how fit do you need to be to race??

samwell

Aug 14, 2005
G'day,

I've been riding for a while now and I'm interested in getting into racing. I'm sure that it varies but I was wondering if there was any general rule about how fit you need to be to race at the lowest level (without totally embarassing yourself!!!!). I'm based in Melbourne if that makes any difference at all. Any other advice people have would be much appreciated too.....

Cheers,

Sam

This will depend on how far down the grades go.

Some graded races go down to E grade which is for oldies and kids.
D grade is pretty slow still, but you need to be a good rider to win.
From C upwards you will need to have been doing some sort of training to compete.

The club that is running the races will be able to tell you what grades they run.

Before you throw $180 at a race licence go ride with some other racers on a club ride with some flat out bits. You will get a feel for whats a necessary level of fitness pretty quick.

I was thinking the same thing, exactly how fit do you need to be. I'm also looking at getting into a bit of racing this summer and don't want to disgrace myself.

I have done a few Kona Weak in Weak out dirt crits in Port Melbourne and have come up last in C grade a couple of times....not exactly good for your confidence.

Maybe it's just a case of getting out there and see what happens, someone has to come last and if/when I do then there is only one way I can go and that is up the grades.

11ring said:
This will depend on how far down the grades go.

Some graded races go down to E grade which is for oldies and kids.
D grade is pretty slow still, but you need to be a good rider to win.
From C upwards you will need to have been doing some sort of training to compete.

The club that is running the races will be able to tell you what grades they run.

Before you throw $180 at a race licence go ride with some other racers on a club ride with some flat out bits. You will get a feel for whats a necessary level of fitness pretty quick.
On the flip side, don't do what I did and leave it for ages, sometimes it's just best to jump in there and give it a go, training rides, although good, never quite simulate races. I was once told "Racing is the best training".

Just get out there and give it a go, if you get dropped (which is likely) just aim to hang on a bit longer the next time.....

You also could get a day license if you want a taster before parting with the $180.

I agree with the previously mentioned notion to hook up with a local group and see how you do. Riding with others is always more of a hammer session which is what a race is like. If you keep up with the main field, you are in good shape, and should focus on sprints. If you get shot out of the back, well, you know what you need to do then. Good luck.

Explorer_H said:
I agree with the previously mentioned notion to hook up with a local group and see how you do. Riding with others is always more of a hammer session which is what a race is like. If you keep up with the main field, you are in good shape, and should focus on sprints. If you get shot out of the back, well, you know what you need to do then. Good luck.
This is true, when I wrote my reply I assumed the poster was already riding with groups, if not get out and do it, riding with others will also teach you all the techniques you need to ride in pacelines and closer to other riders, etc. If you're not already doing this it'd be wise to get out for at least a couple of months with a group before you start racing.

SpiderJ said:
This is true, when I wrote my reply I assumed the poster was already riding with groups, if not get out and do it, riding with others will also teach you all the techniques you need to ride in pacelines and closer to other riders, etc. If you're not already doing this it'd be wise to get out for at least a couple of months with a group before you start racing.
Several more great points to consider. How well do you ride in a pack? Can you get close to other riders, and not panic and take out the whole group? Riding a paceline can be confusing, and definately intimidating, if you have never done it before. Of course, maybe you are talking about doing Mountain Bike racing, in which case just focus on riding very close to other riders.

Explorer_H said:
Several more great points to consider. How well do you ride in a pack? Can you get close to other riders, and not panic and take out the whole group? Riding a paceline can be confusing, and definately intimidating, if you have never done it before. Of course, maybe you are talking about doing Mountain Bike racing, in which case just focus on riding very close to other riders.
Sorry I could have been a bit more clear - I am talking about road racing. I have a reasonable amount of experience riding in packs from many of the recreational rides I've done and also hooking up with one every now and then when i'm out training. I imagine the race situation could be a bit more hectic but I am certainly comfortable with other bikes around me and riding safely in a big group.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far - I think I might go along and have a look at a race and just check out how it all works and if it looks like I'm up to it maybe have a go next time. Also like the idea of getting involved is club training rides as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for good clubs in Melbourne - I live in South Yarra so preferably somewhere close.

I wondered about this too and in the end just turned up and did it. Caulfield Carnegie Cycling Club has an E grade category at the Glenvale Crescent Criteriums which caters really well for new riders. I did about 5 races towards the end of the summer season. I plan to get back into it in October/November, now knowing what is required to be able to compete.

As a fitness gauge, I am 43 and do mostly recreational riding, Around the Bay, the Alpine Classic (130k, not 200k), and generally about 100-150k a week.

The first race was tough - getting used to high heart rate stuff, but I gradually acclimatised over a few races. I also dropped 2-3 kilos in 5 weeks, which was fantastic.

I'll second the advice to join a club and just give it a go. There's graded races to suit most fitness levels, and the club handicappers will regrade you as your fitness improves (which it will with racing.)

Don't be afraid to ask for advice, particularly for riding in a bunch. You'll be thanked for asking what to do rather than stuffing a paceline up unknowingly and causing a crash.

samwell said:
Sorry I could have been a bit more clear - I am talking about road racing. I have a reasonable amount of experience riding in packs from many of the recreational rides I've done and also hooking up with one every now and then when i'm out training. I imagine the race situation could be a bit more hectic but I am certainly comfortable with other bikes around me and riding safely in a big group.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far - I think I might go along and have a look at a race and just check out how it all works and if it looks like I'm up to it maybe have a go next time. Also like the idea of getting involved is club training rides as well.

Does anyone have suggestions for good clubs in Melbourne - I live in South Yarra so preferably somewhere close.
I think Hawthorn Cycling Club has a really cheap club only licence that allows you to race in their events only. This is one way of getting a feel for racing before shelling out the extra cash on a full licence.

as has been stated earlier, being confident in a pack is probably more important than being superfit. get out on beach rd on the weekends and find a group to ride with. to get really use to group riding get on a track bike and race thursdays at DISC. you can pick the trackies in a road bunch, their the guys/girls who dont mind a shoulder bump and close racing :)

im looking forward to st kilda cc starting up their crits again in october, nothing like a 45min threshold session before work :D