right place. The insanity of huge speeds on a bike is the most exillerating adrenallin rush that anyone can feel first hand.
    Some of the speeds mentioned are a bit hard to believe ,but i guess it all comes down to - how one can be so suicidal?
    I reckon 80 kms is pretty sleek but after this your pushing your luck into the "twilight zone" of a near death experience should anything go wrong. To stop at a speed beyond this, taking into consideration the weight ratio, would require a huge stopping distance to the nearest intensive care department.
    If one should try anything over the 80 km's an hour speed you should consider an arranged course of adventure carefully planned by isolating the road (with an authorities permission) from any mishap and also checking the descent or what ever on foot making careful inspection of the road surface and become familiar with its composition. Anything less than this and your speeding to an early grave.
    Please take good care of yourself and hopefully a new land speed record can be achieved with strict safety planning to prevent a catastrophe.
    I cant boast about the speed i've done but it should be done with good planning and a cordoned of road for everybody's safety.

Good luck it sure must be working in your favor for now,,,,,,, but for how long?...........only time will tell!

Here lies the fastest bike rider on earth!
    Had no time to stop!
    Died on the slopes
    of
    EVEREST
    Frozen in Time!
    R.I.P
    R.I.P bicycles the brand that killed our Johnny!
    Born 0-km"s Died (not stated)
    Cyclocomputer failed at point of
    DEATH!

This will be entered here some time to follow....
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

L.O.L.

8. t0mm0r

t0mm0r New Member

fastest speed i gone was in south dakata down a descent on a crappy trek 1000. was in its top gear goin about 52 leading my group and left them in the dust... they were a bunch of noobs :)

9. t0mm0r

t0mm0r New Member

doing a trip in kentucky/tennesee this year... hopin for some nice appalation decents :) can't wait

10. crystal_tears_

crystal_tears_ New Member

Managed 45.5 mph on my Giant CFR 1 in Birmingham, England a few years ago. Was spinning out a 52 x 11 gear and passing cars!!.
    Must have gone faster than this when hurtling down a mountain in central France in 1999. though i can't remember the exact speed i went. Was going so fast there was no point in pedalling so i got myself tucked into a nice aerodynamic position and rocketed down to the bottom. What incredible mixed feelings of excitement and terror i had!!. Will never forget it. Good job nobody came out of a side road otherwise i would have been a gonner :/

11. king-compass

king-compass New Member

On the Flat - Somewhere just short of 60 kph

Downhill - 90 kph - Down Hyde Park Hill in last year's 94.7 - things started to get a little wobbly on my bottom of the range Hutchinson's at this point.

MTB - 81 kph - Into and out of a dip which included a small stream at the bottom - exilirating stuff.

I Believe a few years back saw the Peleton at the Tour of Spain hitting 75 kph on the flats. Now that's quick !

12. daxyboy

daxyboy New Member

50mph, down the Cairn O' mount. on a mtb.

Thought i was really kicking on until (a somewhat chunkier) friend passed me...

later he claimed 56mph.

its difficult to read the speedo when your eyes are watering...

(laughs)

13. Stevedvg

Stevedvg New Member

The best I've done was 87km/h down a mountain pass - I hit a railway track halfway down and went aerial for about 10 meters - luckily landed without killing myself. I've recently bought a new bike and this one should be good enough to crack the 100km/h mark :D

14. bedders

bedders New Member

Hi guys, try Pebblecombe hill in Surrey, England.
    First remove any vestige of rationality that may be troubleing you before you take the 1 in 6 decent, wack it in the 53x12 and sprint like mad.
    Its a bit bumpy but if you don't see 70mph you've bottled it!

Oh and good luck with the left hand bend at the bottom!

15. skillerv

skillerv New Member

I was riding a 400mile week in the mountains of West Virginia and i hit 68mph(109kph) down a nice step 2mile long hill. it was amazing but at that speed a few things go through your mind what happens when you blow a tire or somthing jumps out in front of you. also if your bike has any wobble you'll know it at these speeds.

16. gerinri

gerinri New Member

My best downhill was a 82 km/h, somewhere on an anonymus hill in northern France.

Memorable was my flat's high. 66.8 on a dike along the seaside. Windforce 10 sideways behind and the seawater bursting all over me.

17. Beastt

Beastt New Member

I'll put myself down with the other slow-pokes in the crowd. I hit 52 mph/83 kph on an old 12-speed with 52/13 gearing but I was pedalling squares long before getting there.

Oddly enough, on my new bike I haven't gone over 50 mph/80 kph (53/11 gearing). Both speeds were on moderate downhill grades and, for me, enough to inject a little adrenaline into the blood.

18. skillerv

skillerv New Member

Memorable was my flat's high. 66.8 on a dike along the seaside. Windforce 10 sideways behind and the seawater bursting all over me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah i think a sprint speed on flat is much more memorable. I was in a sprint with my guys in florida and we had a nice lead out from a van and then jumped it and hit 42.5mph (68.4kph) it was alittle sticky with the cars coming in the other direction but it was a good sprint.

19. BarSteward

BarSteward New Member

49.5mph (79.2 kph) down Birdlip Hill on my Ali road bike just outside Gloucester, England. Probably one of the most frightening things I have done. The bike felt very stable (I weigh in at 100kg and I'm 6'2"). I had a clear road and did not draght anything. You can't imagine how annoyed I was at not getting the extra 0.5 mph to hit the big 50! I could not see the speedo on the way down but the reason for the fear was the sudden realisation of just how well 3 mm of Licra would protect my fleshy bits should I fall off. Previously, my record was 46 mph down the Hill from Barbury Castle just out side Swindo on a 7 year old Halford mountain bike. Now that was stupid!

20. davek

davek New Member

My top speed was achieved coming down a mountain in the French Alps. Didn't have a speedo at the time so can't be exact but at one point I passed a sign that said 13km to the next town - I was in that town less than ten minutes later. I thought that was fast at the time but looking back over this discussion it actually seems pretty slow!