How I got my bike, Cool Story

bluemarlinchef2

Aug 12, 2006
I got lucky!

I bought a 2006 Trek 7.6FX for $550!

Here is my story on how I got my bike.

A little over a month ago I decided to start riding to regain my health (I've been battling Severe Ulcerative Colitis). So I went to my local bike shop to purchase a hybrid Trek bike (a 7.2FX to be exact). I bought the bike for about $400.
I was happy with it and used it for about 1 week.

For some reason, while I was browsing eBay for things I decided to search for some of the higher priced Trek bikes. I really like the FX series for the kind of riding I do so I looked for one of those.

I found one! It was the 2006 7.6FX in red. The starting bid was $600 and it had no bids at that time. Plus shipping was about $60.

I did not believe it when I saw it :eek: but the location of the bike was in....You guessed it! Where I live. In Las Vegas. And to top it off, it was literally less than 2 miles from my house! :D

What are the chances?! Seriously.

So I emailed the seller and recieved a phone call later that day. I told her that I wanted the bike and was willing to pay her $550 immediately. She agreed to sell it to me. Of course, I had the problem of returning the bike I just purchased which was not a problem at all...thanks to the return policy at the bike shop! I had 14 days to return it. I found the bike on the 13th day! I swear!

The seller agreed to stop the auction once I returned my bike. After I did, I met her with cash in hand and bought the basically NEW bike from her!

The bike had just 50 miles on it and was spotless!

I am totally happy with it and can now do some more agressive riding.

With my heart monitor on and a cycling computer, I am good to go!

Was this fate or what? :rolleyes:

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this story.

I went from this:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1323010&f=26

To this:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1343000&f=26

What do you guys think?

Happy Ridin' :D

Reactions: haleylx4
DiabloScott said:
I think you and the seller both violated the agreement with eBay by bypassing the auction.
technically I think if there are no bids you can change/ pull the auction without violating the agreement.

Eden said:
technically I think if there are no bids you can change/ pull the auction without violating the agreement.

Ending the auction isn't a violation, but doing so to sell outside of eBay is.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted. Offers of this nature are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers and circumvent eBay's fees.

Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay

If I were you I would turn myself in to the local authorities. Either that or just enjoy the bike.

DiabloScott,

You are lame.... I found it very funny that you actually went on the Ebay web site and searched for the rules.

That was awesome! :p

Hard to pass up a good deal though :D

bluemarlinchef2 said:
DiabloScott,

You are lame.... I found it very funny that you actually went on the Ebay web site and searched for the rules.

That was awesome! :p

Hard to pass up a good deal though :D

I didn't have to search, I knew them already, and I knew where to find them to copy the link. You could have had your deal through legitimate means - you could have asked the seller to reduce the price to $550 and purchased it through eBay channels. In fact, when you sent your e-mail to the seller, she got a message from eBay telling her such a transaction violated her agreement with them You've got a nice feedback score, honor must be worth something to you.

This is roughly the equivalent of pirating music, software, or movies; I don't do it, I recognize that it goes on, I don't worry about it. But when you brag about it and ask "What do you guys think?" I'll give you my opinion. If integrity is lame then I need a wheelchair.

DiabloScott said:
If integrity is lame then I need a wheelchair.
I agree with you!! I will not deal with a seller, or a buyer, on eBay that wants to bypass the system. Doing it right means that eBay gets to post more stuff I might want. Their business model is not to post for free, and then everyone makes their side deals without paying eBay. Because eBay clearly states the rules to use their services, doing something else is DISHONEST!!!!

Scotty_Dog said:
I agree with DiabloScott and LPBolens, it's quite dishonest and you should not be gloating about it.

On another note, 2 days ago you posted that you just spent $900 on a new 7.6FX (http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=360544). So which it is, $900 or $550?

He gloated about it on another thread as well:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2968529#post2968529

I also think he did a pretty shitty thing to his bike store. Gee, I hope no one scabs the charity ride he's trying to organize.

IMHO, some of you are putting way too much thought and time into my story about a great deal!

It's not dishonest when you aren't lying.

Scotty Doggy, what I meant to say was that I got a bike valued at $900. Simple mistake. Loosen up, I can gloat if I want too! I got a great deal!

It is amazing to me that some of you are just unhappy for some people. Maybe you just hate to see others come out with a bargain. If you are smart enough to make a deal with someone why not do it?

Perhaps some of you would just pay full price for it instead of saving around $400! Quite stupid if you ask me.

Diablo, a little sensitive are ya?

Jeez, taking a low blow towards my charity ride huh? Way to help others my friend.
And it wasn't a shitty thing I did to my local bike shop! Please.... It would have been pretty stupid for me to pass up that deal and keep the bike. Besides, they do have a RETURN policy and I was within that time frame! They did not have to take it back but they did!;)

Live life you guys and loosen up a bit! There are more serious matters around the world going on ya know.

Can't we all just get along!:D

Can you just be happy for me? Gosh! :)

Diablo,

one more thing.

On the Ebay agreement it says:

"It is acceptable for sellers to end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the high bidder. Bidders are permitted to contact sellers with requests to end a listing early and sell at the current bid price; however, sellers are under no obligation to honor the request."

I paid ended up paying $550 for the bike and the starting bid was $500 and had NO BIDS!

So the seller agreed to my offer.

What where you complaining about again?;)

So what I did was not a dishonest way of making a deal. Like I said, I didn't lie to anyone!

Stop trying to burst my bubble. Put on a smile and be happy!

Pretty low though, mentioning what you did about my charity ride man!
Think about that! The ride is to help people with IBD & Colon Cancer. Kids even!
I hope nobody you know has any of those illnesses. I'm sure they would love to have a friend like you.
Just think about it.

That was pretty shitty.

Perhaps Diablo is a fitting name for you.

I would accept an apology as I usually don't stoop to this level but when you insinuate harm on a Charity event, It tends to get personal!

bluemarlinchef2 said:
Diablo,

one more thing.

On the Ebay agreement it says:

"It is acceptable for sellers to end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the high bidder. Bidders are permitted to contact sellers with requests to end a listing early and sell at the current bid price; however, sellers are under no obligation to honor the request."

I paid ended up paying $550 for the bike and the starting bid was $500 and had NO BIDS!

So the seller agreed to my offer.

What where you complaining about again?;)

So what I did was not a dishonest way of making a deal. Like I said, I didn't lie to anyone!

Stop trying to burst my bubble. Put on a smile and be happy!

Pretty low though, mentioning what you did about my charity ride man!
Think about that! The ride is to help people with IBD & Colon Cancer. Kids even!
I hope nobody you know has any of those illnesses. I'm sure they would love to have a friend like you.
Just think about it.

That was pretty shitty.

Perhaps Diablo is a fitting name for you.

I would accept an apologie as I usually don't stoop to this level but when you insinuate harm on a Charity event, It tends to get personal!

Chef:

You didn't complete the auction through eBay, you paid the seller directly... that's the violation. eBay gets a percentage of the final sale price on a completed auction but they didn't get their cut for this sale, don't tell me you don't understand that because I see you're a seller too. I'll wager if you were to describe this transaction to eBay, you'd both get your accounts terminated.

I mentioned your ride precisely to make it personal. Imagine you set up an event, put in your sweat and time and enthusiasm, you get some riders who donate and pay their fees and collect pledges, and then some folks will come and ride the route, enjoying the fruits of your hard work and maybe even the refreshments donated by your sponsors without helping you or your cause. What would you think of those people? Oh, I see you've already answered - you think they would be harming the event and cheating the beneficiaries.

You cheated eBay out of $38, that's nothing to be proud of.

I take my screen name from Mount Diablo, it's a mountain, I've been riding it for 15 years, it's certainly fitting.

LPBolens said:
I agree with you!! I will not deal with a seller, or a buyer, on eBay that wants to bypass the system. Doing it right means that eBay gets to post more stuff I might want. Their business model is not to post for free, and then everyone makes their side deals without paying eBay. Because eBay clearly states the rules to use their services, doing something else is DISHONEST!!!!
Isn't that exactly how Craiglist works? You post a ad for free and people contact you? I know, ebay isn't Craiglist. I think the better, and more honest way that Chef could have done things is to simply negotiate with the seller. You negotiate a selling price in advance, and pay immediately and get your bike. In the mean time, you post a huge bid that no one is going to top. (as either a proxy or a snipe bid). This way, Ebay gets their cut, YOu and the seller get Rep, and everyone is happy. There is nothing in the rules about negotiating with a seller for a price thats different then what the Bid states. It also does not count as shill bidding, since this isn't being done to un-naturally inflate market price. At least thats my interpretation.

Diablo,

Firstly, the charity ride I am planning is free for everyone. Donations are optional. The main focus is of course to make money to help other sufferers but more so to raise awareness about these illnesses. If I can prevent one case of Colon Cancer on that day then It was all worth it. I wouldn't say they are harming the event.
Of course, those that donate will get various promotional items as well as the satisfaction that they are giving to a great cause! That is a pretty good incentive to donate. It's also Tax deductible;)
Not everyone that attends these events are in a financial position to donate but want to ride because they feel that the best they can do is give some sweat. I'll glady take their sweat as a donation!

Keep in mind that I take my illness and all my charitable causes VERY seriously! I would appreciate it if you wouldn't compare such serious situations to a silly and irrelevant thing like this. I hate to be so serious but I have an obligation to others!

I'm sure Ebay will survive without my $35. I have paid them alot during the years. They owe me!;) (It's a joke Diablo)
Besides, I wouldn't have been opposed to another good rating. But I thought the fact that I saved what I did was more important in this case.

And Integrity! Don't tell me about Integrity.Please....You are no saint I am sure... Ha, Saint Diablo...The Saint of contradiction.

But I have to admit, you got moxy man.

If you focused all your energy on participating in my ride we could have a great one. You even did a little P.I. work....I like it!

If you would like to donate when everything is up and running, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

It's great what a response this post has recieved. I mean, look at us bickering like children. Kinda funny huh? If you can't have a little laugh about it then maybe you should take life a little less seriously. Trust me when I say that when I took life too seriously, life almost got taken from me!

My point is to just loosen up man! Have fun with it!

Thanks Blademun!

Isn't our country great? We are complaining about stupid s*&t like this?

Sumthin to think about.:rolleyes:

Take care all!

bluemarlinchef2 said:
Diablo,

Firstly, the charity ride I am planning is free for everyone. Donations are optional. The main focus is of course to make money to help other sufferers but more so to raise awareness about these illnesses. If I can prevent one case of Colon Cancer on that day then It was all worth it. I wouldn't say they are harming the event.
Of course, those that donate will get various promotional items as well as the satisfaction that they are giving to a great cause! That is a pretty good incentive to donate. It's also Tax deductible;)
Not everyone that attends these events are in a financial position to donate but want to ride because they feel that the best they can do is give some sweat. I'll glady take their sweat as a donation!

Keep in mind that I take my illness and all my charitable causes VERY seriously! I would appreciate it if you wouldn't compare such serious situations to a silly and irrelevant thing like this. I hate to be so serious but I have an obligation to others!

I'm sure Ebay will survive without my $35. I have paid them alot during the years. They owe me!;) (It's a joke Diablo)
Besides, I wouldn't have been opposed to another good rating. But I thought the fact that I saved what I did was more important in this case.

And Integrity! Don't tell me about Integrity.Please....You are no saint I am sure... Ha, Saint Diablo...The Saint of contradiction.

But I have to admit, you got moxy man.

If you focused all your energy on participating in my ride we could have a great one. You even did a little P.I. work....I like it!

If you would like to donate when everything is up and running, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

It's great what a response this post has recieved. I mean, look at us bickering like children. Kinda funny huh? If you can't have a little laugh about it then maybe you should take life a little less seriously. Trust me when I say that when I took life too seriously, life almost got taken from me!

My point is to just loosen up man! Have fun with it!

Thanks Blademun!

Isn't our country great? We are complaining about stupid s*&t like this?

Sumthin to think about.:rolleyes:

Take care all!
You found out about the bike through ebay...thats why you got a good deal. And, thats why ebay deserves their commision.

bluemarlinchef2 said:
Diablo,

I never belittled your charity ride, I think it's honorable of you to organize it and I wish you success. I have raised thousands of dollars for charity rides and I know what's involved. I was comparing scab riders to eBay cheaters because they justify their cheating with rhetoric.

"eBay will survive without my $35"
I'd survive if you stole $35 from me too. Your infraction is minor, your attitude is objectionable.

All right, unless you have a specific question for me I'll leave this thread alone and you can have the last word if you like.

bluemarlinchef2 said:
... what I meant to say was that I got a bike valued at $900. Simple mistake.
BS. You were either lying then, or you are lying now. Here's your original statement about the purchase from the other thread:

bluemarlinchef2 said:
I hate to be such a noob, but I just spent $900 on it. It's the most expensive bike I have ever had!:cool:

this thread is a ...

TrainWreck.jpg

ScottyDog,

I have no reason to lie!

I mean, I did tell my story about how I got it right?

I'll have to agree with Diablo and leave this thread alone!

It was great fun though!!

Oh, and Cheapie......No kidding huh?:eek: This thread is a train wreck!

All I wanted to do was share my good fortune with everyone.

Jeez.......

Thanks for participating in my post everyone!

Perhaps this will be the end of it!