How Hot Is Too Hot?

DancingLady

Mar 9, 2015
As we are heading into summer, hot weather is inevitable for most of us. How hot is too hot for you?

Obviously length of your ride will make a difference here. Do you commute in triple digits? Or find another mode of transportation. I'll be doing it, possibly pouring water over my hair and back to prevent overheating if necessary.

I don't seem to have much of a problem riding in warm weather. But I think riding does start becoming uncomfortable when the weather is more than 25 degrees Celsius. But add another 10 degrees and it can become unbearable when you've been riding for a couple of hours.

I don't think any specific numbers in temperature will do it, you'll have to stop when your body can't take the heat anymore, as pushing it further will only lead to problems like dehydration, heat stroke, and skin damage. There are really times when you just have to leave the bike at home, take a cab to work, and just count your losses, as it really is incredibly hot at times, and you should take care of yourself first rather than thinking about the money you would be saving from commuting.

I also don' have much of a problem riding my bicycle in warm weathers. But, at least in my case, I end up being a sweaty mess when the weather is more than 30 degrees Celsius, I live in a place that remains warm during most months of the year. Almost never gets hotter than 35 degrees Celsius at least.

I think that really depends on the person, of course. Some individuals can withstand more extreme temperatures than others. The key is to make sure that you pay attention to your body and continue drinking plenty of water, especially during the ride. You can buy re-hydration packs from the grocery store that are specifically made to be consumed while on the go.

Inside our living room, the temperature hovers from 26 to 27 degrees C. Take note, we have the airconditioner running otherwise it easy to shoot up to 31 degrees. Outdoors, the morning temperature is 32 degrees before 7am and increases after that time. And although I still ride during the summer heat, I cannot say that it is advisable because excessive heat can be unhealthy. In fact, the media, particularly the tv networks, are issuing advice from time to time to take care against the summer heat for it can cause heat stroke.

How hot is too hot? No such thing. I've finished rides in weather so hot that even my shins and calves were sweaty. :cool:

Just go fast enough to create your own breeze. :D

I don't think there is a temperature that is too hot to ride. The key is to just be prepared. Wear some good athletic gear, that keeps you cool such as the Nike Dry Fit cycling gear. Also of course be sure to take plenty of water and re hydrate yourself at regular intervals. And also be sure to stop for breaks quite frequently to avoid over exerting yourself. If you follow those simple, common sense tips you should be fine in any conditions.