How good a cyclist are you ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pmailkeey, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    Interesting subject, but the following is likely not what you think.

    I suspect you all think you're pretty good cyclists (well, those of you have been cycling for
    years). Last Sunday, there was 5 of us on a ride - Solihull to Brum along the towpath. Ages: 61,
    38(me) 18,17 &
    15. The 17 & 18 year olds are the weak ones, but are fairly wild on their mountain bikes. We've
    ridden together for a couple of years, summer and winter, day and night. Likely the only
    mountain bikes with dynamo lights in the area.

    My Brompton had them from new. The youngsters have full susp MTBs and the old man's is a rigid-
    framed almost MTB.

    On the aforementioned towpath, there's a patch of mud. Nothing at all to get excited about, and the
    Brompton coped with it quite well. But the really odd thing was that those with more appropriate
    bikes got off and walked through the mud !

    It made me realise how much more experience I have than them of dealing with anything more tricky
    than a hard surface !

    Anyway, I didn't want to get my shoes muddy !
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

    Tags:

  2. Ben

    Ben Guest

    pmailkeey wrote:
    > Interesting subject, but the following is likely not what you think.
    >
    > I suspect you all think you're pretty good cyclists (well, those of you have been cycling for
    > years). Last Sunday, there was 5 of us on a ride - Solihull to Brum along the towpath. Ages: 61,
    > 38(me) 18,17 &
    > 15. The 17 & 18 year olds are the weak ones, but are fairly wild on their mountain bikes. We've
    > ridden together for a couple of years, summer and winter, day and night. Likely the only
    > mountain bikes with dynamo lights in the area.
    >
    > My Brompton had them from new. The youngsters have full susp MTBs and the old man's is a rigid-
    > framed almost MTB.
    >
    > On the aforementioned towpath, there's a patch of mud. Nothing at all to get excited about, and
    > the Brompton coped with it quite well. But the really odd thing was that those with more
    > appropriate bikes got off and walked through the mud !
    >
    > It made me realise how much more experience I have than them of dealing with anything more tricky
    > than a hard surface !
    >
    > Anyway, I didn't want to get my shoes muddy !

    Because most of my cycling is on-road now, I've recently replaced my wide knobbly tyres with thin
    slick things. They're much more efficient on-road, but I keep forgetting and riding through mud.
    I've always got away with it (so far) but its *much* more ... ermm ... interesting with the
    slicks on ;-)

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:13:28 +0000, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Because most of my cycling is on-road now, I've recently replaced my wide knobbly tyres with thin
    >slick things. They're much more efficient on-road, but I keep forgetting and riding through mud.
    >I've always got away with it (so far) but its *much* more ... ermm ... interesting with the
    >slicks on ;-)

    Slip slidin' away Slip slidin' away You know the nearer your destination The more you're slip
    slidin' away

    James

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:13:28 +0000, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Because most of my cycling is on-road now, I've recently replaced my wide knobbly tyres with thin
    > >slick things. They're much more efficient on-road, but I keep forgetting and riding through mud.
    > >I've always got away with it (so far) but its *much* more ... ermm ... interesting with the
    > >slicks on ;-)
    >
    > Slip slidin' away Slip slidin' away You know the nearer your destination The more you're slip
    > slidin' away
    >
    > James

    I thought they did 'Sit Down'

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 25 Feb 2004 18:03:27 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

    >I thought they did 'Sit Down'

    Having, an hour or so ago, had a short trundle and seen the whiteness of the local roads, I'd say
    that slip slidin' away is quite accurate.

    >I thought they did 'Sit Down'

    However, Get Down, as in Status Quo, is a completely different something or other.

    James

  6. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:13:28 +0000, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)Because most of my cycling is on-road now, I've recently replaced my )wide knobbly tyres with thin
    :slick things. They're much more efficient )on-road, but I keep forgetting and riding through mud.
    :I've always got )away with it (so far) but its *much* more ... ermm ... interesting with )the
    :slicks on ;-) )

    I rode my racer with narrow tyres (not ultra-narrow) on chippings and enjoyed it sliding around a
    bit ! I got quite used to steering while continuing in a straight line !
    --
    Comm again, Mike.