How hard is it to break a hub

gpickett00

Guest
How hard is it to break a hub on a cheap unicycle. I know how easy it is
to taco wheels and bend cranks on my 24" Sun, but i was wondering how
hard it is to break a hub. Im not trying to break it on purpose, but
wondering how durable they are. Ive bent/tacoed my rim 4 times and after
truing it each time it breaks faster. So Im going to order an Alex DM24
Rim. I hear those are good. If not, any other cheap suggestions?

also how wide of a tire can fit on an Alex DM24 Rim? mine is a 24X2.125

--
gpickett00 - Level 3.7

Bicycle is just a short way of saying unicycle with a training wheel.
'Our unicycling videos' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv95)

gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

You're good with that rim/tire combo. The Sun BFR rim is also good, is
a little wider and probably stronger, also more than twice the price.
About the same weight.

When you taco your rim you are damaging it. Truing just straightens it
out; it does not make it stronger.

How did you damage the wheel? You may need to upgrade your entire
wheel, not just the rim.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

It doesn't sound like you're taco-ing that rim...I've never heard of a
tacoed rim being trued. They're always, as far as I know, thrown out.

My cheap hub bent after repeated 3'ish drops. The taco didn't come till
later. And the cranks were the first to go.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

well, when i "taco" it or what im taught is tacoed, i step on the high
side, and it kind of "snaps" back to a much better position. Then i
have to true it

--
gpickett00 - Level 3.7

Bicycle is just a short way of saying unicycle with a training wheel.
'Our unicycling videos' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv95)

gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

Wow, that must become very weak! :) Please excuse me...that does
actually sound like a taco.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

I was using a stock rim

I jumped down 2 steps (the floor was the '3rd' step)

I was not properly aligned, so the tire folded off the rim

One side of the axle twisted (the crank was still securely on the hub,
but it was now twisted out of ridable position)

It really doesn't take much to ruin a hub, if the situation is correct.
This is something I did over and over, something goes wrong,
bang...twisted hub.

It is also easy to ruin the threads on a hub, also rendering useless.
That's no better

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

"andrew_carter" <[email protected]> writes:

> Wow, that must become very weak! :) Please excuse me...that does
> actually sound like a taco.

Sun used mindbendingly weak parts on my 26"er. The rim was single
walled very soft steel. I'm not surprised George's can be repeatedly
coerced back into shape, but I'm sure it is getting weaker and weaker.
I bet the nipple holes are stretching, among other badness.

Anyway, I busted the hub on my Sun unicycle in about a month of riding
without dropping off anything more than an 8" curb. The stud that
holds the crank nut sheared off. Must have been made of pot metal.

I recommend replacing the hub now. Either way, new spokes will be
needed (figure $15 or more) to go with the new rim, and swapping hubs
now (additional $20-25) will save the expense of replacing spokes a
second time (and the effort of rebuilding the wheel again).

Ken

I think uni damage depends on the rider and the equip. combos. I've bent
my fair share of steel cotterless cranks, but I've never broken the
stock hub on my crappy united rip-off. But, on my old muni the right
taper was beginning to deform and rotate, so that the cranks weren't
parallell. That was a suzue. Still, I've never had any catastrophic
damage to any of my unis, although my original uni wheel is no longer
tru-able, because of the multiple dents in the rim. Otherwise, with some
new cranks, the thing'd be fine. I've only taco'd one wheel, and it was
a cheap savage that someone wanted broken. I jumped 14-18" off a stage
and turned 90 degrees and slammed all my weight into the pedals. The rim
taco'd, and the crank was severely bent. Hub was fine, though.

Sin rhynolite rims are great. I don't know about the DM-24, but the
rhynolite has resisted tacoing, and instead my tire has just sheared
off, but that was just because it was a 3.0.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?