How humbling

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
I was reading the Tour De France stage results for stage 15 today, and I noticed that Lance's average speed for the stage was just over 25mph. And that's for a 112 mile ride in the Alps. Last week I was quite pleased with myself for finishing my 68 mile ride with an average speed of 17.5mph, and that only had a few short climbs.

I've been cycling for years, yet these guys wouldn't break a sweat on my hardest ride. The level at which these guys ride will never cease to amaze me.

Humbling yes, inspiring definitely. Then again these guys train full time all year round, have professional trainers monitoring their performance, micro-analyzing and tweaking their diets, optimizing every last freaking detail of their biking position/frame/etc. It's insane what they do these days...

Did you have the advantage of a pack to ride in on the flat parts and up some climbs? That makes a big difference!

RichK said:
Did you have the advantage of a pack to ride in on the flat parts and up some climbs? That makes a big difference!
No I don't. I'm out there swingin' in the breeze with pickup trucks zipping past a few inches away.

RC2 said:
Humbling yes, inspiring definitely. Then again these guys train full time all year round, have professional trainers monitoring their performance, micro-analyzing and tweaking their diets, optimizing every last freaking detail of their biking position/frame/etc. It's insane what they do these days...

Yes, I think cyclists are sometimes thier own worst enemy....We have a tendency to look at the pros and compare ourselves negatively and diminish our own accomplishments. I think we demoralize ourselves a bit. Looking back on training diaries over the past few years, I just noticed I ride less in July ...part because I'm watching the Tour but part because I'm subconsciously beating the **** out of myself.

Time to switch the tape inside my head!