how good is actually specialized epic??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by paradox, Jun 23, 2003.

1. paradox

paradox New Member

Am I the only one who is getting confused around here? Epic is suppoused to be great bike, but.. Everyone that knows anything about that bike .... Just say what. Thanks!! :D

Tags:

2. frey

frey New Member

The Epic is a great piece of technology, and does exactly what it claims to, i.e. the rear suspension remains totally locked out until you hit something big enough to activate it, then it moves until the bumps stop and it locks out again.
    It also has a lovely frame, very light and has a nice geometry to it with lots of stand over height.
    There are problems with it though:
    1. The threshold where the rear suspension becomes active is not adjustable, so small bumps may not activate the suspension.
    2. You don't have the choice as to when the suspension activates, it does. This can cause a commitment problem when cornering. I.e. you can't be sure if the suspension will activate half way round a corner or not, which limits how fast you can take it. Most people prefer a suspension system which is predictable so you know what it'll do in a given situation.

I'm not as keen as some others to criticise the Epic, largely because Specialized have made a bike which does exactly what cross country racers have wanted for years, a bike with rear suspension when you need it, but without when you don't. Now Specialized have solved that problem the riders have found that they didn't want a bike which did that after all.

If you're interested in this sort of suspension check out the 5th Element rear shock or Manitou's new SPV system, both offer the same sort of rear suspension as the Epic, but they're fully adjustable so you can set the activation point...

3. paradox

paradox New Member

Well... I`m actually desiding wich bike to buy. Now I have Trek 7000. Don`t know why, but `i`m not satisfied with it. Kinda need to compare few bikes and choose the best of them. Right now I`m desiding between Cannondale Jekyll, Trek Fuel and Specialized epic. Mostly ride xc and freeride.
    If ya can help me with it, please do! :D Like the best choise you can find.
    Thanks! ;)

4. frey

frey New Member

Have a look at the new Trek Liquid range. Designed to be used for XC and bigger freeride stuff. All the other bikes you mentioned are XC only, and not really designed to take big hits...