How good a bike do I need?

estolano

Aug 10, 2004
I have a trek 7200fx that is still in the 1 month test ride period and am contemplating trading up for a better trek bike. I've been riding for 4 weeks- mostly on bike lanes in San Diego- and am pretty hooked on it. Is it a good idea to trade up for a better road bike? Does anyone like the Trek 7700?

I'm planning on putting maybe 80 miles a week on the bike- all on the road. My main use for the bike is fitness/weight loss. I'm not planning on winning any races, but speed is probably pretty nice.

estolano said:
I have a trek 7200fx that is still in the 1 month test ride period and am contemplating trading up for a better trek bike. I've been riding for 4 weeks- mostly on bike lanes in San Diego- and am pretty hooked on it. Is it a good idea to trade up for a better road bike? Does anyone like the Trek 7700?

I'm planning on putting maybe 80 miles a week on the bike- all on the road. My main use for the bike is fitness/weight loss. I'm not planning on winning any races, but speed is probably pretty nice.

The 7700's are sweet hybrids. Look at the 7300fx, 7500, and 7500fx too. They have an Alpha SL frame. Not only does it shed a pound or two, I've been told they ride better than the plain old Alpha frames too. I started on an old Trek 1000 a few years ago. If it had fit me a little better and been built with the SL tubing, I would probably still be on it.

I think the components on the 7200 are a little iffy. They leave the bike almost worth taking care of but not quite. Also, if you're sure you're going to stick with riding on pavement, ditch the suspension fork and go rigid. The Trek 1200 and 1200C might be worth a look too.

cachehiker said:
The 7700's are sweet hybrids. Look at the 7300fx, 7500, and 7500fx too. They have an Alpha SL frame. Not only does it shed a pound or two, I've been told they ride better than the plain old Alpha frames too. I started on an old Trek 1000 a few years ago. If it had fit me a little better and been built with the SL tubing, I would probably still be on it.

I think the components on the 7200 are a little iffy. They leave the bike almost worth taking care of but not quite. Also, if you're sure you're going to stick with riding on pavement, ditch the suspension fork and go rigid. The Trek 1200 and 1200C might be worth a look too.
Thanks for the advice, I ended up getting a 7700 fx. I'm pretty thrilled with it! It even seems to fit better than my entry level trek!

Now, I just need to decide whether to get bike shoes...