How Hot Is Too Hot?

When the white line melts and runs down the road it might be too hot.

oldbobcat said:
When the tar oozes up from the asphalt and sticks to your tires, it's too hot.
Where I lived as a kid the roads had this sort of problem. In days when it was 25+, the road would become very soft and the tar would sort of "climb" up the kerbs. When it had cooled down a bit you could literally rip pieces of the new road away from the kerb like it was some sort of blackened caramel to reveal the old road below it.

Since I commute I will bike home in 100+ temps. I just take it slow, use my 16 mile route instead of 25 mile route, and get good an hydrated duing the day. It is only an hour so I just relax, don't try to race to the lights, and go to a higher gear for the hills.

During the weekend and off days I do my long rides I leave at 5 or 6 AM

I really don't live in ana area where it gets crazy town hot. I mostly deal with snow & rain through the year. ESPECIALLY this year. However, I imagine I could not possibly find myself riding a bike in Qatar on their hot days. I couldn't imagine moving in that type of temperature.

Quote by JH:
"One I knew Campy Bob would be there and looking for trouble..."

Well, hello there, sailor!

Well over 100-110 in Tucson and once adapted it was no big deal. Around 104 in Ohio was the max. IIRC. That was only 2 or 3 years ago and Al Gore told us it was due to Global Warming™. I drank lots of water...it was a dry heat. Not much sweating as it just evaporated off the skin.

The guy I was riding with that day wore cotton full finger gloves to give him some grip on the bar tape because the sweat just rolled down our arms onto the bars. I don't recall the humidity, but it wasn't all that high. He turned back and rode maybe 20 miles that day and I think I did around 65-70. Some nice guy that lived near Brandywine Falls in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park pushed an insulated vendor cart full of free bottles of ice water out near the road for passing cyclists and runners to grab. What a great thing to do on such a hot, sunny day. I stopped for a couple of refills for my water bottles and left a couple dollars in the cooler-cart.

"Just remember, in the desert, they don't remember your name."

Yeah, and the air was hot.

:)

Hydrating is really important when we do sports, but hydration begins a few hours before we actually exercise, if we don't do it we will be in trouble when we work out.

DancingLady said:
As we are heading into summer, hot weather is inevitable for most of us. How hot is too hot for you?

Obviously length of your ride will make a difference here. Do you commute in triple digits? Or find another mode of transportation. I'll be doing it, possibly pouring water over my hair and back to prevent overheating if necessary.
My pale freckly Irish skin can only tolerate temperatures up to 25 celsius and that's pretty hot by Irish standards.

Anything above 25 and I would be really struggling.

Yeah, I once was riding with temperatures above 30ºc and it was crazy. Fortunately I was next to the beach and made a stop, I still recall how fresh the ocean was...

Nothing really is too hot for me unless its like 110 degrees or so. Even then I would trying biking in the shade of trees and such as often as I can in order to get by it. It would be more chilling especially with your sweat and wind created by the speed at which you are going. Instead of 90 degrees it would feel more like 75

That can be refreshing that is true, especially downhill, but at the same time if we are climbing the heat can be terrible.

Reactions: Mengtian
ZXD22 said:
Nothing really is too hot for me unless its like 110 degrees or so. Even then I would trying biking in the shade of trees and such as often as I can in order to get by it. It would be more chilling especially with your sweat and wind created by the speed at which you are going. Instead of 90 degrees it would feel more like 75
Until you come to an intersection and have to wait for traffic or a light to change, when it'll feel more like 115.

Think Celsius. Doesn't 32 sound cooler than 90?

Try camping in 40C...

You -Think- that dipping in the sea would fix it but once you walk there and see these sweaty Scandinavian girls basking in the sun like iguanas in bikinis you realize that's not gonna happen...

Bikini clad sweaty girls and Iguanas should not be used in the same sentence.

I was thinking crocodiles at first. :D

"Brutal relax", Short Spanish movie. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6znWUbWWw

It was 87° F (30.5° C) today when I threw a leg over and headed out this afternoon. Some would consider that a bit warm.
The humidity was 58%. Some would start sweating in that kind of air.
The wind was a steady 10 to 15 MPH with gusts to 24 MPH. Some would think that too strong to hit the open roads.

But...we have RULES!

51 miles and 2100' of climbing. With a wry grin.