How fast to be before doing a cat5?

sparknote_s

Jun 13, 2004
Maybe in a year or so I'd like to enter a category 5 race. But I only play sports to be competitive, so I want to make sure I won't get dropped by the pack in my first race. How fast should I shoot for before racing in category 5?

Base it on a rolling hill 20 mile loop with 12 mph wind, going at a pace that doesn't make you winded, but isn't just tooling around either.

It doesnt matter if you get droped or not. The best way to train for racing is to race. "I only play sports t be competitive" :rolleyes: Thats a dumb comment. How do you play any sports at all. You'll never be competition for Tiger Woods or Lance or any superchampion, so why play at all.

Rompinrhino said:
It doesnt matter if you get droped or not. The best way to train for racing is to race. "I only play sports t be competitive" :rolleyes: Thats a dumb comment. How do you play any sports at all. You'll never be competition for Tiger Woods or Lance or any superchampion, so why play at all.

Sorry, I wasn't aware Lance Armstrong raced in category 5, or that I play golf...

It's going to be pretty hard to avoid being dropped in your first race. It all depends on who shows up and how competitive the riders are in your area. Plus, if the race has a steep climb in it, they may drop you on that. If you enter a Criterium, you probably won't have the skills to stay with the leaders through the turns and accelerations. Even in a flat, non-technical road race, if you burn yourself up at the front too soon, they can drop you from your own poor tactics.

If you can average 20 mph on your course, you may have a chance to sit in. If you can average 23 mph, then there's a very good chance that if you ride smart (which is difficult to do without experience), that you can at least avoid getting dropped.

If there are clubs in your area (especially racing clubs), try getting into group rides that aren't just social events. This will give you the best indication as to how you stack up and you can get lot's of pointers from the racers.

sparknote_s said:
Sorry, I wasn't aware Lance Armstrong raced in category 5, or that I play golf...
of course you miss the "or any superchampion", because that would totally make you understand that I ment any sport with a superhero in it. You'll never beat me, so maybee you should just quit the sport, go home and cry.

Sorry, I didn't know I would be racing superchampions in category 5 either. And while we're on the topic, you'll never beat me either.

sparknote_s said:
Sorry, I didn't know I would be racing superchampions in category 5 either. And while we're on the topic, you'll never beat me either.

We'll never beat you if you don't race.... :D

I've beaten you in every race I've ever been in!!! :eek:

You won't beat anybody on this forum either.... :confused:

Get on your bike and into a race and in the front at the end and come back here and tell us all about it.... :p

O.K? :eek:

Sparknote,

I would say the best way to guage your ability is to get into some group rides of a handful of people or more. That way you can get used to riding with people around you and also know where you stand with some of the people that will be racing with you. I've done a few Cat 5's and I was pretty surprised how spread out the group got even coming over from Mountain bike Racing. The Cat 5's aren't too organized, so you just gotta ride smart.

Best advice after you have a good 5 or so solid group rides under your belt is to just do it, don't worry about how you do, from the sounds of it, you won't place dead last, and even if you do, it's all right, you can do better the next time.

BTW, it sounds like you should stay away from group rides that have idiots like Rompinrhino in them at least for the first little bit. Because nobody likes or wants condescending a$$ holes killing the esteem of the all the young participants who really want to get into the sport and help it become more popular.

sparknote_s said:
Maybe in a year or so I'd like to enter a category 5 race. But I only play sports to be competitive, so I want to make sure I won't get dropped by the pack in my first race. How fast should I shoot for before racing in category 5?

Base it on a rolling hill 20 mile loop with 12 mph wind, going at a pace that doesn't make you winded, but isn't just tooling around either.

Have you ever seen guys racing in formation up close? I hadn't until this weekend while I was riding a double century on my own. There must have been a local race because I saw a bunch of guys, maybe 6-7, riding paceline and doing about 40 miles an hour on a slight downhill coming the other direction. That was rather unnerving, actually. I could hear and feel their bikes bumping against the ground in a big whoosh as they flew past me. I have a new found respect that is kind of hard to fathom when you see this on tv. I imagined crashing in such a formation, metal crunching, bodies flying everywhere. You really ought to go check out one of those races and get up really close to the action. Is this what you really want? If the answer is yes, it will probably be a rush for you. For me, I would prefer more of a solo event, like hill climbs, TT's or very long ultras. Crits are going to be in the thick of the action most of the way, unless you get dropped. Good luck to you.

Start riding with the local group rides if you aren't already.

Riding with the local fast guys will get you fast quick like! And give you you experience to race levels!;)

If you are going to do a CAT 5 crit, then work on bike handling and cornering skills. Come in last, no one will notice, cause a crash, no one will forget you. Fast does not equal success, fitness and brains will get you there.

Advice: do a club ride with a ton of guys and learn pacelining.

Do a race as soon as you fell up to it, you won't believe how cool it is.

Cbass said:
Sparknote,

BTW, it sounds like you should stay away from group rides that have idiots like Rompinrhino in them at least for the first little bit. Because nobody likes or wants condescending a$$ holes killing the esteem of the all the young participants who really want to get into the sport and help it become more popular.

ooo, ouch big boy. Sounds like youve got it all figured out. By the way, i'm 20, so i guess i shouldnt hound the younger crowd, cause you know, i'm an old man. dumb ass. What I said makes perfect sence. And if my little comments kill his esteem, then good. Because I dont want to race any crybabies who have to run home to mom because they cant stay with people. Chances are these people are dangerous to be around.

Rompinrhino said:
ooo, ouch big boy. Sounds like youve got it all figured out. By the way, i'm 20, so i guess i shouldnt hound the younger crowd, cause you know, i'm an old man. dumb ass. What I said makes perfect sence. And if my little comments kill his esteem, then good. Because I dont want to race any crybabies who have to run home to mom because they cant stay with people. Chances are these people are dangerous to be around.

At some point in time, I am going to race you Rompinrhino. I am about your age. I will make you suffer like a dog, ride in the dirt and get gapped off the bunch. When you've had enough, you can apologise to the newbies who deserve your encouragement, pay respects to the sporting public who pay the bills of those of us with sponsors and who definitely don't deserve arrogance or attitude, then learn to spell and punctuate.

Spark_notes - the others are pretty onto it. Train in bunches, work on bike handling, and then just get out there and have a crack - I definitely appreciate what you're saying about wanting to be competitive (I'm the same), but I think racing a bike is a bit different to other sports. For running you can work on your times, golf you can play round after round without competing, but training on a bike is never quite like a bike race.

Good luck - let us know how you go!

Rompinrhino said:
everyone starts somewhere, stop being a total T!T and grow up...oh sorry you're only 20, still no doubt you b@lls will drop any day now.....also from your emails the only dangerous person to be around would be you.

Spark note,

It sounds like you have a lot more support than not to get into some races, judging from this thread. You will have fun, just don't let anybody get to you, and DO let that competitive edge that you have kick in when you're on the course racing. It's good to see you getting into it more, (racing I mean, I can tell you're already into cycling). Welcome to competitive bike racing.

RompinRhino,

I'm your same age.

By "younger" I mean people that haven't been in the sport as long or aren't as familiar with it as others are. We have to welcome these people, otherwise nobody will like cycling. Cyclists already have a huge reputation of having a cendescending attitude towards others who are new to the sport or are just curious about the sport. I love cycling, I always have, and luckily when I got into mountain bike racing (that's where I got my start) there were people who did not care if I was good or not, they were just glad to see me out there. That's the way it should be for any sport. Fortunately, all the guys I raced mountain bikes with moved over to road with me so I didn't have to worry about people looking down on me as the 'dumb newbie cat5 racer.' I have seen that happen often though, and it sucks. I would love to see cycling grow in the US, but it never will if we keep knocking down everybody who wants to get into it.
Anyway, that is my rant for now.

I got a bike last July and rode when I could on a local 30 mile group ride. In March I did my first cat 5 race and while it was tough I was able to finish with the lead group. If you are competitive like you say, you should be able to do fine with as short as the cat 5 races are.

Thanks for all the info guys. Since I posted, I've done some group rides like you guys said. It was really helpful, lots of tips were passed on to me about drafting, gearing, etc.

Cbass said:
Spark note,

It sounds like you have a lot more support than not to get into some races, judging from this thread. You will have fun, just don't let anybody get to you, and DO let that competitive edge that you have kick in when you're on the course racing. It's good to see you getting into it more, (racing I mean, I can tell you're already into cycling). Welcome to competitive bike racing.

RompinRhino,

I'm your same age.

By "younger" I mean people that haven't been in the sport as long or aren't as familiar with it as others are. We have to welcome these people, otherwise nobody will like cycling. Cyclists already have a huge reputation of having a cendescending attitude towards others who are new to the sport or are just curious about the sport. I love cycling, I always have, and luckily when I got into mountain bike racing (that's where I got my start) there were people who did not care if I was good or not, they were just glad to see me out there. That's the way it should be for any sport. Fortunately, all the guys I raced mountain bikes with moved over to road with me so I didn't have to worry about people looking down on me as the 'dumb newbie cat5 racer.' I have seen that happen often though, and it sucks. I would love to see cycling grow in the US, but it never will if we keep knocking down everybody who wants to get into it.
Anyway, that is my rant for now.

Amen! (I can't believe this forum makes me write 10 chars)

sparknote_s said:
Thanks for all the info guys. Since I posted, I've done some group rides like you guys said. It was really helpful, lots of tips were passed on to me about drafting, gearing, etc.

That's great news! Keep us up to date - we're rooting for ya.