How Important is Being Fitted for a Road Bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bunyip, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Bunyip

Bunyip New Member

I'm looking to buy a road bike that will be used at least for weekly group rides, if not a bit more during the week. Given that this my first road bike, I was thinking of buying something second hand, but have no idea about correct fit and I'm not sure I can count on the guy selling it to me to be reliable. Based on this, should I forgo the craigslist classifieds and rely on new bikes from a LBS instead? Does the increase in cost for a new bike (correctly fitted) versus an old one justify it? Or is this fitting business really only for cyclists with serious mileage? Any advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks very much! Jess

Tags:

2. rule62

rule62 New Member

My LBS offers a custom bike fitting($) that covers all the details, as well as a complimentary version(free) that covers all the basics. The latter was plenty for me when I took my first bike in to them. They were great about it. They sent me out with a fit that made it a lot more comfortable and safe. I did a custom fit when I bought a bike from them. I picked up a ton of good information that really helped me, especially in terms of improving my technique.

You might check with your LBS and see what they offer. Go with what best suits you. Given that it's your first road bike, I would definitely get some help with the fitting. ;)

3. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

You can get a secondhand bike and take the bike with you to a reputable LBS in your area and have it fit for you. Its very important to have the bike fit you so it would prevent injuries, among others. Good luck!

4. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Getting a bike that fits is very important! you will be on it, and you will need something that will last, and be comfortable, many shops offer free fitting.

any wuestion private message me

phil

5. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

Above....TRUE. Be sure the frame fits you (most importantly...from experience), the rest you can adjust to make more comfortable.