How has cycling helped you?

Geocachingamrk

Aug 14, 2011
My entire youth I rode a bike, then I joined the Navy, and got away from it. I got married, had a kid, and let myself go. Now I'm looking at the end of age 47, and at the 350 mark. About five years ago I started South Beach at 390pounds, and picked up a nice Gary Fisher hybrid. I did a lot of road riding for the summer, and came down to about 350. Then I moved, and once again got away from biking dieting, and just about anything else good for me. Over time my weight came back to 380. I had to do something so last month I joined Weight Watchers with my wife. The weight is coming off, and I again went to the bike.

The neighborhood I live in now has a decent sized hill from the top of the street to the bottom, and I'm dead in the middle. I've been starting at my house and riding up the hill to the top. I ride down the street behind me and back up to my house. I did three laps the other day, and was wiped out. I had to replace the narrow tires to wide slicks (blowout and the need to be able to off road) Last week I road to the end of my street and into the woods. There are some great paths, and I'm happy I gave it a shot. Now I'm back down to the 350 mark, and feel good about where I'm headed.

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there that started out as heavy as I am, and how much have you lost?

Next question, I was wondering where I can get some ultra heifer cycling shorts that are not the show the fat spandex. I've seen off road shorts, but don't know if they make them my size.

I too rode up until I went into the Navy in 1992. I was riding everyday and it took me until January 2011 to get back into it. I don't share the same weight as you but I have gone from about 225 to 200. I'm also 6' 2" tall. I'm back to riding everyday from 15 to 40 miles daily. In January and February I could barely muster 20 miles and hour and the hills killed me. Now 20 mph is nothing and the hills are a breeze. Solo I'm riding 22/23 mph and up to 26/28 in groups. This has improved my life in several ways but most importantly, mentally. I'm sharper and more calm dealing with life and work emergencies. If that makes sense. I'm mentally tougher. A guy once told me, "work on your body and the mind will follow". I believe that. Just get on that bike every single day, no matter what. That mindset helped me power through those tough days in the beginning.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I told myself that today (Monday the 15th) is going to be the first day of my life. I'm in Weight Watchers, and am going to use the bike to get the weight moving. Today I am 357.8 pounds, and 5' 11". I will keep my progress on this thread.

Again, Thank you.

No problem and my Dad lives in Medina. If I get up there with my bike, I'll hit you up for a ride. I'm in Florida and try to get up to Ohio at least once a year.

Originally Posted by Geocachingamrk .

4.6 miles tonight! I was doing laps, and I stopped twice to make adjustments, but I felt good and am not dead!
Nice! Keep it up before that lovely Ohio weather forces you into the basement!