How he lost weight

Cubit

Guest
In the movie "The Machinist" Christian Bale loses 63 pounds. He goes from
normal weight down to amazing ultra thin. You can see his bones everywhere.

I was wondering how he did it. I read several articles. I appears he
starved himself.

Here is the best quote:

"Bale's diet secret? Books.

"When I felt hunger pangs, instead of going for food, I read. It sounds
silly, but the brain has a great ability to go into denial - and I convinced
myself that that's what I was craving.'' "

After doing the movie he regained the weight, rapidly.

Cubit
311/200/165

Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:

> In the movie "The Machinist" Christian Bale loses 63 pounds. He goes from
> normal weight down to amazing ultra thin. You can see his bones everywhere.

he doesn't lose weight in the movie. he lost it before shooting
started, and his weight remains consistent throughout the film.

the character is alarmingly thin, though. scary.

Did you forget the scene where he is driving his car at normal body weight?
Also, in the movie, he shows his daily logging of his weightloss on post-it
notes. It seemed he went from thin to thinner during that phase of the
movie. The logical way to shoot it, would be to do the scenes where he is
thinnest first, and then have him gain weight to do the earlier scenes. I'm
guessing the one scene where he is normal weight was done before any of the
actual weightloss, rather than after.

news:1gpk8g7.yaopil1tko6wiN%[email protected]...

Cubit wrote:
|| Did you forget the scene where he is driving his car at normal body
|| weight? Also, in the movie, he shows his daily logging of his
|| weightloss on post-it notes. It seemed he went from thin to thinner
|| during that phase of the movie. The logical way to shoot it, would
|| be to do the scenes where he is thinnest first, and then have him
|| gain weight to do the earlier scenes. I'm guessing the one scene
|| where he is normal weight was done before any of the actual
|| weightloss, rather than after.

It would be more risky that way.

|| "The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| news:1gpk8g7.yaopil1tko6wiN%[email protected]...
||| he doesn't lose weight in the movie. he lost it before shooting
||| started, and his weight remains consistent throughout the film.
||| the character is alarmingly thin, though. scary.

Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:

> Did you forget the scene where he is driving his car at normal body weight?

no, i didn't forget it. you said he lost weight in the movie, and i say
the progression of his weight loss is not shown in the movie. he's
pretty much a rail throughout the whole thing, and the shots of him at
normal body weight that come near the end are brief and purely
expository.

> Also, in the movie, he shows his daily logging of his weightloss on post-it
> notes. It seemed he went from thin to thinner during that phase of the
> movie.

he recorded different numbers, yes, but i thought he looked pretty much
the same.

> The logical way to shoot it, would be to do the scenes where he is
> thinnest first, and then have him gain weight to do the earlier scenes.

i think the opposite makes more sense.

> I'm guessing the one scene where he is normal weight was done before any
> of the actual weightloss, rather than after.

yes, i would guess the same.

Roger Zoul wrote:
|| It would be more risky that way.

Crossed eyes.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cubit wrote:
> || Did you forget the scene where he is driving his car at normal body
> || weight? Also, in the movie, he shows his daily logging of his
> || weightloss on post-it notes. It seemed he went from thin to thinner
> || during that phase of the movie. The logical way to shoot it, would
> || be to do the scenes where he is thinnest first, and then have him
> || gain weight to do the earlier scenes. I'm guessing the one scene
> || where he is normal weight was done before any of the actual
> || weightloss, rather than after.
>
> It would be more risky that way.

Risky in what sense?

FWIW, this is how they filmed Adrien Brody in The Pianist. Due to their
shooting schedule, they filmed the movie in reverse order. So, Brody was
very thin during the early part of the filming (6' 2", 130 lbs), and gained
weight during the course of the shoot.

GG

GaryG wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| news:[email protected]...
||| It would be more risky that way.
|| Risky in what sense?

I read it backwards for some damn reason.